RE: [FraDiavolo] need advice/tips planning to visit rome and itri this summer

  • Stephen Ruggieri
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2007

      Hi Teresa !

      Ok, I can tell you that the most expensive time to go to Italy is in the summer. Last year I paid $700 non stop to Rome. (BOOK EARLY) But I also stayed for the  month of August. It also depends on the exchange rate as well. Itri is an up and coming area for both tourists and real estate. Let me explain. Gaeta, where my girlfriend lives, is right on the water and famous for their beaches.  For this reason prices have sky rocketed for that time of year for rentals as well as for buying. Itri is only 15 minutes from Gaeta and there is a lot of development going on now and the prices are going up. It’s basically the same relationship between NYC and Brookyln, without the beach !

      So. With that said, Your best bet is to fly into Rome. Naples is closer but typically more expensive and there aren’t any direct flights. Once you’re there you can take a train for about 30 Euros to Itri or Formia. Check out the schedules. FIND FAMILY ! You will not have to pay to stay other than helping with groceries etc. or, find a B&B. My girlfriend’s family has property close to the beach  in the middle of Gaeta, but I don’t know if the properties are rented already and not sure on the cost. I will only inquire if you are absolutely certain you want to travel. They are no nonsense kind of people. Also, there are options to rent in the castle in ITRI. I don’t know what the prices are but I can do a little research for you if you have any specific requests.

      I’ll throw this out,

      1.     Special needs

      2.     Budget for Housing

      3.     Length of Time to stay in Itri.

      4.     Transportation while in Itri.

      5.     Anyone have a motorcycle License?

      6.     Be sure to get an international drivers license at AAA for $30 bucks if you plan on driving.

      I’ll do what I can to help.

      Peace, Light &* Happiness,

      Stephen Ruggieri

      Energy Healer

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 11, 2007
        Hi Teresa,

        I read your posting at Fra Diavolo. We too are members of this
        group.

        We are an English family who now live in Itri, Italy. We too are
        interested in researching Family History. We are researching our
        Italian ancestors who came from Atina, Frosinone.

        I don't know if you'd be interested but -

        We have a farmhouse just outside of Itri.
        It has a pretty upstairs holiday apartment that can sleep 4.
        We would be delighted to have you to stay.

        You can find full details/prices of the holiday apartment and lots
        of other useful information about Itri and the surrounding area at
        our website:

        http://trecancelle.shapcott-family.com

        We speak English and Italian, and would be willing to help you
        during your stay in Itri.

        Did you know that the coast near to Itri is very beautiful?
        There are lots of lovely golden sandy beaches nearby.
        The towns of Gaeta and Sperlonga are really lovely.

        August in Italy is a busy period, as it seems that nearly all
        Italians take their holiday at the same time! There would be lots
        going on in August, but you would find June to be much quieter.

        From Itri it is easy to get to Rome by train, much easier than
        trying to drive there. The train journey takes just over an hour,
        on a fast train. It is also easy to get to Naples, Pompeii and
        Herculaneum by train.

        If you travel within Lazio, eg. from Itri to Rome you can buy a Day
        Return Ticket called a "BIRG", which costs just 10.50 euros and can
        be used on train / metro and buses.
        You can buy these tickets in any local Tabacchi (Tabacconist) shop
        and all you need to do is validate them at the station on your day
        of travel.
        We would be quite happy to ferry you to the station and pick you up.

        There is an Italian train website at www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
        This gives you all the train times and details to and from anywhere
        in Italy.
        Paul's brother used it recently and found it very accurate and
        especially helpful as it gives you a train number, which makes it
        easier to find platform information etc at Rome Termini station.

        We can recommend a " hop on and off" open bus Tour of Rome
        called "Ciao Roma" which has tape recorded commentary in English.
        You can see many of the sites of Rome to give you a good feel of the
        city. Then you can decide what to explore further.

        If you have any other questions please do feel free to get in touch
        with us at ph.shapcott@...

        Very best wishes

        Louise and Paul

        --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Ruggieri"
        <stephenruggieri@...> wrote:

        > Hi Teresa !
        >

        > Ok, I can tell you that the most expensive time to go to Italy is
        in the
        > summer. Last year I paid $700 non stop to Rome. (BOOK EARLY) But I
        also
        > stayed for the month of August. It also depends on the exchange
        rate as
        > well. Itri is an up and coming area for both tourists and real
        estate. Let
        > me explain. Gaeta, where my girlfriend lives, is right on the
        water and
        > famous for their beaches. For this reason prices have sky
        rocketed for that
        > time of year for rentals as well as for buying. Itri is only 15
        minutes from
        > Gaeta and there is a lot of development going on now and the
        prices are
        > going up. It's basically the same relationship between NYC and
        Brookyln,
        > without the beach !
        >

        > So. With that said, Your best bet is to fly into Rome. Naples is
        closer but
        > typically more expensive and there aren't any direct flights. Once
        you're
        > there you can take a train for about 30 Euros to Itri or Formia.
        Check out
        > the schedules. FIND FAMILY ! You will not have to pay to stay
        other than
        > helping with groceries etc. or, find a B&B. My girlfriend's family
        has
        > property close to the beach in the middle of Gaeta, but I don't
        know if the
        > properties are rented already and not sure on the cost. I will
        only inquire
        > if you are absolutely certain you want to travel. They are no
        nonsense kind
        > of people. Also, there are options to rent in the castle in ITRI.
        I don't
        > know what the prices are but I can do a little research for you if
        you have
        > any specific requests.
        >

        > I'll throw this out,
        >

        > 1. Special needs
        >
        > 2. Budget for Housing
        >
        > 3. Length of Time to stay in Itri.
        >
        > 4. Transportation while in Itri.
        >
        > 5. Anyone have a motorcycle License?
        >
        > 6. Be sure to get an international drivers license at AAA for
        $30 bucks
        > if you plan on driving.
        >

        > I'll do what I can to help.
        >

        > Peace, Light &* Happiness,