How to Learn the Important Things

  • Susan Dunn, The EQ Coach
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1 12:29 AM
      An article for your website, blog or ezine. Permission to
      reprint if byline stays intact and links are activated on
      the Internet.

      TITLE: How to Learn the Important Things
      AUTHOR: Susan Dunn, MA, The EQ Coach
      WRAP: 60

      "How to Learn the Important Things,"
      by Susan Dunn, MA, The EQ Coach

      Garrison Keillor wrote his usual wisdom at Thanksgiving, an
      article entitled �American Gratitude.� He pointed out that
      we Americans aren�t the best at gratitude, alluding to the
      stark Puritan ethic in the heritage of most of us, where
      rejoicing over good luck was considered to be tempting fate.

      So our ancestors grumbled, said he, about the weather, the
      kids, politicians, their health, and so forth. Until they
      died and went to heaven, says Keillor, �where no doubt they
      are a little edgy even now -- nice place, paradise -- a
      little surprised at who else is here, harrumph, harrumph,
      but never mind -- plenty of bliss, no tears and so forth --
      not sure how long it can last, but we shall see.�

      Keillor then goes on to tell us what he�s thankful for,
      including his daughter�s new swimming instructor. �Thanks
      be to God,� he ends his article, �for the teachers of the

      I second that motion!

      My own Schwimmfuehrer ultimately threw me out of the row
      boat into the lake to make it back to shore. Or not.
      Yes, I cried. Yes, I was mad. Yes, I made it. Yes, I was
      proud of myself.

      In this way, he taught me something more vital than just how
      to swim. He taught me how to know when I knew it well
      enough ... when to quit hanging on and take off ... when to
      quit asking head-questions and live the answers ... when to
      quit pretending I don't know how, am too young, too old, too
      dumb, too smart, too hurt, too confused, too Caucasian, too
      Italian, too scared, and just do it. In other words, how to
      remove myself from the horns of my own dilemma.

      GO TEACHERS! Some of the greatest are ready to teach you at
      the Replay Store, www.susandunn.cc/learn_EQ.htm , featuring
      once-listened-to CDs and tapes taught by some of the best
      teachers in the land. Go for the knowledge, I say, of good
      and evil, or anything else that catches your fancy. These
      fabulous teachers deliciously peel, core, seed, dice, slice
      and serve up that apple to you in a way you may never have
      tasted before. A truly great teacher is hard to find!

      Now as to learning, there�s a great anecdote in EQ-land
      (emotional intelligence), about that bastion of brainiacs,
      the University of Chicago. Not that there's anything wrong
      with brainiacs. For some unknown (but lovely) reason, it
      still remains a requirement for graduation from that
      venerable institution (which has produced some of the best
      economists we have) that one must pass a swimming test.
      Sing ho! for the classic education.

      The "final," of course, takes place in Lake Michigan.

      Simon showed up one fine day last year to take the final,
      jumped into the water on cue, and proceeded to flail,
      flounder and sink. Fast forward to when the ambulance crew
      had succeeded in resuscitating him, and the dean had put
      forth the obvious question: "Young man, what made you think
      you knew how to swim?"

      Simon's reply: "I'd read all the books about it."

      Emotional intelligence is about reality-testing, and
      managing emotions. Emotional intelligence is also something
      that can�t be learned through books.

      �Susan Dunn, MA, The EQ Coach, http://www.susandunn.cc,
      mailto:sdunn@... . Individual coaching, Internet
      courses, ebooks, EQ Alive! #1 rated EQ coach certification
      program. Email for information on this simple, fast,
      affordable, no-residency program, training worldwide. Email
      for FR** EQ ezine. The arts are part of EQ. To join Club
      Vivo Per Lei / I Live for Music, go to