Re: RE: [FraDiavolo] Any members from Itri or know people from Itri?

  • Itri1@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 18, 2008
      Hi Domenic,

      I know exactly the wedding you talk of.  We were invited also but were unable to attend.  Joseph Agresti is their cousin so you probably know Turelio & Maria.  Joe has been in Cranston years earlier.  Do you know Joe?

      Kathy

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 18, 2008

        Thank you, Marie Elena.

        Are you related to Ermena Saccoccio (who is married to Vincenzo)?

        Kathy
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 18, 2008
          Thank you, Linda.

          I feel like I've found the right group!  Joseph Agresti is really the star here.  Most of the surnames you have listed, he knows.  Especially, de Luca (his maternal grandmother's name) & Soprano.

          Were you born in Itri?

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 18, 2008
            Evening Kathy,

            No...I only wish.  I was born in Providence, RI.  My grandparents, Giuseppe Fornaro and Rachele Cannella arrived in RI from Itri in1893.

            My Grandparents must have been about the only family from Itri that DIDN'T settle in the Knightsville section of Cranston, RI.  For reasons I'll never know, they chose the Italian section of Providence known as Federal Hill to live, work and raise their family as did my Grnadfather's brother Bennedetto who came over several years later.

            I often wonder who of the families that settled in Knightsville might be close relations to me.  With the gap in the records that the LDS was allowed to film, from 1865 forward, I've not been able to find siblings or other family of either of my grandparents beyond Uncle Benny.

            Linda

            I feel like I've found the right group!  Joseph Agresti is really the star here.  Most of the surnames you have listed, he knows.  Especially, de Luca (his maternal grandmother' s name) & Soprano.

            Were you born in Itri?

            Kathy

            > As Jason said, I think we are nearly all from Itrani families here.
            >
            > My paternal line is 100% Italian and Itrani with the exception
            > of 2nd
            > great grandmother Maria Teresa ROSATO in my Grandma Rachele CANNELLA's
            > line.
            >
            > I've seen AGRESTI many times while combing through the microfilms
            > documenting my families.
            >
            > Other of my family names some of which you undoubtedly have or will
            > discover you have in your family lines -
            >
            > Paternal: Fornaro, de Luca, de Vona, Socia, Sinappi, Soprano,
            > Simonelli, Stravato, Fargiorgio, de Fazio, Capobianco,
            > Assanjante &
            > Manzi.
            > Maternal: Cannella, Cardi, Rosato (from Pastena), Giardino, Petrella,
            > Bravo (from Pastena), Capotosto, di Biase & another Capobianco.
            >
            > Linda
            >

            > --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogro ups.com, "kathythss" wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi FraDiavolo,
            > >
            > > I am new to your group & wanted to know if any members are
            > connected
            > > with Itri. If so, does the surname "Agresti" sound familiar?
            > >
            > > Please contact me - I would love to hear from you.
            > >
            > > Kathy

          • Jason Soscia
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 18, 2008
              Hi Linda I don't remember if I ever told you or you might already know that the Itri Town Hall has the records after 1865 so if you ever go there you can go down and search them.  A lot of those volumes are in bad shape too.      Jason

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 19, 2008

                Kathy,

                Joe Agresti is about 24 years old.  He was born in Cranston .  His grandmother, Irma (Ciccone) DelBove died about 8 years ago.  She was first cousins with my mother.  I grew up with Joe’s mother, Lina and her sisters Diane and Anna Maria.  They are older.  Their younger brother, Luigi, was closest to me.  He was 2 years older than me.  He died in 2007.  He was a large man, but with a heart and sweet personality of gold.  Turelio & Maria I am not familiar with.  They may be related to Frank, the father of Joseph, on the Agresti side.  You missed a very nice wedding!!!

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 19, 2008
                  Morning Jason,

                  I do remember your mentioning that. I don't know if or when I'll ever have the time or opportunity to make a trip to Itri although I'd really like to go.

                  I wish there was some way of persuading those in charge to let the LDS or someone digitize or otherwise copy those records before they are further deteriorated or somehow lost for good.

                  Heck, if Itri digitized them themselves and put them on line with access by subscription, if the cost were reasonable, I know I'd want to subscribe.  Pre 1809 records too.

                  Linda

                  Hi Linda I don't remember if I ever told you or you might already know that the Itri Town Hall has the records after 1865 so if you ever go there you can go down and search them.  A lot of those volumes are in bad shape too.      Jason

                  I feel like I've found the right group!  Joseph Agresti is really the star here.  Most of the surnames you have listed, he knows.  Especially, de Luca (his maternal grandmother' s name) & Soprano.

                  Were you born in Itri?

                  Kathy

                  > As Jason said, I think we are nearly all from Itrani families here.
                  >
                  > My paternal line is 100% Italian and Itrani with the exception
                  > of 2nd
                  > great grandmother Maria Teresa ROSATO in my Grandma Rachele CANNELLA's
                  > line.
                  >
                  > I've seen AGRESTI many times while combing through the microfilms
                  > documenting my families.
                  >
                  > Other of my family names some of which you undoubtedly have or will
                  > discover you have in your family lines -
                  >
                  > Paternal: Fornaro, de Luca, de Vona, Socia, Sinappi, Soprano,
                  > Simonelli, Stravato, Fargiorgio, de Fazio, Capobianco,
                  > Assanjante &
                  > Manzi.
                  > Maternal: Cannella, Cardi, Rosato (from Pastena), Giardino, Petrella,
                  > Bravo (from Pastena), Capotosto, di Biase & another Capobianco.
                  >
                  > Linda
                  >

                  > --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogro ups.com, "kathythss" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi FraDiavolo,
                  > >
                  > > I am new to your group & wanted to know if any members are
                  > connected
                  > > with Itri. If so, does the surname "Agresti" sound familiar?
                  > >
                  > > Please contact me - I would love to hear from you.
                  > >
                  > > Kathy

                • Stephanie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 19, 2008
                    Hi Linda,

                    I just read your post. Actually, LDS has begun digitizing records-you
                    can see what they've completed here:
                    http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0. There
                    isn't a whole lot from Italy yet, though anyone can volunteer to input
                    data and speed the process along. They have a LOT of records to add.

                    Cheers,
                    Stephanie

                    --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, Linda Peloquin <miyukichan0987@...>

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 19, 2008
                      Evening Stephanie,

                      I heard about the digitizing program about a year and a half ago at my local FHC and have signed up to do some of the data input.

                      Records for Itri that the LDS was allowed to film only cover the years 1809 to 1865.  Unless the LDS has entered into a new agreement with Itri, the Italian gov't or whoever has the final say with the post 1865 records that Jason has seen, then all that will get digitized with be what is already on film.

                      We can hope that the Italians might loosen-up and allow more records to be filmed or digitized in order to, at the very least, preserve them for future generations but so far I've not heard of it.  Maybe we need to form a FraDiavolo field trip to Itri  :)