need advice/tips planning to visit rome and itri this summer

  • fuscobee
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2007
      Hi All,

      I am trying to plan a trip for me and my two teens to Rome and a visit
      to Itri. I've never been there before so I'd appreciate some advise,
      tips, any info from all who have been there. We can either go the last
      week in June or the first week of August. If we could find nice
      accommodations at a good enough rate we could extend it to two weeks. I
      looked into some tours but they only spend about two days in Rome and
      they are quite pricey. Well, any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Take care,
      Teresa
    • Susan Schuetz
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2007
        Hi Teresa,

        I don't know much about tours and the such, but I can tell you
        that traveling to Italy in the summer costs much more than in the
        fall. One airline to check out for good rates to Rome for the summer
        is Eurofly. I believe they are currently running rates starting at
        $599 to Rome (before taxes and fees of course). I am currently
        planning a trip in late August and they seem to come up with the best
        rates so far!

        Hope this helps! Buona Pasqua!

        Susan Schuetz
        MamiF@...
      • Stephen Ruggieri
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2007

          Hi Teresa !

          Ok, I can tell you that the most expensive time to go to Italy is in the summer. Last year I paid $700 non stop to Rome. (BOOK EARLY) But I also stayed for the  month of August. It also depends on the exchange rate as well. Itri is an up and coming area for both tourists and real estate. Let me explain. Gaeta, where my girlfriend lives, is right on the water and famous for their beaches.  For this reason prices have sky rocketed for that time of year for rentals as well as for buying. Itri is only 15 minutes from Gaeta and there is a lot of development going on now and the prices are going up. It’s basically the same relationship between NYC and Brookyln, without the beach !

          So. With that said, Your best bet is to fly into Rome. Naples is closer but typically more expensive and there aren’t any direct flights. Once you’re there you can take a train for about 30 Euros to Itri or Formia. Check out the schedules. FIND FAMILY ! You will not have to pay to stay other than helping with groceries etc. or, find a B&B. My girlfriend’s family has property close to the beach  in the middle of Gaeta, but I don’t know if the properties are rented already and not sure on the cost. I will only inquire if you are absolutely certain you want to travel. They are no nonsense kind of people. Also, there are options to rent in the castle in ITRI. I don’t know what the prices are but I can do a little research for you if you have any specific requests.

          I’ll throw this out,

          1.     Special needs

          2.     Budget for Housing

          3.     Length of Time to stay in Itri.

          4.     Transportation while in Itri.

          5.     Anyone have a motorcycle License?

          6.     Be sure to get an international drivers license at AAA for $30 bucks if you plan on driving.

          I’ll do what I can to help.

          Peace, Light &* Happiness,

          Stephen Ruggieri

          Energy Healer

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 11, 2007
            Hi Teresa,

            I read your posting at Fra Diavolo. We too are members of this
            group.

            We are an English family who now live in Itri, Italy. We too are
            interested in researching Family History. We are researching our
            Italian ancestors who came from Atina, Frosinone.

            I don't know if you'd be interested but -

            We have a farmhouse just outside of Itri.
            It has a pretty upstairs holiday apartment that can sleep 4.
            We would be delighted to have you to stay.

            You can find full details/prices of the holiday apartment and lots
            of other useful information about Itri and the surrounding area at
            our website:

            http://trecancelle.shapcott-family.com

            We speak English and Italian, and would be willing to help you
            during your stay in Itri.

            Did you know that the coast near to Itri is very beautiful?
            There are lots of lovely golden sandy beaches nearby.
            The towns of Gaeta and Sperlonga are really lovely.

            August in Italy is a busy period, as it seems that nearly all
            Italians take their holiday at the same time! There would be lots
            going on in August, but you would find June to be much quieter.

            From Itri it is easy to get to Rome by train, much easier than
            trying to drive there. The train journey takes just over an hour,
            on a fast train. It is also easy to get to Naples, Pompeii and
            Herculaneum by train.

            If you travel within Lazio, eg. from Itri to Rome you can buy a Day
            Return Ticket called a "BIRG", which costs just 10.50 euros and can
            be used on train / metro and buses.
            You can buy these tickets in any local Tabacchi (Tabacconist) shop
            and all you need to do is validate them at the station on your day
            of travel.
            We would be quite happy to ferry you to the station and pick you up.

            There is an Italian train website at www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
            This gives you all the train times and details to and from anywhere
            in Italy.
            Paul's brother used it recently and found it very accurate and
            especially helpful as it gives you a train number, which makes it
            easier to find platform information etc at Rome Termini station.

            We can recommend a " hop on and off" open bus Tour of Rome
            called "Ciao Roma" which has tape recorded commentary in English.
            You can see many of the sites of Rome to give you a good feel of the
            city. Then you can decide what to explore further.

            If you have any other questions please do feel free to get in touch
            with us at ph.shapcott@...

            Very best wishes

            Louise and Paul

            --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Ruggieri"
            <stephenruggieri@...> wrote:

            > Hi Teresa !
            >

            > Ok, I can tell you that the most expensive time to go to Italy is
            in the
            > summer. Last year I paid $700 non stop to Rome. (BOOK EARLY) But I
            also
            > stayed for the month of August. It also depends on the exchange
            rate as
            > well. Itri is an up and coming area for both tourists and real
            estate. Let
            > me explain. Gaeta, where my girlfriend lives, is right on the
            water and
            > famous for their beaches. For this reason prices have sky
            rocketed for that
            > time of year for rentals as well as for buying. Itri is only 15
            minutes from
            > Gaeta and there is a lot of development going on now and the
            prices are
            > going up. It's basically the same relationship between NYC and
            Brookyln,
            > without the beach !
            >

            > So. With that said, Your best bet is to fly into Rome. Naples is
            closer but
            > typically more expensive and there aren't any direct flights. Once
            you're
            > there you can take a train for about 30 Euros to Itri or Formia.
            Check out
            > the schedules. FIND FAMILY ! You will not have to pay to stay
            other than
            > helping with groceries etc. or, find a B&B. My girlfriend's family
            has
            > property close to the beach in the middle of Gaeta, but I don't
            know if the
            > properties are rented already and not sure on the cost. I will
            only inquire
            > if you are absolutely certain you want to travel. They are no
            nonsense kind
            > of people. Also, there are options to rent in the castle in ITRI.
            I don't
            > know what the prices are but I can do a little research for you if
            you have
            > any specific requests.
            >

            > I'll throw this out,
            >

            > 1. Special needs
            >
            > 2. Budget for Housing
            >
            > 3. Length of Time to stay in Itri.
            >
            > 4. Transportation while in Itri.
            >
            > 5. Anyone have a motorcycle License?
            >
            > 6. Be sure to get an international drivers license at AAA for
            $30 bucks
            > if you plan on driving.
            >

            > I'll do what I can to help.
            >

            > Peace, Light &* Happiness,