Sat 3-5

  • John
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
      8:00 at 7 th st Starbucks.
      This will be more of a group workout than a classic group ride.
      10 mile warm up
      45 min of high tempo. A heart rate monitor will help here.
      Regroup at 45 min mark. This your tempo pace not mine. So it would be good to have a goal HR or wattage range.
      Regroup point Tbd on the road.
      Turn into Mts. For easy pace climbing. Good stiff climbs.
      From the high point Paceline to about 15 miles out. Zone 2
      Now unless someone magically shows up to MOTOpace we will finish up with.
      (Where is Paul Tower when you need him.)
      2 x 5 min tt pace efforts.
      Regroup.
      7 x 1 min build to Sprint efforts. 2 min rest in between.
      Sunday at this point looks wet. So it makes sense to utilize Sat.
      All are welcome.
      At this point we have 3.
      50 miles
      Get psyched this will a hard workout.
    • Darryl Sampey
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
        I'm there (of course)!

        Darryl

        On Mar 2, 2011, at 10:08 AM, John wrote:

        8:00 at 7 th st Starbucks.
        This will be more of a group workout than a classic group ride.
        10 mile warm up
        45 min of high tempo. A heart rate monitor will help here.
        Regroup at 45 min mark. This your tempo pace not mine. So it would be good to have a goal HR or wattage range.
        Regroup point Tbd on the road.
        Turn into Mts. For easy pace climbing. Good stiff climbs.
        From the high point Paceline to about 15 miles out. Zone 2

      • weinsteinjames@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3, 2011
          In if its not raining. Just post up what day you decide on.

          From: Darryl Sampey <dsampey@...>
          Sender: FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 20:17:07 -0500
          To: <FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [FrederickVelo] Sat 3-5

          I'm there (of course)!

          Darryl

          On Mar 2, 2011, at 10:08 AM, John wrote:

          8:00 at 7 th st Starbucks.
          This will be more of a group workout than a classic group ride.
          10 mile warm up
          45 min of high tempo. A heart rate monitor will help here.
          Regroup at 45 min mark. This your tempo pace not mine. So it would be good to have a goal HR or wattage range.
          Regroup point Tbd on the road.
          Turn into Mts. For easy pace climbing. Good stiff climbs.
          From the high point Paceline to about 15 miles out. Zone 2

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2011
            Saturday is the default. Sunday looks like real rain.
            And I have to give Jim his due on the 1st part of the work out. His idea. But I like it. This is more of a race simulation broken into components.

            --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, weinsteinjames@... wrote:

            > In if its not raining. Just post up what day you decide on.

          • Paul Tower
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 3, 2011
              Just reading some Frederick Velo- haha John!  I would drive up if there wasn't a Patho test on Tuesday :-)  Have a good ride y'all, and be sure to let Oustaski dangle a few bikelengths off the back the whole way home...

              TTT

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Mar 3, 2011, at 6:43 AM, "John" <jolinski@...> wrote:

              Saturday is the default. Sunday looks like real rain.
              And I have to give Jim his due on the 1st part of the work out. His idea. But I like it. This is more of a race simulation broken into components.

              --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, weinsteinjames@... wrote:

              > In if its not raining. Just post up what day you decide on.

            • Tom
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 3, 2011
                What climbs are you thinking of doing? catoctin Hallow? Just trying to get an idea of the route. Basketball tournament this weekend so I may peel off to be back at sbux by 10:30 maybe not we shall see. I should be there at 8 and psyched out of my mind to be beat like an old rug...bring it.

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
                  40 West to 17 North to Stottlemeyer to 77 East weave home the usual way from Thurmont.

                  Warm up to Rt 40 & 17
                  Tempo to Stottlemeyer & Rt 77 or 45 minutes Focus staying in Tempo range. Regroup. I expect a big split here. 45 min of TEMPO is very hard to do.
                  Down 77
                  Incorporate 2x5 tt intervals Full recovery in between
                  Focus: use your 20 min functional power number
                  7 x 1:00 builds. Focus: accelerate during the whole minute. Be Pooped at 1 minute.
                  Warm down.

                  Its a 40-45 miles ride at 17.5 mph its 2.5 hours.
                  I have some home projects later. That's enough for me.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
                    Bla Bla Bla! You might as well post in French!
                    I'll try not to get in the way.
                    So we are doing Hills, Tempo, Time trail and Sprints. (no endurance?)
                    I think one is supposed to focus on only one of the above per ride but what do I know

                    --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jolinski@...> wrote:

                    > 40 West to 17 North to Stottlemeyer to 77 East weave home the usual way from Thurmont.
                    >
                    > Warm up to Rt 40 & 17
                    > Tempo to Stottlemeyer & Rt 77 or 45 minutes Focus staying in Tempo range. Regroup. I expect a big split here. 45 min of TEMPO is very hard to do.
                    > Down 77
                    > Incorporate 2x5 tt intervals Full recovery in between
                    > Focus: use your 20 min functional power number
                    > 7 x 1:00 builds. Focus: accelerate during the whole minute. Be Pooped at 1 minute.
                    > Warm down.
                    >
                    > Its a 40-45 miles ride at 17.5 mph its 2.5 hours.
                    > I have some home projects later. That's enough for me.
                    >
                    > --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <sattlesore@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > What climbs are you thinking of doing? catoctin Hallow? Just trying to get an idea of the route. Basketball tournament this weekend so I may peel off to be back at sbux by 10:30 maybe not we shall see. I should be there at 8 and psyched out of my mind to be beat like an old rug...bring it.
                    > >
                    > > --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jolinski@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > 8:00 at 7 th st Starbucks.
                    > > > This will be more of a group workout than a classic group ride.
                    > > > 10 mile warm up
                    > > > 45 min of high tempo. A heart rate monitor will help here.
                    > > > Regroup at 45 min mark. This your tempo pace not mine. So it would be good to have a goal HR or wattage range.
                    > > > Regroup point Tbd on the road.
                    > > > Turn into Mts. For easy pace climbing. Good stiff climbs.
                    > > > From the high point Paceline to about 15 miles out. Zone 2
                    > > > Now unless someone magically shows up to MOTOpace we will finish up with.
                    > > > (Where is Paul Tower when you need him.)
                    > > > 2 x 5 min tt pace efforts.
                    > > > Regroup.
                    > > > 7 x 1 min build to Sprint efforts. 2 min rest in between.
                    > > > Sunday at this point looks wet. So it makes sense to utilize Sat.
                    > > > All are welcome.
                    > > > At this point we have 3.
                    > > > 50 miles
                    > > > Get psyched this will a hard workout.

                  • Tim Lung
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
                      No, this is what Hunter Alan calls a "Kitchen Sink" workout.

                      Bla Bla Bla! You might as well post in French!
                      I'll try not to get in the way.
                      So we are doing Hills, Tempo, Time trail and Sprints. (no endurance?)
                      I think one is supposed to focus on only one of the above per ride but what do I know

                      --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jolinski@...> wrote:

                      > 40 West to 17 North to Stottlemeyer to 77 East weave home the usual way from Thurmont.
                      >
                      > Warm up to Rt 40 & 17
                      > Tempo to Stottlemeyer & Rt 77 or 45 minutes Focus staying in Tempo range. Regroup. I expect a big split here. 45 min of TEMPO is very hard to do.
                      > Down 77
                      > Incorporate 2x5 tt intervals Full recovery in between
                      > Focus: use your 20 min functional power number
                      > 7 x 1:00 builds. Focus: accelerate during the whole minute. Be Pooped at 1 minute.
                      > Warm down.
                      >
                      > Its a 40-45 miles ride at 17.5 mph its 2.5 hours.
                      > I have some home projects later. That's enough for me.
                      >
                      > --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <sattlesore@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > What climbs are you thinking of doing? catoctin Hallow? Just trying to get an idea of the route. Basketball tournament this weekend so I may peel off to be back at sbux by 10:30 maybe not we shall see. I should be there at 8 and psyched out of my mind to be beat like an old rug...bring it.
                      > >
                      > > --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jolinski@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > 8:00 at 7 th st Starbucks.
                      > > > This will be more of a group workout than a classic group ride.
                      > > > 10 mile warm up
                      > > > 45 min of high tempo. A heart rate monitor will help here.
                      > > > Regroup at 45 min mark. This your tempo pace not mine. So it would be good to have a goal HR or wattage range.
                      > > > Regroup point Tbd on the road.
                      > > > Turn into Mts. For easy pace climbing. Good stiff climbs.
                      > > > From the high point Paceline to about 15 miles out. Zone 2
                      > > > Now unless someone magically shows up to MOTOpace we will finish up with.
                      > > > (Where is Paul Tower when you need him.)
                      > > > 2 x 5 min tt pace efforts.
                      > > > Regroup.
                      > > > 7 x 1 min build to Sprint efforts. 2 min rest in between.
                      > > > Sunday at this point looks wet. So it makes sense to utilize Sat.
                      > > > All are welcome.
                      > > > At this point we have 3.
                      > > > 50 miles
                      > > > Get psyched this will a hard workout.

                    • RAYMOND TRENTINI
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
                        So, just a normal ride with John then?

                        To: FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com
                        From: avctal@...
                        Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 09:09:29 -0800
                        Subject: Re: [FrederickVelo] Re: Sat 3-5

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
                          Timmy!  You should come over to the dark side tomorrow morning!!

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
                            Oh man! it's a little bit early to bring the 'Timmy' out of the Quiver.

                            Ha! since I need to improve every part of my cycling I need to practice everything.

                            We could always do a Feinberg Mope Ride.

                            Kitchen Sink = "Train as the children play". Dr Fartlek

                            Actually a big motivation is Sunday looks pretty wet. Might be a recovery day on the trainer.
                          • John
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
                              Kitchen Sink

                              "I had no big event, no A race, no Grand Fondo,…just a desire to see what it would take to push things to the next level.

                              Before I started this, I spent some time talking to Hunter about what it will take and one of the longer workouts he challenged me to do was one he called "Kitchen Sink". The "Kitchen Sink" workout is plain mean. A 5 hour plus ride with specific systems workout in each hour. Basically the first hour has 8 – 10 power building sprints, second hour has FTP raising 2 x 20 minute SST, third 4-5 VO 2 Max building intervals, fourth focuses on 4 – 6 very painful Anaerobic Capacity power intervals and finally in the fifth hour an nice tempo ride home to "brush-up" on your muscular endurance. The challenge was on and to add to the pain, I chose a nice 107 mile loop to make to make sure I had the time to do all the work."

                              So we are doing a 'Mini sink ride'

                              We could always do 2 laps.
                            • John
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
                                Fartlek Training

                                By Dr. Shawn Thistle DC, DAc, CSCS, ART®

                                "What is Fartlek Training?

                                Fartlek training is a combination of several types of training, and is generally associated with running (although it can be used for cycling and swimming as well). Fartlek run training involves easy running (~ 70% VO2 max) combined with either hill training or short, fast bursts of running (at ~ 85-90% VO2 max) for brief time periods (30-90 seconds for example). This basic format could be applied to cycling and swimming by simply combining long, slow distance training; pace-tempo training; and interval training.

                                A Fartlek workout challenges the systems of the body and may help reduce boredom and monotony that can hinder a normal long distance workout. This type of training is likely to increase VO2 max, increase the lactate threshold, and improve running economy and fuel utilization."

                                There that should hook Dwayne out of the winter Doldrums.
                              • Darryl Sampey

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 4, 2011
                                    And as a side note. Anyone is welcome to High Jack the ride and save me from myself.