RE: [FraDiavolo] cell phone rental in Italy?

  • annette ciccone
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12 3:20 PM
      Hi Jason;

         Here's a bit of what happened last year:
                   Trying to get a phone here (Florida) to use in Italy was getting to be impossible - With all the phone carriers here, checking them all out, comparing prices and equipment - it was getting to much...so someone at Verizon told us "buy and International phone - they sell them at the airport,,,you can get one in Rome or New York, where ever,,, that's the best way to go.
                   So, we thought that sounded do-able.  We got to Fuimincino and didn't see any phones for sale, so we just purchased a "phone card" for E20.00.  Got to Itri and for three days we tried to call my kids in the U.S.  It never happened.  We know where every pay phone in Itri is located.
                   We drove to Calabria and tried calling several people in the states...it never happened.  We know where several pay phones are located in Calabria.
                   We got to Naples a week later where Frank's cousin seemed never to shy away from a challenge.  It was impossible to use the card.  It was only good when calling from a hard line phone.

          So, this year we decided to have a phone with us before we left the country.

           After doing some extensive research, we purchased a phone from MOBAL.  It is from England and is used while in Europe (or some 120 other countries)  The Phone was 49.99 with a free gift of international adapters for elec. outlets.  The phone can not be used in the U.S.  It is strictly for "overseas"  BUT you can call from Europe...anyone in the U.S. or anywhere in the Western hemisphere.
      The charges for calls were minimal - the service is great and the reception (sound and clarity) was excellent.  When we got home, we simply removed the battery and packed all the parts back in the box so that it will be ready to use for our next trip to Italy.
          I hope after this long-winded story, I've helped you a little and if there's anything else we can help with...let us know....(321-952-6888)

         Annette Ciccone

      To: FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com
      From: jsoscia3@...
      Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 11:22:49 -0700
      Subject: [FraDiavolo] cell phone rental in Italy?

      Hi everybody,

      What is the best way to use a cell phone in Italy?  Should I get one here with the SIM card or buy it there?  Also, where is a good place to buy and unlocked cell phone and SIM card?  I don't want to use my current cell phone (plan with AT&T) as it would be too expensive.

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 3 , May 13 5:20 AM
        You might double check because someone else told me the AT&T charges are only a few dollars a month to use overseas - I am not sure... but we are on AT&T also and used our phone a couple times - the roaming and toll charges were around $20. We had used a TIM card in our phones last trip but this time the card would not work - TIM said it was due to a need for an unlock network code - so rather than go crazy trying to figure that out, it was easier to buy a cheapo phone from them - for 100 Euro we bought a phone, an electric charger, a car charger, and somewhere around 65 Euro in airtime. We still have 15 Euro left on the phone even after using it for at least one call every other day to the US in addition to all the calls to family in Italy.