Re: Info for about 1865 to Early 1900s

  • rickj100001
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2007
      Thanks Jason.

      The Western Europe vital records CD for Itri does not contain
      birth/christening records at all, at least on the CD that I
      received. But I ordered the Itri birth records microfilm for 1855-
      1865 from my local LDSFHC, so my strategy will be to first link the
      births on those microfilm records to parents that I already have on
      my chart, and second to connect those children to my comtemporary
      knowledge of the family and possibly to death or other records
      available in the USA.

      That should go a considerable way to completing the Itri/USA
      connection, but I realize that it will take more microfilm research
      to establish a complete record, including those that did not
      immigrate to the USA.

      Again, any further guidance is completely welcomed and appreciated.

      Rick

      --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, Jason S <jsoscia3@...> wrote:

      > Rick,
      >
      > As far as I know, you'd have to write to the Town Hall in Itri
      for any information after 1865. I did that for a couple of
      documents. Then it became more difficult to get more. It takes a
      while for them to get back to you and they can't handle a lot of
      requests. When I went to visit Itri, the archivist at the town hall
      allowed me to look at the records and I was able to get more
      information.

      > Jason
      >
      > rickj100001 <rickj100001@...> wrote:
      > I have read that the record-keeping that resulted in
      many of the
      > documents that were produced between 1806 and 1865 were the result
      of
      > an order from Napolean. Apparently, this record-keeping was
      abandoned
      > in Northern Italy after Napolean's defeat in 1815, but for some
      reason
      > was continued in the South until 1865. I'm not sure why it was
      > abandoned in the South at that particular time.
      >
      > I seem to have a big black hole between about 1865 and the early
      > 1900s, but it seems that some of you have gotten good info for
      that
      > period, and I am wondering what the source(s) of that info is.
      Does