Re: [FraDiavolo] Digest Number 177

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16 3:54 PM
      The assistant school superintendent in Scituate, RI was also a Capabianco by marriage now that public schooling is in the past for our daughters, I haven't kept up that much with who is in some of the positions so I don't know if she's still there or not.

      I've never seen CapAbianco....wonder if someone in the family was a politician...just kidding but as anyone who's been in RI for sometime will tell you appending an "A" to one's name was the mania for politicians in Johnston, RI for awhile because candidates are listed on the ballot alphabetically.

      It happened so long ago that I don't specifically remember when it was but I found these two articles on the event...it was quite amusing when it was going on and even now brings a chuckle; hope you get a laugh out of it too...big boys acting like little kids for heaven's sake, makes one wonder if they should be trusted running a town  -

      "ELECTION '85 Top spot on the ballot doesn't assure victory Results undermine the conventional political wisdom
      C. EUGENE EMERY Jr. Journal-Bulletin Staff Writer. Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: Nov 7, 1985. pg. C-22

      Does your position on the ballot help your chances of getting elected?

      According to conventional political wisdom, the answer is an emphatic "Yes."

      But preliminary Journal-Bulletin results show that - for the election Tuesday at least - the conventional wisdom is wrong. .....
      Mario Russillo, insurgent town administrator in the 1960s, solved that problem by changing his name to aRussillo - and later to aaRussillo - to ensure second-column listing. (Johnston's current mayor is Ralph aRusso, nee Russo.)
      But Elmer Cornwell, a political science professor at Brown University, said there is little hard evidence that column position makes a big difference.
      "When you have names ranked from top to bottom, there is a tendency for people to pick some on top and then get panicky at the bottom and mark some of those," he said. "But horizontally, this factor is not as prevalent. Why, I'm not sure.
      "My guess is that if people didn't recognize any names, they may have gone for ethnic factors or addresses," he said.
      Twenty-six winning or leading candidates were listed first on the ballot compared with 22 top vote-getters listed in the second column. ......"

      "Busting the myth about politicians in 'Rogue Island'
      Mark Patinkin. Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: Mar 31, 1991.  pg. B-01

      ....This led to the case of the Johnston mayoral candidate named Russo who found himself opposed by a guy named Russillo, whose name would come first on the alphabetical ballot, a key advantage. So Russo officially changed his name to aRusso. Russillo then changed his to aRussillo. This prompted aRusso to legally become aaRusso, followed by his opponent legally becoming aaRussillo. aaRusso is still mayor. Only he's now simply aRusso."

      As we say in these parts "Only in Rhode Island!"

      Linda

      Jennifer Manzi <mizzmanzi@...> wrote:
      That's interesting that you have a Capobianco in your tree Linda, my ex boyfriend's name was CapAbianco which is a very rare variation.

      Jen

      ---- FraDiavolo@yahoogro ups.com wrote: