RE: [FraDiavolo] DiIorio Family in Gaeta

  • Sandra Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008

      HI Linda,
      I too have signed up and paid for Ancestry.com.   I have a lot of info and have a public tree (look up DEOREO FAMILY tree).   Thanks for sending the ships manifest, I found that a few years ago as well as got a copy when I went to visit Ellis Island..(boy was  that a treat).

      Your information below is SO AWESOME... I cant wait to get time to do some more research.  I too am not too old.... (45 years old).  However, you'd think I should be since my dad was born in 1909 and was 54yrs old when I was born...  I feel such a close attachment to my italian side...dont know why, but I do.  My dad was my best friend, he died in 1995, before I had a real interest in doing this.... so not much family from his era to answer questions... but Im making progress...

      Im hoping to get some quiet time this weekend and I contacted the local family history center (LDS) and there is one right down the road from my office... I cant wait to get the films.   Im going Thursday night after work with them on ordering what I need (films).  I went to Barnes to get the book you recommended and Im taking my daughter to the library this weekend - she is 8... and my real reason for doing the research.

      Again, thanks thanks thanks.... I hope one day to get to italy to do research.  Ive been to vacation but that was long before I was into researching.  I go to Germany quite often as my husband imports German Shepherds and trains them (we breed too).... but one of these days I'll detour to Italy....

      Hope to meet you one day.

      God Bless you for all the time you've spent for me.

      Sandra

      To: FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com
      From: miyukichan0987@...
      Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:52:39 -0700
      Subject: RE: [FraDiavolo] DiIorio Family in Gaeta

      Sandra,

      Try your local library system to see if they have a copy or two in their catalog.  With genealogy becoming such a widespread interest, more and more libraries are creating or expanding their genealogy collections and getting staff trained to assist.  Even my little local library....our town has a very small population just under 11,000 so you know the library isn't all that big...has a genealogy section and collection with someone on staff with genealogy research training.

      If there is a fairly large Italian American influx/presence or had been in the past in the area of your local FHC, they too might have a copy of the book for you to use while there. My area saw a huge influx of Italians at the end of the 19th century/beginning of the 20th so my FHC has a copy of the book but I found myself wishing I had a copy for my own and received one for Christmas a few years back.

      I believe it was ordered from the Barnes & Noble or Borders Books at one of the nearby shopping malls.  You might also try on line either store and also at Amazon if purchasing new or used is in your plans.  Ancestry.com also has it and it's on sale right now - http://store. ancestry. com/ProductDetai l.aspx?p= mfsku2122( shops)&PT=BooksGenealogyEt hnicItalian( shops)

      Also, if your family settled in the NYC area or if you have any ancestors in the NYC area even if non-Italian, you will find the site for The Italian Genealogical Group - http://www.italiang en.org/ - very useful.

      Another useful site for searching both the above IGG site, Castle Garden (where people came in at NYC before Ellis Island) and more importantly, the Ellis Island site is One Step Webpages by Steve Morse - http://stevemorse. org/

      The most frustrating thing about researching Italian records is that there aren't more available to us here in the US via the LDS / FHL.  You're fairly lucky with the span of years covered for your family's ancestral home in that you have nearly 100 years of records available to you on microfilm.  For the town my grandparents came from, the LDS was only allowed to film from 1809 - 1865.

      I only knew when my grandparents married because someone went back and entered the information in the margin of my Grandfather' s birth act.  And I didn't learn my Grandmother' s birth date until last year with the help of a researcher in Italy...I researched the branch of his family that came here where I am and he went to the Archives over there and got my Grandmother' s birth certificate for me.  BTW...I'm not all that ancient BUT my Italian family was huge which resulted in my being born nearly 90 years after my Grandparents birthdays!!

      I also have access to the databases at Ancestry.com so post if you see something there that you can's access.  I've already spent the $$ so I don't mind.  No doubt others in the Group also have some level of Ancestry subscription as well and can help you with your post.
      Your local library might also have on line access as might your FHC to Ancestry.com so check with them, too.  I have found however, that the library version of Ancestry.com isn't as comprehensive as the private subscription I have.

      The one thing you need to know about Ancestry is that they have few Italian records if any...I've not encountered any anyway for my comune in Italy...so the things we would be able to try and find would be information for your family after they arrived in the US.

      As your research expands into other branches of your family, you will probably find that one of the levels of Ancestry subscription will be useful.  To start, you probably will want to try the 14 day free trial
      to access all their databases.  Doing that and searching my maternal and paternal families gave me a fairly good start and it wasn't until 2 years ago that I finally decided to blow the big bucks on an international subscription.  I'm researching ancestors in the US back to the 1600's as well as Italian, English, Irish, Dutch and French-Canadian ancestors so it has been worth the $$ for me especially since the Drouin records for the French Canadians became available last March.  No more trying to find time when the American French Genealogy Society is open to look for the ancestors up in Quebec.

      Hope you find those Di Iorio"s of yours.

      Linda

      PS - don't get too rigid about spelling with your names.  The vast majority of our ancestors had no schooling and were illiterate so the spelling that got entered into records was very much a function of how the person recording the information thought the name should be spelled.  Even with a spelling other than what is now accepted, as you get into your research you will learn to be able to tell if the person whose record you are looking at is your family or not.  I found for the most part with my Italian family that the spellings were relatively consistent.

      Sandra Smith <k9wife490@hotmail. com> wrote:
      Linda THANK YOU... Im at work at the moment so i will check on this tonight when i get home... not sure how to find the book you are speaking of as im new to this but i'll search around.... thanks a ton... You dont know what this means to me and my family.  This research is bringing our broken family back together.. thank you thank you.

      God Bless,
      Sandra

      To: FraDiavolo@yahoogro ups.com
      From: miyukichan0987@ yahoo.com
      Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:17:37 -0700

      You're in luck!!

      For your Grandfather' s comune, Coreno Ausonio,  in the Province of Frosinone the LDS was allowed to film records from 1809 to 1904 so you should be able to find not only your Grandfather' s birth act but quite possibly the marriage act of his parents and if he married while still in Italy, his marriage as well.  Also the death acts of his parents.  From the marriage and death you can learn your Great-Grandparents' parents' names.  You will also find it fairly easy to build family groups.

      Italian records will give you a wealth of information.  You should first look at the book "Italian Genealogical Records" by Trafford Cole, ISBN 0-916489-58- 2 Chapter 6 Napoleonic Records.  Once you see a few of the records, you will easily catch on to what they are "saying" and the information you are seeing despite it being in Italian.

      You will need to locate a Family History Center near you and go in to fill out the paperwork and fee ($5+/ea) for borrowing the microfilms from Salt Lake City.  Your FHC will notify you when the materials you requested arrive so that you can go in and research them.

      The site you want to go to for getting the film #s and locating a FHC is familysearch. org  library tab and sub tabs FHL catalog & Family History Centers.

      I looked up your films using the "Place" search mode  and simply entering  "Coreno Ausonio" which go me to the page hat gave me the films' title and # of reels of film; Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1904 - 19 reels of 35mm microfilm.  "View Film Notes" then told me what was on each reel of film.

      For your Grandfather' s birth in 1877 you will want to look at Nati 1865-1893 FHL INTL Film  1882501.  (http://www. familysearch. org/Eng/Library/ fhlcatalog/ supermainframese t.asp?display= titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C0% 2C0&titleno=15483&disp=Registri+ dello+stato+ civile++)

      When you get further into searching your family and back close to the cut off date of 1809 you might want to look at the films titled "
      Processetti" which are files of the records that a couple needed to turn-in for the marriage.  The second page of their Marriage Act will list the documents in the Processetti for the marriage.  It's through some of the acts for the couple's parents that you can sometimes move back a generation beyond the cut-off of the records in 1809.

      You can also use the search function on the first page to try and locate other dates and film #s for your family.  Searching your Grandfather' s name, for example, yielded an IGI for the marriage of FORTUNATO ANTONIO D'IORIO,
      27 DEC 1839   Coreno Ausonio, Frosinone, Italy to  MARIA TERESA RUGGIERO.  Since a 1839 marriage with the groom being aged 30y is probably too far back to be your Grandfather' s parents, the possibility exists that this is the marriage of your Grandfather' s DiOriopaternal grandparents.  This Fortunato's parents are given as  GIUSEPPE D'IORIO   & ANASTASIA VENTO and his bride's were  MATTEO RUGGIERO &  MARIA PARENTE.

      The results page also gives the FHL film that the record is found on -  Matrimoni 1809-1813, 1816-1861 FHL INTL Film   1173763 Items 1-18.  Once you find the marriage of your Grandfather' s parents, you will know if the Fortunato on this IGI is your Grandfather' s grandfather.

      Have fun.

      Linda

      sandras1012 <k9wife490@hotmail. com> wrote:
      Hello. Im looking for any information on the birth of my Grandfather.
      I have a paper from the italian army (need to get it translated) but
      it states his parents names and the place/date of his birth. Would you
      be able to help me find his birth certificate or any info on his
      parents?? Any help is greatly greatly appreciated.

      My Grandfather: Fortunato Di Iorio
      date of birth: 1 October 1877
      place of birth: Corcero Aussonio

      My Grandfathers Fathers Name: Antonio (was a Tailor by trade)
      My Grandfathers Mothers Name: Biasiotta Carolina

      Thanks in advance.