Re: [FraDiavolo] need advice/tips planning to visit rome and itri this summer

  • PAUL SHAPCOTT
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11, 2007
      Hi Teresa,

      I read your posting at Fra Diavolo.  We too are members of this group.

      We are an English family who now live in Itri , Italy .  We too are interested in researching Family History.  We are researching our Italian ancestors who came from Atina, Frosinone.

      I don't know if you'd be interested but -

      We have a farmhouse just outside of Itri.
      It has a pretty upstairs holiday apartment that can sleep 4.
      We would be delighted to have you to stay.

      You can find full details/prices of the holiday apartment and lots of other useful information about Itri and the surrounding area at our website:

      We speak English and Italian, and would be willing to help you during your stay in Itri.

      Did you know that the coast near to Itri is very beautiful?
      There are lots of lovely golden sandy beaches nearby.
      The towns of Gaeta and Sperlonga are really lovely.

      August in Italy is a busy period, as it seems that nearly all Italians take their holiday at the same time!  There would be lots going on in August, but you would find June to be much quieter.

      From Itri it is easy to get to Rome by train, much easier than trying to drive there.  The train journey takes just over an hour, on a fast train.  It is also easy to get to Naples , Pompeii and Herculaneum by train.

      If you travel within Lazio, eg. from Itri to Rome you can buy a Day Return Ticket called a “BIRG”, which costs just 10.50 euros and can be used on train / metro and buses.
      You can buy these tickets in any local Tabacchi (Tabacconist) shop and all you need to do is validate them at the station on your day of travel.
      We would be quite happy to ferry you to the station and pick you up.

      There is an Italian train website at www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
      This gives you all the train times and details to and from anywhere in Italy .
      Paul’s brother used it recently and found it very accurate and especially helpful as it gives you a train number, which makes it easier to find platform information etc at Rome Termini station.

      We can recommend a “ hop on and off” open bus Tour of Rome called “Ciao Roma” which has tape recorded commentary in English.  You can see many of the sites of Rome to give you a good feel of the city.  Then you can decide what to explore further.

      If you have any other questions please do feel free to get in touch with us at ph.shapcott@...

      Very best wishes

      Louise and Paul

      fuscobee <tcfusco@...> wrote:
      Hi All,

      I am trying to plan a trip for me and my two teens to Rome and a visit
      to Itri. I've never been there before so I'd appreciate some advise,
      tips, any info from all who have been there. We can either go the last
      week in June or the first week of August. If we could find nice
      accommodations at a good enough rate we could extend it to two weeks. I
      looked into some tours but they only spend about two days in Rome and
      they are quite pricey. Well, any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Take care,
      Teresa