For something a bit different

  • John Olinski
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 3, 2008
      My guess is most of you are booked Tuesday night but Ray had an
      interest in a nite ride Thursday.
      So here is my plan. Start time of 5:30 at my house Thursday and then a
      2:30 ride so make sure your lights are charged. The terrain is varied
      from full on 1st gear power hills with roots and leaves to Double track
      gravel. The bulk of the ride is on a single track with more sediment
      than the watershed. Its fast twisty and a bunch of fun. It reminded me
      of the Reston Crit when I was trying to hang on to Walrus and TTT. But
      any time I ride with those 2 it reminds me of the Reston Crit. The
      second part of the ride is hosted by another fellow so we kind of
      follow his rules.

      My address is 6799 Balmoral Ridge, New Market MD.
      Its in Lake Linganore and the security can be a pain in the butt on
      parking.
      This is probably not a great 'shake down cruise' for your bike. please
      make sure everything is in running order.
      John Olinski
    • John Olinski
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3, 2008
        Looks like the ride time will be 6:25. Arrive anytime after 5:30 at
        my house. Trust me it will take a bit longer to get rolling.

        --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "John Olinski" <jolinski@...>
        wrote:

        > My guess is most of you are booked Tuesday night but Ray had an
        > interest in a nite ride Thursday.
        > So here is my plan. Start time of 5:30 at my house Thursday and
        then a
        > 2:30 ride so make sure your lights are charged. The terrain is
        varied
        > from full on 1st gear power hills with roots and leaves to Double
        track
        > gravel. The bulk of the ride is on a single track with more
        sediment
        > than the watershed. Its fast twisty and a bunch of fun. It reminded
        me
        > of the Reston Crit when I was trying to hang on to Walrus and TTT.
        But
        > any time I ride with those 2 it reminds me of the Reston Crit. The
        > second part of the ride is hosted by another fellow so we kind of
        > follow his rules.
        >
        > My address is 6799 Balmoral Ridge, New Market MD.
        > Its in Lake Linganore and the security can be a pain in the butt on
        > parking.
        > This is probably not a great 'shake down cruise' for your bike.
        please
        > make sure everything is in running order.
        > John Olinski

      • Jim Johnson
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
          Can you ride it on a cross bike?

          Jim (CG)

          --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "John Olinski" <jolinski@...> wrote:

          > My guess is most of you are booked Tuesday night but Ray had an
          > interest in a nite ride Thursday.
          > So here is my plan. Start time of 5:30 at my house Thursday and then a
          > 2:30 ride so make sure your lights are charged. The terrain is varied
          > from full on 1st gear power hills with roots and leaves to Double track
          > gravel. The bulk of the ride is on a single track with more sediment
          > than the watershed. Its fast twisty and a bunch of fun. It reminded me
          > of the Reston Crit when I was trying to hang on to Walrus and TTT. But
          > any time I ride with those 2 it reminds me of the Reston Crit. The
          > second part of the ride is hosted by another fellow so we kind of
          > follow his rules.
          >
          > My address is 6799 Balmoral Ridge, New Market MD.
          > Its in Lake Linganore and the security can be a pain in the butt on
          > parking.
          > This is probably not a great 'shake down cruise' for your bike. please
          > make sure everything is in running order.
          > John Olinski

        • John Olinski
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
            Hmm? since I have not been on a cross bike. I would say sure! just
            for the entertainment value ( mine that is ). I would say 97% is
            doable and fun but that 3% sucks on a MT bike as well. Ask Steve or
            Paul as they rode it on MT Bikes. I'm thinking the rock crossings
            some of the creek and hills may be an issue. I don't think a cross
            bike is geared down quite as much and I seem to remember Paul
            saying "boy the shock just saved my ass cause I was dead meat". The
            other part is how does the cross bike turn? quick and fast or a bit
            lazy?

            --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Johnson" <johnsoni@...>
            wrote:

            > Can you ride it on a cross bike?
            >
            > Jim (CG)
            >
            > --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "John Olinski" <jolinski@>
            wrote:

            > > My guess is most of you are booked Tuesday night but Ray had an
            > > interest in a nite ride Thursday.
            > > So here is my plan. Start time of 5:30 at my house Thursday and
            then a
            > > 2:30 ride so make sure your lights are charged. The terrain is
            varied
            > > from full on 1st gear power hills with roots and leaves to Double
            track
            > > gravel. The bulk of the ride is on a single track with more
            sediment
            > > than the watershed. Its fast twisty and a bunch of fun. It
            reminded me
            > > of the Reston Crit when I was trying to hang on to Walrus and
            TTT. But
            > > any time I ride with those 2 it reminds me of the Reston Crit.
            The
            > > second part of the ride is hosted by another fellow so we kind of
            > > follow his rules.
            > >
            > > My address is 6799 Balmoral Ridge, New Market MD.
            > > Its in Lake Linganore and the security can be a pain in the butt
            on
            > > parking.
            > > This is probably not a great 'shake down cruise' for your bike.
            please
            > > make sure everything is in running order.
            > > John Olinski

          • John Olinski
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
              I would say it is similar to the Yellow trail in Gambrill. We did it
              for years on no suspension bikes with toe straps. Was it fun hell
              yea. Do I have bear trap indentaions in my shins 20 years later hell
              yea.

              wrote:

              > Can you ride it on a cross bike?
              >
              > Jim (CG)
              >
              > --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "John Olinski" <jolinski@>
              wrote:

              > > My guess is most of you are booked Tuesday night but Ray had an
              > > interest in a nite ride Thursday.
              > > So here is my plan. Start time of 5:30 at my house Thursday and
              then a
              > > 2:30 ride so make sure your lights are charged. The terrain is
              varied
              > > from full on 1st gear power hills with roots and leaves to Double
              track
              > > gravel. The bulk of the ride is on a single track with more
              sediment
              > > than the watershed. Its fast twisty and a bunch of fun. It
              reminded me
              > > of the Reston Crit when I was trying to hang on to Walrus and
              TTT. But
              > > any time I ride with those 2 it reminds me of the Reston Crit.
              The
              > > second part of the ride is hosted by another fellow so we kind of
              > > follow his rules.
              > >
              > > My address is 6799 Balmoral Ridge, New Market MD.
              > > Its in Lake Linganore and the security can be a pain in the butt
              on
              > > parking.
              > > This is probably not a great 'shake down cruise' for your bike.
              please
              > > make sure everything is in running order.
              > > John Olinski

            • Jim Johnson
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008

                I’m going to try to be there.  Will e-mail if I can’t.

                Jim (CG)

                Jim Johnson

                Plant Operations Manager

                UMBI Shady Grove

                 P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail!

                wrote:

                > > My guess is most of you are booked Tuesday night but Ray had an
                > > interest in a nite ride Thursday.
                > > So here is my plan. Start time of 5:30 at my house Thursday and
                then a
                > > 2:30 ride so make sure your lights are charged. The terrain is
                varied
                > > from full on 1st gear power hills with roots and leaves to Double
                track
                > > gravel. The bulk of the ride is on a single track with more
                sediment
                > > than the watershed. Its fast twisty and a bunch of fun. It
                reminded me
                > > of the Reston Crit when I was trying to hang on to Walrus and
                TTT. But
                > > any time I ride with those 2 it reminds me of the Reston Crit.
                The
                > > second part of the ride is hosted by another fellow so we kind of
                > > follow his rules.
                > >
                > > My address is 6799 Balmoral Ridge, New Market MD.
                > > Its in Lake
                Linganore and the security can be a pain in the butt
                on
                > > parking.
                > > This is probably not a great 'shake down cruise' for your bike.
                please
                > > make sure everything is in running order.
                > > John Olinski

              • stphn_whl
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
                  I am going to try and make it out there also. FYI, the night rides start tonight at Gambrill. You must sign up for these rides.

                • John Olinski
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
                    Now I'm sure there is a good reason to sign up for a ride.
                    Is it just to track everybody. People In people Out?
                    Don't let the Czarzina hear about that.

                    WTF! How about some slow friends showing up? Oh that's right I'm the
                    slow guy. Damm. Wait.... Wait... Dwayne Do you have a MTB and lights?

                    --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "stphn_whl" <StphnWhl@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I am going to try and make it out there also. FYI, the night rides
                    start tonight at Gambrill. You must sign up for these rides.

                    > --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Johnson" <johnsoni@>
                    wrote:

                    > > I'm going to try to be there. Will e-mail if I can't.
                    > >

                    > > Jim (CG)
                    > >

                    > > Jim Johnson
                    > >
                    > > Plant Operations Manager
                    > >
                    > > UMBI Shady Grove
                    > >
                    > > P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail!
                    > >

                    > > _____

                  • rustitrek
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
                      Hello!!! Test 1,2,3...

                      wrote:

                      > Now I'm sure there is a good reason to sign up for a ride.
                      > Is it just to track everybody. People In people Out?
                      > Don't let the Czarzina hear about that.
                      >
                      > WTF! How about some slow friends showing up? Oh that's right I'm
                      the
                      > slow guy. Damm. Wait.... Wait... Dwayne Do you have a MTB and
                      lights?

                      > --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "stphn_whl" <StphnWhl@>
                      > wrote:
                      >

                      > > I am going to try and make it out there also. FYI, the night
                      rides
                      > start tonight at Gambrill. You must sign up for these rides.
                      > >

                      > > --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Johnson" <johnsoni@>
                      > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm going to try to be there. Will e-mail if I can't.
                      > > >

                      > > > Jim (CG)
                      > > >

                      > > > Jim Johnson
                      > > >
                      > > > Plant Operations Manager
                      > > >
                      > > > UMBI Shady Grove
                      > > >
                      > > > P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail!
                      > > >

                      > > > _____

                    • RAYMOND TRENTINI
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
                        I will not be able to make it this week, but maybe I will try to make it a
                        priority to look at my mountain bike this weekend and make sure the stuff
                        that is supposed to hold air, holds air, and the stuff that is supposed to
                        go around, goes around, you get the idea. I also need to get some kind of
                        light.

                        When and if I do get out there I am pretty sure I will be plenty slow. You
                        may have to wait for me at the turns.

                      • rustitrek
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
                          Sorry about that. I was getting bounced. I'm good to go now, I guess.
                          Everyone may now go about your normal business. Problem solved. Btw,
                          I want no comments from the peanut gallery ( That would be
                          you...Lumpy ) I will not be on the ride tmrw night, I figured I would
                          throw that in for good measure.( NO LIGHTS!!! )

                          --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "rustitrek" <rustitrek@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Hello!!! Test 1,2,3...
                          >

                          > --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "John Olinski" <jolinski@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Now I'm sure there is a good reason to sign up for a ride.
                          > > Is it just to track everybody. People In people Out?
                          > > Don't let the Czarzina hear about that.
                          > >
                          > > WTF! How about some slow friends showing up? Oh that's right I'm
                          > the
                          > > slow guy. Damm. Wait.... Wait... Dwayne Do you have a MTB and
                          > lights?
                          > >
                          > > --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "stphn_whl" <StphnWhl@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > >

                          > > > I am going to try and make it out there also. FYI, the night
                          > rides
                          > > start tonight at Gambrill. You must sign up for these rides.
                          > > >

                          > > > --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Johnson" <johnsoni@>

                        • John Olinski
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
                            Ray is my new best friend
                            He actually looks at his bike before he rides it.
                            I thought you crushed us last year on the masser rd workouts. Don't
                            you have lights?
                            Here is my suggestion on lights. Get the helmet light. Its about all
                            you need. I have been using the bar mounted lights for 15 years and
                            they are OK but they were always 'behind in the turns'. I still use
                            the bar mounted but the helmet light is really good. I guess the
                            deall is the helmet light is not good in the dust. Not an issue
                            around here. The lower mount of the bar lights also provides a bit of
                            texture (shadows) since it has a lower angle of attack.
                            I'm using a helmet light from WB about 390 lumens on high. I saw a
                            guy do fine with a bar mounted battery LED flashlight. I would get 2
                            and tape one to your helmet. I would also not go out alone with that
                            set up. We augmented his lights by following him and leading him.
                            This is more about the sheer fun of riding. I happened to get a ass
                            kicking workout cause Steve and Paul Kicked my ass.
                            Or better yet borrow a set.

                            --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "RAYMOND TRENTINI"
                            <rantinray@...> wrote:

                            > I will not be able to make it this week, but maybe I will try to
                            make it a
                            > priority to look at my mountain bike this weekend and make sure the
                            stuff
                            > that is supposed to hold air, holds air, and the stuff that is
                            supposed to
                            > go around, goes around, you get the idea. I also need to get some
                            kind of
                            > light.
                            >
                            > When and if I do get out there I am pretty sure I will be plenty
                            slow. You
                            > may have to wait for me at the turns.
                            >

                            > >From: "John Olinski" <jolinski@...>
                            > >To: FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com
                            > >Subject: [FrederickVelo] Re: For something a bit different
                            > >Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:27:19 -0000
                            > >
                            > >Now I'm sure there is a good reason to sign up for a ride.
                            > >Is it just to track everybody. People In people Out?
                            > >Don't let the Czarzina hear about that.
                            > >
                            > >WTF! How about some slow friends showing up? Oh that's right I'm
                            the
                            > >slow guy. Damm. Wait.... Wait... Dwayne Do you have a MTB and
                            lights?

                            > >--- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "stphn_whl" <StphnWhl@>
                            > >wrote:
                            > >

                            > > > I am going to try and make it out there also. FYI, the night
                            rides
                            > >start tonight at Gambrill. You must sign up for these rides.
                            > > >

                            > > > --- In FrederickVelo@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Johnson" <johnsoni@>

                          • John Olinski
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 5, 2008
                              Please do not loan Whineberg Lights. Or if you do just put a 30 min
                              charge in the battery so we can leave him in dark.

                              BTW Jimbo is thinking about starting the GoP season. We may need a
                              defibralater. Crocket is in charge of Mouth to mouth.