Re: need advice/tips planning to visit rome and itri this summer

  • Susan Schuetz
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2007
      Hi Teresa,

      I don't know much about tours and the such, but I can tell you
      that traveling to Italy in the summer costs much more than in the
      fall. One airline to check out for good rates to Rome for the summer
      is Eurofly. I believe they are currently running rates starting at
      $599 to Rome (before taxes and fees of course). I am currently
      planning a trip in late August and they seem to come up with the best
      rates so far!

      Hope this helps! Buona Pasqua!

      Susan Schuetz
      MamiF@...
    • Stephen Ruggieri
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2007

        Hi Teresa !

        Ok, I can tell you that the most expensive time to go to Italy is in the summer. Last year I paid $700 non stop to Rome. (BOOK EARLY) But I also stayed for the  month of August. It also depends on the exchange rate as well. Itri is an up and coming area for both tourists and real estate. Let me explain. Gaeta, where my girlfriend lives, is right on the water and famous for their beaches.  For this reason prices have sky rocketed for that time of year for rentals as well as for buying. Itri is only 15 minutes from Gaeta and there is a lot of development going on now and the prices are going up. It’s basically the same relationship between NYC and Brookyln, without the beach !

        So. With that said, Your best bet is to fly into Rome. Naples is closer but typically more expensive and there aren’t any direct flights. Once you’re there you can take a train for about 30 Euros to Itri or Formia. Check out the schedules. FIND FAMILY ! You will not have to pay to stay other than helping with groceries etc. or, find a B&B. My girlfriend’s family has property close to the beach  in the middle of Gaeta, but I don’t know if the properties are rented already and not sure on the cost. I will only inquire if you are absolutely certain you want to travel. They are no nonsense kind of people. Also, there are options to rent in the castle in ITRI. I don’t know what the prices are but I can do a little research for you if you have any specific requests.

        I’ll throw this out,

        1.     Special needs

        2.     Budget for Housing

        3.     Length of Time to stay in Itri.

        4.     Transportation while in Itri.

        5.     Anyone have a motorcycle License?

        6.     Be sure to get an international drivers license at AAA for $30 bucks if you plan on driving.

        I’ll do what I can to help.

        Peace, Light &* Happiness,

        Stephen Ruggieri

        Energy Healer

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 11, 2007
          Hi Teresa,

          I read your posting at Fra Diavolo. We too are members of this
          group.

          We are an English family who now live in Itri, Italy. We too are
          interested in researching Family History. We are researching our
          Italian ancestors who came from Atina, Frosinone.

          I don't know if you'd be interested but -

          We have a farmhouse just outside of Itri.
          It has a pretty upstairs holiday apartment that can sleep 4.
          We would be delighted to have you to stay.

          You can find full details/prices of the holiday apartment and lots
          of other useful information about Itri and the surrounding area at
          our website:

          http://trecancelle.shapcott-family.com

          We speak English and Italian, and would be willing to help you
          during your stay in Itri.

          Did you know that the coast near to Itri is very beautiful?
          There are lots of lovely golden sandy beaches nearby.
          The towns of Gaeta and Sperlonga are really lovely.

          August in Italy is a busy period, as it seems that nearly all
          Italians take their holiday at the same time! There would be lots
          going on in August, but you would find June to be much quieter.

          From Itri it is easy to get to Rome by train, much easier than
          trying to drive there. The train journey takes just over an hour,
          on a fast train. It is also easy to get to Naples, Pompeii and
          Herculaneum by train.

          If you travel within Lazio, eg. from Itri to Rome you can buy a Day
          Return Ticket called a "BIRG", which costs just 10.50 euros and can
          be used on train / metro and buses.
          You can buy these tickets in any local Tabacchi (Tabacconist) shop
          and all you need to do is validate them at the station on your day
          of travel.
          We would be quite happy to ferry you to the station and pick you up.

          There is an Italian train website at www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
          This gives you all the train times and details to and from anywhere
          in Italy.
          Paul's brother used it recently and found it very accurate and
          especially helpful as it gives you a train number, which makes it
          easier to find platform information etc at Rome Termini station.

          We can recommend a " hop on and off" open bus Tour of Rome
          called "Ciao Roma" which has tape recorded commentary in English.
          You can see many of the sites of Rome to give you a good feel of the
          city. Then you can decide what to explore further.

          If you have any other questions please do feel free to get in touch
          with us at ph.shapcott@...

          Very best wishes

          Louise and Paul

          --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Ruggieri"
          <stephenruggieri@...> wrote:

          > Hi Teresa !
          >

          > Ok, I can tell you that the most expensive time to go to Italy is
          in the
          > summer. Last year I paid $700 non stop to Rome. (BOOK EARLY) But I
          also
          > stayed for the month of August. It also depends on the exchange
          rate as
          > well. Itri is an up and coming area for both tourists and real
          estate. Let
          > me explain. Gaeta, where my girlfriend lives, is right on the
          water and
          > famous for their beaches. For this reason prices have sky
          rocketed for that
          > time of year for rentals as well as for buying. Itri is only 15
          minutes from
          > Gaeta and there is a lot of development going on now and the
          prices are
          > going up. It's basically the same relationship between NYC and
          Brookyln,
          > without the beach !
          >

          > So. With that said, Your best bet is to fly into Rome. Naples is
          closer but
          > typically more expensive and there aren't any direct flights. Once
          you're
          > there you can take a train for about 30 Euros to Itri or Formia.
          Check out
          > the schedules. FIND FAMILY ! You will not have to pay to stay
          other than
          > helping with groceries etc. or, find a B&B. My girlfriend's family
          has
          > property close to the beach in the middle of Gaeta, but I don't
          know if the
          > properties are rented already and not sure on the cost. I will
          only inquire
          > if you are absolutely certain you want to travel. They are no
          nonsense kind
          > of people. Also, there are options to rent in the castle in ITRI.
          I don't
          > know what the prices are but I can do a little research for you if
          you have
          > any specific requests.
          >

          > I'll throw this out,
          >

          > 1. Special needs
          >
          > 2. Budget for Housing
          >
          > 3. Length of Time to stay in Itri.
          >
          > 4. Transportation while in Itri.
          >
          > 5. Anyone have a motorcycle License?
          >
          > 6. Be sure to get an international drivers license at AAA for
          $30 bucks
          > if you plan on driving.
          >

          > I'll do what I can to help.
          >

          > Peace, Light &* Happiness,