Re: [FraDiavolo] Re: Itri - Marseilles Connection?

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 30, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      I talked to my father today. Many Itrani's went to France for work. Marseilles the main area where they worked the ports. Also Mentz in Northern France was another area where Itrani's went. They went to work the coal mines.

      Greg Pezza

      See what's free at AOL.com.
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 30, 2007
        Now here is a very different account, but much earlier; however, I could only access this one page on the web:

        First page of requested article:

        gcpezza@... wrote:
        Hi everyone,

        I talked to my father today. Many Itrani's went to France for work. Marseilles the main area where they worked the ports. Also Mentz in Northern France was another area where Itrani's went. They went to work the coal mines.

        Greg Pezza

        See what's free at AOL.com.

        Marie Elena Saccoccio

        Building a website is a piece of cake.

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 30, 2007
          I have also read on rootsweb one member describing her ancestor from Itri (female) who started out from Itri and landed in Marseille and then that same ship went on to NYC.  this could be about money.  I know many Irish immigrants ended up in Canada originally and then came down to Boston.  It was about money for passage.  It could be that they had enough money for part of the trip but not the whole trip to USA at that moment.
          gcpezza@... wrote:
          Hi everyone,

          I talked to my father today. Many Itrani's went to France for work. Marseilles the main area where they worked the ports. Also Mentz in Northern France was another area where Itrani's went. They went to work the coal mines.

          Greg Pezza

          See what's free at AOL.com.

          Marie Elena Saccoccio

          It's here! Your new message!

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 1, 2007

            Hello,

            I asked my mother last night and she also did say that the Itrani people went to Marseilles to work the coal mines.  They also went to Germany and Australia.  It was all about work.  Anywhere they could, doing anything that would make money to survive.  There was no work in Itri at the time.  Maybe there was some connection to someone that knew they could find work there.  Some went back, some never did.  She said that someone said, “This is your family now.” meaning that you had to leave Itri behind and start a new life.

            I talked to my father today. Many Itrani's went to France for work. Marseilles the main area where they worked the ports. Also Mentz in Northern France was another area where Itrani's went. They went to work the coal mines.

            Greg Pezza

            See what's free at AOL.com.

          • rickj100001
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 1, 2007
              So many great responses to this topic.

              All of your observations have been a great help to me personally
              (and hopefully to the group as a whole), and I want to say thanks. I
              feel that I know a lot more today than I did even a few days ago.

              More than anything though, Domenic's quote from his mother
              that "this is your family now" probably holds more poignency than
              anything else I've seen. These families were strong in a way that
              I'm still trying to comprehend.

              Rick

              --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "Domenic Livoli" <dlivoli@...>
              wrote:

              > Hello,
              >

              > I asked my mother last night and she also did say that the Itrani
              people
              > went to Marseilles to work the coal mines. They also went to
              Germany and
              > Australia. It was all about work. Anywhere they could, doing
              anything that
              > would make money to survive. There was no work in Itri at the
              time. Maybe
              > there was some connection to someone that knew they could find
              work there.
              > Some went back, some never did. She said that someone said, "This
              is your
              > family now." meaning that you had to leave Itri behind and start a
              new life.

              > Domenic Livoli

              ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503> .