Western Europe Vital Records Index

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2007
      I just received a purchase of this from LDS - it encompasses years late
      1500's to 1905 -- the records for Italy are by no means compelte - only
      one disc is from Italy - other countries are Alpine, Beneluz, French,
      German and Spanish Regions - the miulti disc set cost $27 including
      postage - it came lots faster than the suggested 4-6 weeks (took one
      week) -- all that said -- this is remarkable! Even with so much missing
      from the Italian records, I found plenty from our area! And it was
      fabulous!!! I was able to document positively folks I was not sure
      belonged to us via cross referencing names of couples, their parents,
      and wedding dates versus birth dates! Anyway I now have 511 folks I
      know for positive are related - just those on the Italian connection -
      back to 1774! Add these to the newly ordered set we are all planning on
      and I should be able to cement a few more generations!
      I have been working on organization and cross referencing to keep
      everyone sorted. So far color coding helps to divide out main line from
      inlaws - but then I found that writing out the 6 generation pedigree
      charts with family group sheets for every couple filled in completely
      with all information known helps to find some connections.
      Interestingly I have found many of the originals we had saved from our
      late parent's collections of originals had names spelled wrong or names
      dropped off -- and even a couple first names totally wrong (fortunately
      none were surnames - just given or that is first names)! And in our
      family they adhered to the rule of naming son for grandfather so every
      other generation shares the same first name for about 5 generations!
      Sigh!
      Bonnie
    • Jason S
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2007
        What sort of records on that CD were from Itri?

        "B. J. Di Crocco" <BonVal@...> wrote:
[...]

        Never miss an email again!
        Yahoo! Toolbar

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2007
          It lists by surname search - birth records and marriage records.
          Then it shows by city and region - most of these are the civil
          records. So they for example on a wedding certificate show name of
          groom, then spouse - their ages in years at time of marriage - then
          they show where it was registered - Itri or CastdG (castile di Gaeta)-
          then they show groom's parents - including mother's maiden name -
          and the same for the bride! So you gain four more people behind those
          two -- and if you subtract the ages from the year of marriage, you
          figure the approximate birth year - then you can continue to search
          for birth records around then - using the generational naming pattern
          allows you to second guess a grandparent's name - although I was
          wrong once or twice it did bring me to other family memebers like
          uncles and aunts! Those of course help you back to family with their
          records!And because this is a digital data system it is all neatly
          typed in and easier to read than microfilm! I can honestly say I have
          made more progress in one week than I have in two years! It is
          suddenly falling into place so nicely! 'Course it could just be I
          finally am on a learning curve but it has been so exciting! One of
          the highlights - on microfilm I found a birth certificate for someone
          named Crocco (mother) - so I photocopied it and saved it - not sure
          why. But a few moonths later I found another DiCrocco and I ahve
          learned to save all references to our last name so I had this one.
          Well this week studying these two records - translating them to
          English - I found they are the same couple - but in the one record
          they dropped the di! Even the people signing as witnesses were the
          same - and parents of both mother and father - identical! Side note
          to this - three years apart they had daughters - named both with same
          first name but differing middle names - suspect I should search for a
          death certificate for the first Maria.... sigh.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2007
            Bonnie,

            The first Maria might not have died.

            Maria as a first name might be an honorary-religious based naming custom.   I haven't found that much with my Itrani family... a lot of Maria Civita's though...but I am finding that is the case with my husband's French-Canadian Catholics.

            The girls got Marie in front of their actual given names at baptism and the boys got Joseph, unless of course the child's actual given name was Marie or Joseph, then it wasn't necessary to tack on the "holy" name in front of the actual given name.

            So, in addition to considering that the first Maria may have died, because the two girls had different middle names consider the possibility that Maria was tacked on to the girls names in a custom similar to what the Fre-Can Catholics did and the middle names might actually have been their intended given names rather than Maria.

            Happy Easter Everyone!!  Yea...Spring!!!!

            Linda

            always stay connected to friends.

          • Jason S
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2007
              Bonnie,

              Tell me where you got that $27.00 CD because I would like to order one.  t sounds pretty good.

              Jason

              Looking for earth-friendly autos?

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6, 2007
                In a message dated 4/6/2007 6:13:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time, BonVal@... writes:
                "B. J. Di Crocco" <BonVal@...> wrote:          I just received a
                purchase of this from LDS - it encompasses years late
                > 1500's to 1905 -- the records for Italy are by no means compelte -
                only
                > one disc is from Italy - other countries are Alpine, Beneluz,
                French,
                > German and Spanish Regions - the miulti disc set cost $27 including
                > postage
                Dear Bonnie...

                May I please have the purchase info on 'LDS' so that I can order the $27 multi-disc set that you wrote of in your recent email message to the group.

                Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

                Thank you,
                Renata

                See what's free at AOL.com.