Re: [FraDiavolo] Valente & DeFazio familys from ELENA

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29 8:11 PM
      Quite possibly not the right place.  I Googled Elena and the only place that came up was

      Quartu Sant'Elena on Sardinia.

      Quartu Sant'Elena, Cagliari, Sardegna, Italy.  Quartu Sant'Elena looks to be about three miles to the east of the city of Cagiali on the gulfo di Cagliari.

      The only other location I found with a similar name is Ellena Soria.  This doesn't appear in a Google or Bing maps search but is listed in my Michelin Motoring Atlas of Italy.   I seriously doubt that Ellena Soria is your Elena.    It's visable on the satellite/bird's eye views IF you know where to look because even there it's not marked but appears as a single building at the end of a road.  It appears to be some sort of a mountian rescue building/survival house.  It's in the Maritime Alps, Piedmonte region right on the Italian/French border in the Parco Naturale Argentera.

      I'm banking that Quartu Sant'Elena  is your location.  There's a lot of water between Quartu Sant'Elena on Sardinai and Itri and surrounding towns over on the mainland of Italy.

      So yes, you probably are in the wrong place for specific help with your family unless once over here some of your family had occasion to head south to RI and mingle and marry with ex-pats from Itri the majority of whom - except my grandparents - settled in the Knightsville section of Cranston.

      I would suggest for starters looking at the library catalog for the Family History Library in Salt Lake to see if they filmed any records for Quartu Sant'Elena.  Borrowing a film of the right time frame via your local FHC and searching through it for family might be a start.   Naturally, that assumes there is one...the LDS didn't always get to film everything.  For example, the LDS was only allowed to film records for Itri for the period of 1809 - 1865.

      Search, too, on the LDS Family Search site for your family.  If nothing is there today, it could be next month.  This is a long term project that's underway to digitize the FHL in Salt Lake so more gets added regularly.

      There is also a public tree at Ancestry with quite a lot of info on the family here & pix.  Would that be yours?

      From looking at the census & this tree, it seems your family remained in Newton, Middlesex Co, MA so look there in city directories, newspapers and vital records.  Death certs and obits, if the family published them, should yield parents.

      Marriage for Gaetano & Asunta was back in Italy so you would have to look at records from there and hopefully they were filmed so you can access them.

      Try networking with the families of Gaetano & Asunta's children.  Looking at the DOD's for them, Adeline was 2000, Daniel 2003 and Joseph 1988 so chances of obits are good and if they are as biographical as the ones in RI you should be able to learn the names of thier children, maybe track a couple down and try to establish contact.  They could well have some old family papers or stories that handed down and will provide you with some leads to pursue.

      Good Luck.

      Linda

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29 8:25 PM
        I also have not heard of Elena, Italy and agree that a quick search leads you to Sant Elena.  This group is comprised of people researching their ancestors who came from Itri and Terracina and a few other surrounding towns.  I am from the Boston area and I do recognize the name Valente.  There were Valente's in Cambridge and also DeFazio's in Newton, though I do not know either families personally.   What specifically are you looking into??

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30 1:20 AM
          Hi I saw your posting regarding "Elena".

          I actually live in Itri and happen to know that "Elena" is an old town which nowadays has become included in the town of Gaeta.

          I found this on Wikipedia Italia which explains everything.  I have translated it into English for you.

          I hope this helps !!!

          This is where we live:
          http://trecancelle.shapcott-family.com

          We have a Blog in which I regularly write about our life and adventures here in Italy.
          http://trecancelle.wordpress.com

          Also take a look at my SOUTH LAZIO WEBSITE which has lots of info and photos of this part of Italy:  http://southlazio.shapcott-family.com

          Louise

          Porto Salvo, or the Borgo di Gaeta, is an important district of the town of Gaeta.

          The town grew up adjacent to the castle of Gaeta during the course of centuries, as a place of residence and employment of the population, who worked the land and sea.

          The cultivation of olives (Gaeta olives are indeed famous) was important to the local economy through export. In the nineteenth century on the territory of Gaeta 6,810 bushels were dedicated to this crop. Rope was also exported, produced by sorghum high quality typical of the area. The shipyards, which are present in many places, resulted in a merchant fleet in town for centuries, and also the export of boats. The production was in crisis when the demand for large wooden boats declined.

          Il Borgo di Gaeta, was separated from the St. Erasmus district, and by a Royal Decree of 15 March 1897, became an independent municipality. The push was given by liberal members: who sought autonomy from the ancient administration that remained from the Bourbon reign.

          The town of Elena was named in honor Princess Elena, the future Queen of Italy.
          By Royal Decree on 17 February 1927, after thirty years of division, following a major reorganization of the regional towns of Gaeta and Elena were united again under the name Gaeta.

          http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porto_Salvo_%28Gaeta%29

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30 7:32 AM
            Boy, that is a great help and perfect clarification.  How very interesting.

            I also have not heard of Elena, Italy and agree that a quick search leads you to Sant Elena.  This group is comprised of people researching their ancestors who came from Itri and Terracina and a few other surrounding towns.  I am from the Boston area and I do recognize the name Valente.  There were Valente's in Cambridge and also DeFazio's in Newton, though I do not know either families personally.   What specifically are you looking into??

            I'm not sure if I'm in the right place but here goes. I'm researching the Gaetano Raffalle Valente and Assunta Maria DeFazio, from ELENA, Italy to Boston, Massachusetts. Any one out there know this family???

          • PAUL SHAPCOTT
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30 8:27 AM
              You are very welcome

              Ciao for now !!!

              Boy, that is a great help and perfect clarification.  How very interesting.

              I also have not heard of Elena, Italy and agree that a quick search leads you to Sant Elena.  This group is comprised of people researching their ancestors who came from Itri and Terracina and a few other surrounding towns.  I am from the Boston area and I do recognize the name Valente.  There were Valente's in Cambridge and also DeFazio's in Newton, though I do not know either families personally.   What specifically are you looking into??

              I'm not sure if I'm in the right place but here goes. I'm researching the Gaetano Raffalle Valente and Assunta Maria DeFazio, from ELENA, Italy to Boston, Massachusetts. Any one out there know this family???

            • Sandra L. Mullen
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2011
                Elena is now called GAETA, I'm looking for birth cert for Gaetano Valente and Assunta DeFazio, where in Italy do I send for them?

                Message 7 of 8 , May 2, 2011
                  Where would I get a birth certificate for Assunta DeFazio and Gaetano Valente?? Thanks for the info it was great! I'm doing this research for my nephew who's getting married and this is his wedding present.   Thanks again

                                                                                                                 Sandy