Re: [FraDiavolo] Hi Marie

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2004
      Interesting! My grandfather from Itri used to call my brother Fra Diavolo, but in a good way!! Wow! A dinner and dance for descendants from Itrani; that sounds like quite a take in; I bet I would meet some relatives.

      Joseph Fidaleo <zicep@...> wrote:Hello Maria,
      I'll try to tell you what I remember about fra diavolo. This comes from the
      information I got off the Internet. I have the seven pages somewhere but
      right now I can't locate them. Here goes: fra diavolo was born in Itri in
      1771. He was very sick at birth and his mother promised God she would dress
      him as a monk if he survived. He survived and she dressed him as a monk.
      That's where the FRA comes from. He was a very wild boy and a priest--I
      think his name was Mancini--called him a devil and that's where DIAVOLO
      comes from. He fought against the French who were always invading Italy. He
      fought well. He became a favorite of the King and Queen who at one point
      gave him a pension. He wasn't an easy man to capture but the French finally
      caugth him and after a trial he was hanged. But he was also a tyrant. He
      killed a mayor of a town because (if I'm remembering correctly--he forgot
      to bring the wine for a feast.
      When find my seven pages I'll tell you more.
      I have some information on Ciccones but it goes back to before 1860. There
      is a Ciccone in Queens, New York. I have never met her but I think Pete
      Sinapi who has a restaurant in Danbury and was born in Itri knows her. In
      the past an annual dinner was held in the Bronx, NY by people from Itri. I
      have never attended but I did received an invitation. On the invitation was
      her name: Ciccone. She was one of the organizers. I don't know if the dinner
      and dance are still held.
      Take Care
      Joe