Re: [FraDiavolo] Now that we are talking of Surnames; any Sodi's out there??

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2012
      Well, since most of our ancestors were peasants, they were probably looked down on, so I doubt too much care or time was taken in recording thier data much less insuring that it was accurate.

      I just LOVED how "Peasant" was listed as an occupation on the ships manifest for all but about 4 adults.  Children and some of the 60-ish passengers had "N.P." for their occupation.  No idea what that might have been.  Non peasant by virture of age maybe??

      And there was, most likely, a language barrier, so whoever was creating the manifest probably looked at them and took a guess as to ages.   Or maybe had someone who sort of spoke Italian, don't forget there was no standard Italian - everyone spoke their own dialect, working with him and the age was the best guess from what that person heard and told the guy writing the entries on the manifest.

      My father's oldest sister is recorded on the ships manifest as being a male named Angelo rather than a girl named Angelina.  Maybe she was just a really ugly 2 yr old.  I really don't even remember what she looked like since I was just 9 yrs old when she died and that was *Classified* years ago now!

      Linda