Re: need advice/tips planning to visit rome and itri this summer

  • paul462815
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11, 2007
      Hi Teresa,

      I read your posting at Fra Diavolo. We too are members of this
      group.

      We are an English family who now live in Itri, Italy. We too are
      interested in researching Family History. We are researching our
      Italian ancestors who came from Atina, Frosinone.

      I don't know if you'd be interested but -

      We have a farmhouse just outside of Itri.
      It has a pretty upstairs holiday apartment that can sleep 4.
      We would be delighted to have you to stay.

      You can find full details/prices of the holiday apartment and lots
      of other useful information about Itri and the surrounding area at
      our website:

      http://trecancelle.shapcott-family.com

      We speak English and Italian, and would be willing to help you
      during your stay in Itri.

      Did you know that the coast near to Itri is very beautiful?
      There are lots of lovely golden sandy beaches nearby.
      The towns of Gaeta and Sperlonga are really lovely.

      August in Italy is a busy period, as it seems that nearly all
      Italians take their holiday at the same time! There would be lots
      going on in August, but you would find June to be much quieter.

      From Itri it is easy to get to Rome by train, much easier than
      trying to drive there. The train journey takes just over an hour,
      on a fast train. It is also easy to get to Naples, Pompeii and
      Herculaneum by train.

      If you travel within Lazio, eg. from Itri to Rome you can buy a Day
      Return Ticket called a "BIRG", which costs just 10.50 euros and can
      be used on train / metro and buses.
      You can buy these tickets in any local Tabacchi (Tabacconist) shop
      and all you need to do is validate them at the station on your day
      of travel.
      We would be quite happy to ferry you to the station and pick you up.

      There is an Italian train website at www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
      This gives you all the train times and details to and from anywhere
      in Italy.
      Paul's brother used it recently and found it very accurate and
      especially helpful as it gives you a train number, which makes it
      easier to find platform information etc at Rome Termini station.

      We can recommend a " hop on and off" open bus Tour of Rome
      called "Ciao Roma" which has tape recorded commentary in English.
      You can see many of the sites of Rome to give you a good feel of the
      city. Then you can decide what to explore further.

      If you have any other questions please do feel free to get in touch
      with us at ph.shapcott@...

      Very best wishes

      Louise and Paul

      --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Ruggieri"
      <stephenruggieri@...> wrote:

      > Hi Teresa !
      >

      > Ok, I can tell you that the most expensive time to go to Italy is
      in the
      > summer. Last year I paid $700 non stop to Rome. (BOOK EARLY) But I
      also
      > stayed for the month of August. It also depends on the exchange
      rate as
      > well. Itri is an up and coming area for both tourists and real
      estate. Let
      > me explain. Gaeta, where my girlfriend lives, is right on the
      water and
      > famous for their beaches. For this reason prices have sky
      rocketed for that
      > time of year for rentals as well as for buying. Itri is only 15
      minutes from
      > Gaeta and there is a lot of development going on now and the
      prices are
      > going up. It's basically the same relationship between NYC and
      Brookyln,
      > without the beach !
      >

      > So. With that said, Your best bet is to fly into Rome. Naples is
      closer but
      > typically more expensive and there aren't any direct flights. Once
      you're
      > there you can take a train for about 30 Euros to Itri or Formia.
      Check out
      > the schedules. FIND FAMILY ! You will not have to pay to stay
      other than
      > helping with groceries etc. or, find a B&B. My girlfriend's family
      has
      > property close to the beach in the middle of Gaeta, but I don't
      know if the
      > properties are rented already and not sure on the cost. I will
      only inquire
      > if you are absolutely certain you want to travel. They are no
      nonsense kind
      > of people. Also, there are options to rent in the castle in ITRI.
      I don't