RE: [FraDiavolo] Re: Itri - Marseilles Connection?

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2007

      Hello,

      I asked my mother last night and she also did say that the Itrani people went to Marseilles to work the coal mines.  They also went to Germany and Australia.  It was all about work.  Anywhere they could, doing anything that would make money to survive.  There was no work in Itri at the time.  Maybe there was some connection to someone that knew they could find work there.  Some went back, some never did.  She said that someone said, “This is your family now.” meaning that you had to leave Itri behind and start a new life.

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2007
        So many great responses to this topic.

        All of your observations have been a great help to me personally
        (and hopefully to the group as a whole), and I want to say thanks. I
        feel that I know a lot more today than I did even a few days ago.

        More than anything though, Domenic's quote from his mother
        that "this is your family now" probably holds more poignency than
        anything else I've seen. These families were strong in a way that
        I'm still trying to comprehend.

        Rick

        --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "Domenic Livoli" <dlivoli@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        >

        > I asked my mother last night and she also did say that the Itrani
        people
        > went to Marseilles to work the coal mines. They also went to
        Germany and
        > Australia. It was all about work. Anywhere they could, doing
        anything that
        > would make money to survive. There was no work in Itri at the
        time. Maybe
        > there was some connection to someone that knew they could find
        work there.
        > Some went back, some never did. She said that someone said, "This
        is your
        > family now." meaning that you had to leave Itri behind and start a
        new life.

        > Domenic Livoli

        ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503> .