Itrani Origins

  • paul.capotosto
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 14, 2011
      Dear Itrani Descendents,
      I hope you are all well and that this group is still active in research and discussion on our common village of origin. As you can see I am a new member, quite late to the party it seems, but not too late I trust?
      My name is Paul Capotosto, I reside in New York and have been told my family came from Itri. As a member of ancestry.com I have uncovered more than I ever expected on the history and lineage of the Capotosto name. It gave me many answers but also created many questions, and I sincerely anticipate that some of the members of this group can be of assistance.
      I began sporadic research about 5 years ago through the Ellis Island website, and as time permitted I found more sites and uncovered quite a bit of material. I have to say it can seem overwhelming but I truly enjoy the discovery aspect.

      So here is my question, do any of you have a connection to Raffaele Capotosto b.1845'ish married to Maria Antonia Di Fabrici (Fabrizio, Fabritius) in Itri, Sep 1866?

      I have read that you may have the 1754 Catasta for Itri, sorry I did not learn of this group sooner or I would have joined you in the purchase, I just purchased a copy that I must translate; I did however locate about 10 Capotosto families there at the time. I can't seem to link them up to my family tree as of yet. But I believe the answer is out there and one day I will hopefully find it.

      I would like to thank all of you in advance for any help you may offer and if I can help you please don't hesitate to ask.
      Ciao,
      Paul
    • rickj100001
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 19, 2011
        Hi Paul,

        I checked my Iacueo tree and I don't have any Capotosto connections in there, but has anyone recommended the LDS microfilms to you? These are microfilms of birth, death, marriage and other records that are kept by the Mormon church and are available to the general public. All you need to do is visit a Mormon church in your area that participates in its Family Search program and for a nominal cost you can rent these microfilms, for viewing on their premises on their microfilm machines. At least that's the way it was 4 years ago when I did most of my research.

        The microfilms of Itri are extremely rich with information, and if you want to trace your roots back from the present to the Catasto era they are probably indispensable. There are 26 microfilm rolls covering Itri (at least as of 4 years ago), and it's a tedious process, but the rewards are priceless. I can tell you for a fact that you will find many Capotostos in there, as I remember seeing the name often during my research.

        I also have a copy of the Catasto, and I am also interested in having it translated, I just haven't had the time to do it to-date. If you find someone that can do it, please let me know if you are interested in sharing the cost of the translation.

        Otherwise, good luck with your research.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 19, 2011
          Hi Paul,

          This being San Giuseppe & having OD'ed on zeppola & sfogliatelle (actually for sfogliatelle I don't need a feast day for an excuse) all day, it's time for some mail.

          Finding this marriage you're looking for will really be a piece of luck in connecting with someone who shares this couple and has a marriage date for you because the FHL films for Itri only cover the period of 1809 - 1865 and the marriage you're looking for is one year too late.  Then too, to be optomistic, you could find that you have the year wrong and ithe marriage was earlier than 1866.

          It's so frustrating not to have all the surviving records on film.   Still, it could be worse.  After collaborating with a descendant of Ercole Cavicchi, the brother-in-law of my husband's paternal grandfather, and finally finding just where in Italy the Cavicchi"s came from, we are now totally dead in the water because absolutely NOTHING is filmed for Cento, Ferrara, Emilia-Romagna.  Zip, zilch, nada, zero - N.O.T.H.I.N.G!  So, yes, we're all frustrated that only 1809 - 1865 records got filmed for Itri but it could be so much worse like Cento.

          Irregardless, you will undoubtedly be looking at the pre 1865 records.  One thing I found useful when I look at marriages that occurred close to the 1809 filming cut-off is to get the films for the processetti and locate the couple's file.  The processetti were the files of documents that the couple had to present prior to marriage and can contain such treasures as BMD records for the bridal couples' parents or whoever it is giving the bride away if her parents are dead and military records for the groom.

          The BMD in the processetti can help you, in some instances, to bridge the gap between 1809 and the catasto of 1754.  The processetti for the earliest of your Capotosto marriages might help shed some light on which of those 10 Capotosto families in the catasto link to your family line.

          You might find the photos at this sight interesting.  Itri in WW II during the Campaign for Rome in 1944 was smack dab between the Allied & Nazi lines both of whom were lobbing artillery shells back and forth at one another.  I've read that about 75% of the town sustained severe damage.  It must have been heart wrenching & terrifying for the people here who to learn of the destruction back home and to be worrying about the safety of  family left behind.    http://wwiiarchives.net/servlet/photo/2298/40

          Be sure to check out our group's members Paul & Louise Shapcott's "Tre Cancelle" site, too.  I don't know if they still have the narrative up on the rehab of the old farm house they bought and now live in in Itri.  Hope they do.  It was entertaining and enlightening as to how laid back real Italians are.

          You should also plan a trip to RI for July.  The Knightsville section of the City of Cranston is Itri in RI and just like back in Itri, La Festa della Madonna della Civita is held every July on the weekend closest to the actual feast day of 21 July.  Gridlock in Knightsville...don't fight it, join the party!

          I only have one Capotosto in my line.  Catarina Capotosto b. abt. 1754 - haven't found her yet in the catasto - d. 7 May 1819; wife of Pompeo Cardi b. ? d. bef. 1809.  Catarina & Pompeo would be my 3rd great grandparents.

          Yeah, my father's family was big.  My grandfather Giuseppe Fornaro was b. 20 Sep 1865 and my grandmother Rachele Cannella was b. 27 Jan 1869.  Both were long gone before my parents ever met never mind married.

          Catarina is in Rachele's maternal line.

          Linda

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 19, 2011

            Paul,

            Check with my cousin Gregory Pezza.  He has an extensive family tree.  I think the Pezza family was related to the Capotosto family in some way not too far back.  There are many Capotosto’s in Cranston , RI .  He may have traced it.  Greg is on this group.  And actually, it’s his father’s birthday today.  Joseph Pezza, 87 years old.  Happy Birthday, Uncle Joe!!

            Domenic Livoli

            Livoli Estimating Service

            24 Juniper Road

            Upton, MA   01568-1481

            Tel.  (508) 529-0362

            Fax: (508) 529-0384

            I checked my Iacueo tree and I don't have any Capotosto connections in there, but has anyone recommended the LDS microfilms to you? These are microfilms of birth, death, marriage and other records that are kept by the Mormon church and are available to the general public. All you need to do is visit a Mormon church in your area that participates in its Family Search program and for a nominal cost you can rent these microfilms, for viewing on their premises on their microfilm machines. At least that's the way it was 4 years ago when I did most of my research.

            The microfilms of Itri are extremely rich with information, and if you want to trace your roots back from the present to the Catasto era they are probably indispensable. There are 26 microfilm rolls covering Itri (at least as of 4 years ago), and it's a tedious process, but the rewards are priceless. I can tell you for a fact that you will find many Capotostos in there, as I remember seeing the name often during my research.

            I also have a copy of the Catasto, and I am also interested in having it translated, I just haven't had the time to do it to-date. If you find someone that can do it, please let me know if you are interested in sharing the cost of the translation.

            Otherwise, good luck with your research.

            Rick

            --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "paul.capotosto" <paul.capotosto@...> wrote:

            > Dear Itrani Descendents,
            > I hope you are all well and that this group is still active in research
            and discussion on our common village of origin. As you can see I am a new member, quite late to the party it seems, but not too late I trust?
            > My name is Paul Capotosto, I reside in
            w:st="on">New York and have been told my family came from Itri. As a member of ancestry.com I have uncovered more than I ever expected on the history and lineage of the Capotosto name. It gave me many answers but also created many questions, and I sincerely anticipate that some of the members of this group can be of assistance.
            > I began sporadic research about 5 years ago through the Ellis
            Island website, and as time permitted I found more sites and uncovered quite a bit of material. I have to say it can seem overwhelming but I truly enjoy the discovery aspect.

            > So here is my question, do any of you have a connection to Raffaele
            Capotosto b.1845'ish married to Maria Antonia Di Fabrici (Fabrizio, Fabritius) in Itri, Sep 1866?

            > I have read that you may have the 1754 Catasta for Itri, sorry I did not
            learn of this group sooner or I would have joined you in the purchase, I just purchased a copy that I must translate; I did however locate about 10 Capotosto families there at the time. I can't seem to link them up to my family tree as of yet. But I believe the answer is out there and one day I will hopefully find it.

            > I would like to thank all of you in advance for any help you may offer and
            if I can help you please don't hesitate to ask.
            > Ciao,
            > Paul

          • Paul Capotosto
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 22, 2011
              Domenic,

              I recently became aware of the many Italian families in RI, look forward to learning more about them and why so many Itrani decided to live there.

              I will speak more with cousin Greg, as I have seen Pezza in our tree going back a few generations.

              Fitting his Dad was born on St Josephs Day and named Joseph, Happy B-day to him

              Regards,
              Paul

            • Paul Capotosto
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 22, 2011

                Rick,

                Thanks for the info on the LDS microfilms, I did hear about them and there is one near me in NY, I have to make a point to get there when time permits and from what you have mentioned I am sure it will be quite productive. I have a lot of info already, just have those gaps that can be frustrating.

                I will let you know if I get it fully translated, however I found another although unorthodox method, I actually word searched my family name in the Catasta and did a word translation on the abbreviated document. It was rough and some of it makes no sense but some of it does and it helped me to learn a little more. It was fairly simple there were only 12 listings of Capotosto on the original document. Then cut and paste and hit translate.

                Regards,

                Paul

              • Paul Capotosto
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 22, 2011
                  Hey Linda,

                  I really appreciate the info and where to locate it, the WWII link was quite interesting and very sad at the same time, all that history not only of our families but of all Itrani. Could not imagine the grief they suffered. I do hope to visit there one day and yes I will be visiting RI soon as my daughter will be looking at the nearby college for their pharmacy program, and hopefully during the feast.

                  I look forward to the discoveries ahead, thanks again

                  Regards,
                  Paul

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 30, 2011

                    Paul,

                    I believe my great-great grandmother was Domenica Capotosto.  Greg Pezza has an extensive family tree and I just received this going back to middle 1800’s.

                    It would be great to have you and your family at the feast in Cranston this coming July.

                    I am not exactly sure what or who the catalyst was to send a lot of Itrani families to Cranston , but the church was built in the early 1900’s.  There is another church next door called St. Ann ’s and also the cemetery is St. Ann ’s.  The Italians did want their own place of worship and the church was built.  My grandmother came to Cranston during the war with 2 children, but my grandfather Paolo Pezza stayed and fought for Italy in WWI.  He came to Cranston after the war and joined my grandmother and they had my two uncles, Mike and Joe, whom are still living and my mother was the baby who passed away in 2009.

                    It is fascinating.  They came for a better life.  Some went to France, some to New York , some to Canada .  Even you talk to some of the people that lived in Itri during WWII.  I had cousins from Canada who came to see us two years ago.  They left Itri after WWII and never went back.  They said they wanted to forget about that life and the horrors they saw during WWII.  Bombings so close.  A family of 5 people fleeing to shelters/caves in the mountains and living on one loaf of bread and small amounts of water for long periods of time until it was safe to try to go back to what was left of their homes.

                    And then there are people that settled here after WWII and they and their families go back and forth all the time, enjoying a beautiful area, seeing family and friends.

                    I hope to get there someday to take that walk.

                    Domenic

                    Domenic Livoli

                    Livoli Estimating Service

                    24 Juniper Road

                    Upton, MA   01568-1481

                    Tel.  (508) 529-0362

                    Fax: (508) 529-0384

                  • Itri1@optonline.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 30, 2011
                      Are you related to Francesco Capotosto that passed away in Itri on May, 2009?

                      Kathy

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 31, 2011

                        Kathy,

                        I am not exactly sure, but I would imagine down the line there would be some relation.

                        Domenic Livoli

                        Livoli Estimating Service

                        24 Juniper Road

                        Upton, MA   01568-1481

                        Tel.  (508) 529-0362

                        Fax: (508) 529-0384

                        Are you related to Francesco Capotosto that passed away in Itri on May, 2009?

                        Kathy

                        > I believe my great-great grandmother was Domenica Capotosto.
                        > Greg Pezza has
                        > an extensive family tree and I just received this going back to middle
                        > 1800's.
                        >

                        > It would be great to have you and your family at the feast in
                        > Cranston this
                        > coming July.
                        >

                        > I am not exactly sure what or who the catalyst was to send a lot
                        > of Itrani
                        > families to Cranston , but the church was built in the early
                        > 1900's. There
                        > is another church next door called St. Ann 's and also the
                        > cemetery is St.
                        > Ann's. The Italians did want their own place of worship and the
                        > church was
                        > built. My grandmother came to Cranston during the war with 2
                        > children, but
                        > my grandfather Paolo Pezza stayed and fought for Italy in WWI.
                        > He came to
                        > Cranston after the war and joined my grandmother and they had my
                        > two uncles,
                        > Mike and Joe, whom are still living and my mother was the baby
                        > who passed
                        > away in 2009.
                        >

                        > It is fascinating. They came for a better life. Some went to
                        > France , some
                        > to New York , some to Canada . Even you talk to some of the
                        > people that lived
                        > in Itri during WWII. I had cousins from Canada who came to see
                        > us two years
                        > ago. They left Itri after WWII and never went back. They said
                        > they wanted
                        > to forget about that life and the horrors they saw during WWII.
                        > Bombings so
                        > close. A family of 5 people fleeing to shelters/caves in the
                        > mountains and
                        > living on one loaf of bread and small amounts of water for long
                        > periods of
                        > time until it was safe to try to go back to what was left of
                        > their homes.
                        >

                        > And then there are people that settled here after WWII and they
                        > and their
                        > families go back and forth all the time, enjoying a beautiful
                        > area, seeing
                        > family and friends.
                        >

                        > I hope to get there someday to take that walk.
                        >

                        > Domenic
                        >

                        > Domenic Livoli
                        >
                        > Livoli Estimating Service
                        >
                        > 24 Juniper Road
                        >
                        > Upton , MA 01568-1481
                        >
                        > Tel. (508) 529-0362
                        >
                        > Fax: (508) 529-0384
                        >
                        > Email: dlivoli@...
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Paul
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 31, 2011
                          Hi Kathy,

                          I don't have an answer as of yet, I have many Capotosto branches of my tree all from Itri. My Gr Gr Grandfather Raffaele brought his two sons, Antonio and Pasquale (my Gr Grandfather) to NY 26th May 1885. As I discovered they had many cousins in Italy, some in Canada and other parts of the US. I still have much more to find, and I also hope someone already has and will share the info I seek.

                          If I can help you let me know, how far back can you trace the family?

                          Regards,
                          Paul

                        • Itri1@optonline.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 31, 2011
                            Paul,

                            I am not really following the Capotosto lineage. I belong to this group because I know the Agresti family that lives in Itri.  But, during the 4 times I have visited there (I live in NYC), I have come to know Francesco Capotosto - he was a very good customer at the Piazza cafe there.   I had found him to be a very sweet & caring person.  He was very patient with me while I had to look at 3 Italian Language books to talk to him.  He would leave early, before lunch, to go home to take care of his mother (who was over 90 yrs.).  I was deeply saddened when I found he had passed in 2009.  He was only 62 yrs.  I wish you luck in finding out more about your ancestors.

                            Sincerely,

                          • bonval
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 31, 2011
                              My in laws are also Itrani folks - my mother in law was home the day bombs fell - as she heard the planes, she ran next door to the church and stood in the arched doorway - the church and her home were totally bombed but the arch stood strong and saved her life! She told us stories of living back in the caves, hiding food - my father in law hid out after one bombing raid to go into the German camp where he brought back horse meat and other food for the families hiding! I have similar tales and many current photos of Itri on my blog: Amore e' Sapore di Famiglia