Re: [FraDiavolo] Re: Itrani Origins

  • Paul Capotosto
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 22, 2011

      Rick,

      Thanks for the info on the LDS microfilms, I did hear about them and there is one near me in NY, I have to make a point to get there when time permits and from what you have mentioned I am sure it will be quite productive. I have a lot of info already, just have those gaps that can be frustrating.

      I will let you know if I get it fully translated, however I found another although unorthodox method, I actually word searched my family name in the Catasta and did a word translation on the abbreviated document. It was rough and some of it makes no sense but some of it does and it helped me to learn a little more. It was fairly simple there were only 12 listings of Capotosto on the original document. Then cut and paste and hit translate.

      Regards,

      Paul

    • Paul Capotosto
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 22, 2011
        Hey Linda,

        I really appreciate the info and where to locate it, the WWII link was quite interesting and very sad at the same time, all that history not only of our families but of all Itrani. Could not imagine the grief they suffered. I do hope to visit there one day and yes I will be visiting RI soon as my daughter will be looking at the nearby college for their pharmacy program, and hopefully during the feast.

        I look forward to the discoveries ahead, thanks again

        Regards,
        Paul

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 30, 2011

          Paul,

          I believe my great-great grandmother was Domenica Capotosto.  Greg Pezza has an extensive family tree and I just received this going back to middle 1800’s.

          It would be great to have you and your family at the feast in Cranston this coming July.

          I am not exactly sure what or who the catalyst was to send a lot of Itrani families to Cranston , but the church was built in the early 1900’s.  There is another church next door called St. Ann ’s and also the cemetery is St. Ann ’s.  The Italians did want their own place of worship and the church was built.  My grandmother came to Cranston during the war with 2 children, but my grandfather Paolo Pezza stayed and fought for Italy in WWI.  He came to Cranston after the war and joined my grandmother and they had my two uncles, Mike and Joe, whom are still living and my mother was the baby who passed away in 2009.

          It is fascinating.  They came for a better life.  Some went to France, some to New York , some to Canada .  Even you talk to some of the people that lived in Itri during WWII.  I had cousins from Canada who came to see us two years ago.  They left Itri after WWII and never went back.  They said they wanted to forget about that life and the horrors they saw during WWII.  Bombings so close.  A family of 5 people fleeing to shelters/caves in the mountains and living on one loaf of bread and small amounts of water for long periods of time until it was safe to try to go back to what was left of their homes.

          And then there are people that settled here after WWII and they and their families go back and forth all the time, enjoying a beautiful area, seeing family and friends.

          I hope to get there someday to take that walk.

          Domenic

          Domenic Livoli

          Livoli Estimating Service

          24 Juniper Road

          Upton, MA   01568-1481

          Tel.  (508) 529-0362

          Fax: (508) 529-0384

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 30, 2011
            Are you related to Francesco Capotosto that passed away in Itri on May, 2009?

            Kathy

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 31, 2011

              Kathy,

              I am not exactly sure, but I would imagine down the line there would be some relation.

              Domenic Livoli

              Livoli Estimating Service

              24 Juniper Road

              Upton, MA   01568-1481

              Tel.  (508) 529-0362

              Fax: (508) 529-0384

              Are you related to Francesco Capotosto that passed away in Itri on May, 2009?

              Kathy

              > I believe my great-great grandmother was Domenica Capotosto.
              > Greg Pezza has
              > an extensive family tree and I just received this going back to middle
              > 1800's.
              >

              > It would be great to have you and your family at the feast in
              > Cranston this
              > coming July.
              >

              > I am not exactly sure what or who the catalyst was to send a lot
              > of Itrani
              > families to Cranston , but the church was built in the early
              > 1900's. There
              > is another church next door called St. Ann 's and also the
              > cemetery is St.
              > Ann's. The Italians did want their own place of worship and the
              > church was
              > built. My grandmother came to Cranston during the war with 2
              > children, but
              > my grandfather Paolo Pezza stayed and fought for Italy in WWI.
              > He came to
              > Cranston after the war and joined my grandmother and they had my
              > two uncles,
              > Mike and Joe, whom are still living and my mother was the baby
              > who passed
              > away in 2009.
              >

              > It is fascinating. They came for a better life. Some went to
              > France , some
              > to New York , some to Canada . Even you talk to some of the
              > people that lived
              > in Itri during WWII. I had cousins from Canada who came to see
              > us two years
              > ago. They left Itri after WWII and never went back. They said
              > they wanted
              > to forget about that life and the horrors they saw during WWII.
              > Bombings so
              > close. A family of 5 people fleeing to shelters/caves in the
              > mountains and
              > living on one loaf of bread and small amounts of water for long
              > periods of
              > time until it was safe to try to go back to what was left of
              > their homes.
              >

              > And then there are people that settled here after WWII and they
              > and their
              > families go back and forth all the time, enjoying a beautiful
              > area, seeing
              > family and friends.
              >

              > I hope to get there someday to take that walk.
              >

              > Domenic
              >

              > Domenic Livoli
              >
              > Livoli Estimating Service
              >
              > 24 Juniper Road
              >
              > Upton , MA 01568-1481
              >
              > Tel. (508) 529-0362
              >
              > Fax: (508) 529-0384
              >
              > Email: dlivoli@...
              >

              > _____

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 31, 2011
                Hi Kathy,

                I don't have an answer as of yet, I have many Capotosto branches of my tree all from Itri. My Gr Gr Grandfather Raffaele brought his two sons, Antonio and Pasquale (my Gr Grandfather) to NY 26th May 1885. As I discovered they had many cousins in Italy, some in Canada and other parts of the US. I still have much more to find, and I also hope someone already has and will share the info I seek.

                If I can help you let me know, how far back can you trace the family?

                Regards,
                Paul

              • Itri1@optonline.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 31, 2011
                  Paul,

                  I am not really following the Capotosto lineage. I belong to this group because I know the Agresti family that lives in Itri.  But, during the 4 times I have visited there (I live in NYC), I have come to know Francesco Capotosto - he was a very good customer at the Piazza cafe there.   I had found him to be a very sweet & caring person.  He was very patient with me while I had to look at 3 Italian Language books to talk to him.  He would leave early, before lunch, to go home to take care of his mother (who was over 90 yrs.).  I was deeply saddened when I found he had passed in 2009.  He was only 62 yrs.  I wish you luck in finding out more about your ancestors.

                  Sincerely,

                • bonval
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 31, 2011
                    My in laws are also Itrani folks - my mother in law was home the day bombs fell - as she heard the planes, she ran next door to the church and stood in the arched doorway - the church and her home were totally bombed but the arch stood strong and saved her life! She told us stories of living back in the caves, hiding food - my father in law hid out after one bombing raid to go into the German camp where he brought back horse meat and other food for the families hiding! I have similar tales and many current photos of Itri on my blog: Amore e' Sapore di Famiglia