RE: [FraDiavolo] Itri Origin

  • Bill Capotosto
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 28, 2012

      Linda,

      The name I have for the person who did the research is

      Mr. Saccoccio Felice, Via Toscanini, 10  04020 - ITRI (LT) Italy.

      http://www.trovanumeri.com/?azione=dettagli&id=10856169&telefono=Tel:0771729370&datab=privati&nome=Saccoccio%20Felice%20&dove=Itri

      And for anyone who might be interested, the Paolo Capotosto whose birth certificate he found, and who wasn’t our Paolo, was the son of Luigi Capotosto and Maddalena Branca, born December 28th, 1876, in Itri.  We have a copy of it.

      Bill

      From: Bill Capotosto <bcapotosto@...>
      To: FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 5:15 PM

      Paul,

      I’ve seen a few of your posts here and there over the years and wondered if there might be a connection somewhere.  But I don’t have enough to keep up with the members of the Yahoo group.

      My brother Tom and I have been scrounging for info for a few years now, to the point of having enough to apply for dual Italian citizenship.  This is what we think we know.  My grandfather was Paolo Capotosto and my grandmother was Maria (Marietta) Paparello.  He was born on March 3rd, 1876, son of Salvatore Capotosto and Alessandra Manzo.  She was born September 9th, 1887, daughter of Francesco Paolo Paparello and Maria Rosaria Capotosto (unrelated).  We have since been able to obtain a copy of her birth certificate, but not his.  We have less reliable information putting his birth year as 1873 and hers as 1886.

      We first had someone in Itri search for Paolo’s birth record and he found one, but not the right one.  We have a copy of that as well.  But we were fortunate enough to find letters sent in 1905 from the municipal government in Itri confirming their birth records so that they could get married that year.  They lived in NYC, Avenue B, I believe, eventually moving to Woodhaven, Queens.

      We also have mention here and there of two cousins, one of whom fought in WWI in the US Army and one who fought in the Italian Army.  I can find more on them if it’s of any interest to you.

      I believe we may still have the contact info for the person who did the research in Itri also.

      Bill Capotosto

      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 7, 2012

        Paul,

        What I’ve sent is as far back as I know.  I do have some (possibly inaccurate) notes about a first cousin of Maria Rosaria Capotosto Paparello, my great-grandmother and wife of Francesco Paolo Paparello.  He was Paul Capotosto, husband of Mary Giovanne.  They had six children: Frank, Louis, Anthony, Mary, Helen, and Paul.  The notes say he cleaned and blocked men’s hats and did shoe repair and that he opened a shoe repair shop for his sons.

        I remember what struck me about one of your posts somewhere.  It was a reference to 4th Street in NYC.  I have addresses of 59 Avenue B and 246 E 4th Street for my grandparents, Paolo and Marietta.

        Bill