Re: [FraDiavolo] Percoco, Masci, DelBono in Terracina

  • Pam Costa
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2005
      Hi Marie,
      Thanks for answering my note. You're right, we may be related. My grandmother's (Emilia) maiden name was Masci. My grandfather's mother's maiden name was Masci and my aunt Mary (Percoco) married Angelo Masci. My Percoco family were Ubaldo (Frank on the 1930 census) Percoco (grandfather), Emilia Masci (grandmother), sons Angelo and Silvino, and daughters Mary and Esther (my mother).

      On the 1930 census, my grandparents lived in Somerville at 13 Princeton Street. There was another family in the same house, Nicholas (38), wife Rita (29 or 39, can't tell), son Ralph (8 1/2) and daughter Gilda (3 1/2) Masci. When my grandparents came from Italy they came to Ellis Island in 1920 on the Rochambeau from Le Havre France. My grandfather was 23 and my grandmother was 22. It says on the Ellis Island records that their final destination was to their cousin's house - Nicola Masci (I think that is Nicholas) and they lived at 22 Harding Street, East Cambridge.
      My grandmother has a younger brother named Robert Masci who came to the states on the Andrea Doria in 1955 (the ship sunk on it's way back to Italy!) with his family. He lives on Arlington Street in Somerville still. I am going to get in touch with my mother's cousin who is my age, soon. My grandparents mentioned that they had family in Italy, but for some reason they never wanted to get in touch with them. I'm trying to get information from my Aunt Mary and Uncle Angelo, but they don't remember very much (my aunt has dimentia). My mom passed away in 2003.
      My aunt Mary's husband Angelo, I believe (I have to verify it with him), his family was on Gore Street in 1930 census, but they lived in Medford when I was growing up.

      Does any of this match up to your family? The name Vellucci sounds familiar to me. I don't know what it is about Terracina, but I'm hitting some brick walls too. I was able to do a search of the phone books in Terracina and there are only 70 listings for Percoco and 72 for Masci. Maybe between the two of us we can figure it out! I am definetly having better luck with the Percoco side than with my father's side of the family - Knight - originally from Richmond, VA.

      Look forward to hearing from you.

      Pam Costa