Re: [FraDiavolo] 100% Itrani -- Saccoccio Question for Marie

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 30, 2008
      I don't think I have Cellemme's in the family, not here anyway.  Antonio Saccoccio may be a relative but it is such a common name.  there are sooooo many Saccoccio's from Itri in Rhode Island. My grandfather only had one brother who never came to this country.  He had first cousins in RI with names like Anthony, Alexander.  He was related to the Ruggieri's on his mother's side.  Louis Saccoccio is a cousin, I know that.

      We really have very few Saccoccio's in Mass.

      Marie Elena Saccoccio

      From: marie saccoccio <saccocciom@yahoo. com>
      Subject: Re: [FraDiavolo] 100% Itrani
      To: FraDiavolo@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 6:21 PM

      Welcome Paula!!  I think we have some Mancini's here in Cambridge. Do you have relatives in Cambridge as well??

      Marie Elena Saccoccio

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2008
        Thanks Marie for your reply. No, I don't have any relatives in
        Cambridge. We're pretty much NY based. I remember growing up hearing
        the name Saccoccio, although I can't place any faces at this time. I'll
        have to ask my cousin if he remembers.

        I'm new to the ancestry search. My grandparents were born in Itri in
        the 1860's and 70's. Where does one start retrieving any information?
        Thank you anyone for some guidance.

        Paula
        --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, marie saccoccio <saccocciom@...>

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
          HI Marie,

          Well, I was waiting to hear from contact who is in the Cellemme branch about her  Saccoccia family that I'd inquired to you about.  After checking with the older generations here's what I was told:

          Mary D. ONei/O'Nei and Domenica Uneglia are the same woman....Maria Domenica Uneglia. I was beginning to suspect that as I delved into this family in more depth.   The ONei and Oneilli that I saw in a record are a mutation and now the official version of Domenica's surname that occurred, as so many of these things do, upon processing for entry into the US.

          There never was an Evelyn in this particular family group according to one of the family elders but having now had the chance to check the censuses, there was an Evelyn included in the household of Luigi & Domenica in 1920 whose age corresponded to that of Beatrice.  We are still checking on this but I think that Evelyn is either Beatrice's middle name or another one of those annoying but numerous enumerator screw-ups.

          As you've said, there are a lot of Saccoccia"s around and I'm sure more than one Luigi, Domenica and Maria/Mary.  This family group would have been in Knightsville,Cranston ...little surprise there.... and most of the descendants that I've found via the Projo on line also seemed to have remained in the general Cranston area so there doesn't seem to be a MA component to this particular family grouping.

          Well, no link, recent at least - perhaps a few generations back while still in Itri; most of our families there seem to be connected to one degree or another - but at least this information is now in the archives here so if someone now in the group or a new person joins and has Saccoccia"s, they may find a match.

          Off to play on the roads now....I hope they have done a better job today than last week when I got stuck in Greenville because some fool with his rear wheel drive SUV gunned it trying to get up the hill & got himself sideways across Rt. 44 in front of Windsor School blocking both eastbound lanes in the slick as grease 5" of salty slush that had accumulated on RI's wonderfully "maintained" roads.

          Linda

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
            funny how the names get changed.  I have one relative whose name was Natira and when she went to school they changed it to Anita.  Another's name was Inez or Annunciata and when she went to school it was changed to Eunice.

            Marie Elena Saccoccio

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
              The name mutations are one thing, I think, that are the hardest concept for novice researchers to embrace and to deal with.  Some of them take quite an active imagination to come up with and some just defy explanation.  It takes a bit to learn that just because a particular spelling is the standard accepted form today, it always wasn't so and that there not only were those changes that you site which to me appear to be more for the convenience of those who made the changes but a whole list of other factors that cause name changes in daily use or as mistakes in records.

              Some of my "best" are the 1900 census where I searched forever for Hubby's great-grandfather  Benjamin Poliquin (our current Peloquin itself is a 1920's mutation of the Poliquin surname) and finally found him because I was looking for Cavicchi.....I'd found a letter to Hubby's grandmother during a cleanout of the old family home signed "Your Brother-in-law Ercole"...who the heck is that???... that was on his company's letterhead.  Turned out, Ercole, wife Elmina nee Poliquin (Ben's dau) & kids were living with g-grandpa Ben 1900.  I hadn't be able to find Benjamin Poliquin in the past no matter what I'd thought of & tried because he was enumerated as Perkins.  I've since learned the trick of searching on Ancestry by using only the given name and limiting the results by filling in other details. I might have found Ben sooner & without the Cavicchi letter had I known that technique back then.

              And the second best was looking for my gg-randmother DeBow in NY.  Not only did she not stay on Staten Island where she'd last been but her name was mutated in Ancestry's indexes.   Her mutation was a function of a faded census image.  She was indexed as Lebas.  I've since entered corrections to both Perkins/Poliquin and Lebas/DeBow at Ancestry.

              Most of my name changes, fortunately, have been logical...Giovanni to John, Giuseppe to Joseph, Rosalina to Rose, etc or relatively minor like Poliquin to Peloquin or Fornaro (my maiden) to Fornara for my Dad's cousins.

              Linda

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
                My paternal grandmother and her sisters were entered on a ship to this country as Sodi.  The ship's manifest was somehow interpreted and later entered as Lodi.  It took me years to figure that out.  I never suspected the first letter to have been different.   I have also seen their name as DeSodi.  Really irritating and I have never been able to actually trace them back very far.  Lord knows what their names were.  I have met a cousin whose name is Sodi in Terracina.  So, it is a real name.

                Marie Elena Saccoccio

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 7, 2009
                  Some of the manifests were pretty bad but my Grandparents' wasn't too bad once I found the manifest through the Steve Morse 1 Step site and the Ellis Island Missing Manifest search function there.

                  On the manifest my grandparents were, however separated by about 13 - 16 lines.. first my grandfather as Giusepe Fenaro then down 13 lines to my grandmother as Rachele Fornaro, skip a line, & finally my Aunt Angelina entered as Angelo sex "m" (Maybe she was a really ugly 2 yr old??*grin*) & Aunt Carolina both as Fornaro.  So, all in all not bad...it could have been much worse.

                  Considering that my Grandfather boarded in Naples and my Grandmother and Aunts in Marseilles, France, I would have expected to find them much farther apart in the manifest;  maybe on different pages.

                  You might remember back in Jun 07 the discussion here about the Itri - Marseilles connection.  Rick / rickj1000001 had mentioned a post I had put up inquiring as to why my Grandfather should have been back in Itri when My grandmother and infant Aunts were in Marseilles.  I think a part of the answer at that time was that the large migration of Southern Italians after the unification of Italy caused the government to institute a quota system on departures cause some families to sustain temporary separations and layovers in Marseilles why those who got out waited for the rest of the family to be able to get out on the next open period.  I don't remember who came up with the answer, I want to say Jason Soscia.

                  "Really irritating and I have never been able to actually trace them back very far." ---- That's so frustrating !!!

                  Linda

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 6, 2009
                    To All,

                    Domanic Livoli's mother Elena (Helen) Livoli (Pezza) passed away this morning. She was also my Aunt and I will miss her dearly. I hope all will join me in giving Dominic along with his Sister Janice and Brother Paul and family our deepest sympathies.

                    Gregory C. Pezza

                  • Itri1@optonline.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 6, 2009
                      I am so sorry for your loss.  Elena will be included in my prayers.

                      Be well.

                      Kathy & Joe Agresti

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 6, 2009
                        So sorry to hear this. Please pass along my condolences.

                        Marie Elena Saccoccio

                        I am so sorry for your loss.  Elena will be included in my prayers.

                        Be well.

                        Kathy & Joe Agresti

                        > Domanic Livoli's mother Elena (Helen) Livoli (Pezza) passed away
                        > this morning. She was also my Aunt and I will miss her dearly. I
                        > hope all will join me in?giving Dominic along with his Sister
                        > Janice and Brother Paul and family our deepest sympathies.
                        >
                        > Gregory C. Pezza

                      • bstravato
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 18, 2009
                          --My name is Benito Stravato and my mother's maiden name was maria saccoccio. I emigrated from Itri in november of 1961.My grandfather's name was Alessandro Saccoccio and his wife 's name was Angela. I woould be appreciative if someone could tell me of any relatives or relationship to their families, given the fact that I am familiar with all the last names of people listed in these e-mails. I send my deepest condolonces for the death of Marie Saccoccio.
                          Benito

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 18, 2009
                            Hey, Marie Saccoccio is alive and kicking!! I am here last time I checked.  LOL  Alessandro and Angela are both family names.  I think the mother of my grandfather, Guiseppi Saccoccio, was named Angela Saccoccio.  Not sure how this factors in and there are other relatives with the name Alesandra and Alessandrina (female).  Also, my father had a cousin in Rhode Island named Alexander Saccoccio.  These are all Saccoccio's here.  I cannot recall my grandfather's brother's name but will find out.  That brother remained in Itri and never came to this country.   Also, there was a Benito or Benedetto Saccoccio here is Cambridge.  I think he was my grandfather's age and was a cousin.

                            I will try to get you more info.  I have it stored somehwere on my computer.

                            Marie Elena Saccoccio