Re: Any members from Itri or know people from Itri?

  • Stephanie
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 19, 2008
      Hi Linda,

      I just read your post. Actually, LDS has begun digitizing records-you
      can see what they've completed here:
      http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0. There
      isn't a whole lot from Italy yet, though anyone can volunteer to input
      data and speed the process along. They have a LOT of records to add.

      Cheers,
      Stephanie

      --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, Linda Peloquin <miyukichan0987@...>
      wrote:

      > Morning Jason,
      >
      > I do remember your mentioning that. I don't know if or when I'll
      ever have the time or opportunity to make a trip to Itri although I'd
      really like to go.

      > I wish there was some way of persuading those in charge to let the
      LDS or someone digitize or otherwise copy those records before they
      are further deteriorated or somehow lost for good.

      > Heck, if Itri digitized them themselves and put them on line with
      access by subscription, if the cost were reasonable, I know I'd want
      to subscribe.  Pre 1809 records too.

      > Linda

      might already know that the Itri Town Hall has the records after 1865
      so if you ever go there you can go down and search them.  A lot of
      those volumes are in bad shape too.      Jason

      Giuseppe Fornaro and Rachele Cannella arrived in RI from Itri in1893.

      > My Grandparents must have been about the only family from Itri that
      DIDN'T settle in the Knightsville section of Cranston, RI.  For
      reasons I'll never know, they chose the Italian section of Providence
      known as Federal Hill to live, work and raise their family as did my
      Grnadfather' s brother Bennedetto who came over several years later.

      > I often wonder who of the families that settled in Knightsville
      might be close relations to me.  With the gap in the records that the
      LDS was allowed to film, from 1865 forward, I've not been able to find
      siblings or other family of either of my grandparents beyond Uncle Benny.

      > Linda

      the star here.  Most of the surnames you have listed, he knows.
      Especially, de Luca (his maternal grandmother' s name) & Soprano.

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 19, 2008
        Evening Stephanie,

        I heard about the digitizing program about a year and a half ago at my local FHC and have signed up to do some of the data input.

        Records for Itri that the LDS was allowed to film only cover the years 1809 to 1865.  Unless the LDS has entered into a new agreement with Itri, the Italian gov't or whoever has the final say with the post 1865 records that Jason has seen, then all that will get digitized with be what is already on film.

        We can hope that the Italians might loosen-up and allow more records to be filmed or digitized in order to, at the very least, preserve them for future generations but so far I've not heard of it.  Maybe we need to form a FraDiavolo field trip to Itri  :)