Re: [FraDiavolo] Catasto Itri 1806

  • Judy Tuccinardi
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 8, 2007
      Hi Jason- I would be interested in helping defray costs for this. Wish I could translate Italian though. How's the response been so far? Judy

      On Mar 7, 2007, at 7:55 PM, JSoscia wrote:

      Ciao tutti

      If anyone is interested in the 1806 catasto for Itri, I got someone
      who will photocopy all the pages in the Napoli Archives for 200 to
      300 dollars. She doesn't do the translation, however. She is a
      professional Italian genealogist. And, it would be cheaper than the
      1000 euro (abt $1200) for the 1754 Itri catasto that we did.

      Once again the catasto is basically the census for Itri in the year
      1806.

      If anyone is interested in splitting the cost, let me know.

      By the way, the previous researcher (the one who did the 1754
      catasto) also said he might be able to do the 1806 catasto for 1000
      euro again (with the translation of course and sent as a text
      document). But for this one it's too expensive unless I get like a
      bunch of people to split the cost again.

      Jason

    • Joseph Fidaleo
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 8, 2007
        Hello
        You  can count me in. I prefer the Italian without the translation. But count me in either way.
        Joe Fidaleo

        To: FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 8, 2007
          Buono giorno,

          I've been meaning to get back to you but everyday responsibilities have kept me more occupied than I want to be the past week or so.

          I've recently gotten two people who have volunteered to take a look at the military document for Giovanni Soscia that I found in the processetti of Giuseppe de Vona & Maria Civita Soscia way back the end of last summer.  Both are native speakers of Italian so hopefully one of them will be able to see around the ink bleed through and squished writting enough to at least give us an idea what this says about Giovanni.  I had sent a scan of the document to Matt Papa but he never got back to me so presumably he had little success with the thing.

          I heard from Paul Shapcott in Itri.  You know, he and his wife had been contacting everyone who had an Itrani post on the message boards at Ancestry and they had also joined FraDiavolo.  Their offer of help in Itri is genuine with no strings attached.  I was pleasantly amazed.  It is the very first offer of help I have ever received from anyone living in Italy that didn't have a price tag attached!!  Maybe because they are just researchers like the rest of us and not professionals trying to stir up business like all the other offers I had received in the past.  Whatever the reason, I'm thrilled to find someone right in Itri who is willing to help those of us researching our families.

          Along those lines, to the business at hand.   $200 -$300 for photocopies of the 1806 seems fairly reasonable. Hopefully the pages in the original are good enough to make clear and legable copies.  It's certainly cheaper than the alternative of traveling to Italy ourselves to research the catasto.   I think most of us have picked up enough Italian that unless the catasto is a nightmare of horrid penmanship and bleed through like the Giovanni Soscia document, most of us should be able to pick out our family members.

          I'm in.  Let me know when the deal is set and the money needed.  I can't find your mailing address from the payment for the 1754 catasto so don't forget to send it to me.

          What of the book of 1700's records?  Can this person do the digital photos of that book for us?

          Must run...story of my life the past week.  Let me know on the 1700's records if this person can do it for us and how much they say it will cost.  I'd be interested in splitting the cost on that as well.

          Linda

          JSoscia <jsoscia3@...> wrote:
          Ciao tutti

          If anyone is interested in the 1806 catasto for Itri, I got someone
          who will photocopy all the pages in the Napoli Archives for 200 to
          300 dollars. She doesn't do the translation, however. She is a
          professional Italian genealogist. And, it would be cheaper than the
          1000 euro (abt $1200) for the 1754 Itri catasto that we did.

          Once again the catasto is basically the census for Itri in the year
          1806.

          If anyone is interested in splitting the cost, let me know.

          By the way, the previous researcher (the one who did the 1754
          catasto) also said he might be able to do the 1806 catasto for 1000
          euro again (with the translation of course and sent as a text
          document). But for this one it's too expensive unless I get like a
          bunch of people to split the cost again.

          Jason

          The fish are biting.

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 8, 2007
            I'm In.

            Greg Pezza

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 8, 2007
              The 1806 Catasto will be very important. Many Itrani's left Itri between 1799 and 1806 because of the war with the French under the command of Napoleon. It ended in 1806. This Catasto was probably done because of Murat who was the Ruler during this time after the defeat of the Bourbons.

            • louissaccoccio
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 9, 2007
                -
                I'm also interested. Let me know the amount of the contribution.

                Lou Saccoccio

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 10, 2007
                  I am also interested.
                  Marie Elena Saccoccio

                  louissaccoccio <louissaccoccio@...> wrote:
                  -
                  I'm also interested. Let me know the amount of the contribution.

                  Lou Saccoccio

                  -- In FraDiavolo@yahoogro ups.com, "JSoscia" <jsoscia3@.. .> wrote:

                  > Ciao tutti
                  >
                  > If anyone is interested in the 1806 catasto for Itri, I got someone
                  > who will photocopy all the pages in the Napoli Archives for 200 to
                  > 300 dollars. She doesn't do the translation, however. She is a
                  > professional Italian genealogist. And, it would be cheaper than
                  the
                  > 1000 euro (abt $1200) for the 1754 Itri catasto that we did.
                  >
                  > Once again the catasto is basically the census for Itri in the year
                  > 1806.
                  >
                  > If anyone is interested in splitting the cost, let me know.
                  >
                  > By the way, the previous researcher (the one who did the 1754
                  > catasto) also said he might be able to do the 1806 catasto for 1000
                  > euro again (with the translation of course and sent as a text
                  > document). But for this one it's too expensive unless I get like a
                  > bunch of people to split the cost again.
                  >
                  > Jason

                  Marie Elena Saccoccio

                  Bored stiff? Loosen up...

                • Vince
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 30, 2007
                    Jason
                    Definitely count me in. The earlier Catasto was
                    excellent and the 1809 one would provide a good link
                    back from the FHC microfilm that start about that
                    time.

                    Though photocopies are better than transcription. I
                    suspect that the earlier transcription had mistakes in
                    it and it frustrating to not be able to check the
                    original.

                    Combined the members of this group probably have the
                    best knowledge of genealogical records for Itri than
                    anyone else. I suggest that we make digital copies (I
                    could scan them) and ask people to transcribe a number
                    of pages - then get others to check the
                    transcriptions. That way we could produce an accurate
                    transcription for every-one - it does not make sense
                    for each of us to transcribe them independently.

                  • Joseph Fidaleo
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 2, 2007
                      Sounds great. count me in.
                      Joe

                      To: FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com
                      From: vince_sandrone@...
                      Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:32:02 +1000
                      Subject: [FraDiavolo] Re:Catasto Itri 1806

                      Jason
                      Definitely count me in. The earlier Catasto was
                      excellent and the 1809 one would provide a good link
                      back from the FHC microfilm that start about that
                      time.

                      Though photocopies are better than transcription. I
                      suspect that the earlier transcription had mistakes in
                      it and it frustrating to not be able to check the
                      original.

                      Combined the members of this group probably have the
                      best knowledge of genealogical records for Itri than
                      anyone else. I suggest that we make digital copies (I
                      could scan them) and ask people to transcribe a number
                      of pages - then get others to check the
                      transcriptions. That way we could produce an accurate
                      transcription for every-one - it does not make sense
                      for each of us to transcribe them independently.

                      Vince Sandrone

                      Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger .yahoo.com

                      Live Search Maps – find all the local information you need, right when you need it. Find it!
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 5, 2007
                        Bouno sera! How is everyone? Jason - any news on this project - when
                        do we need to send you a check - and we will need your address of
                        course! I neglected to mention, I do not mind the original Italian
                        also - I have been teaching myself Italian slowly (no formal classes
                        near here so study on mine own) and have done extremely well
                        considering! Ha! I do better reading than speaking - get embarassed
                        at my mostly spanish accent!
                        --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "JSoscia" <jsoscia3@...> wrote:

                        > Ciao tutti
                        >
                        > If anyone is interested in the 1806 catasto for Itri, I got someone
                        > who will photocopy all the pages in the Napoli Archives for 200 to
                        > 300 dollars. She doesn't do the translation, however. She is a
                        > professional Italian genealogist. And, it would be cheaper than
                        the
                        > 1000 euro (abt $1200) for the 1754 Itri catasto that we did.
                        >
                        > Once again the catasto is basically the census for Itri in the year
                        > 1806.
                        >
                        > If anyone is interested in splitting the cost, let me know.
                        >
                        > By the way, the previous researcher (the one who did the 1754
                        > catasto) also said he might be able to do the 1806 catasto for 1000
                        > euro again (with the translation of course and sent as a text
                        > document). But for this one it's too expensive unless I get like a
                        > bunch of people to split the cost again.
                        >
                        > Jason

                      • Jason S
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 6, 2007
                          Still waiting for the CD of the catasto to arrive.  Should be a few more days.  I'll send another email to let everyone know where to send the check.  Don't worry about that yet.  Congratulations you are learning Italian on your own, that is great!  Ciao, a presto...

                          "B. J. Di Crocco" <BonVal@...> wrote:
                          Bouno sera! How is everyone? Jason - any news on this project - when
                          do we need to send you a check - and we will need your address of
                          course! I neglected to mention, I do not mind the original Italian
                          also - I have been teaching myself Italian slowly (no formal classes
                          near here so study on mine own) and have done extremely well
                          considering! Ha! I do better reading than speaking - get embarassed
                          at my mostly spanish accent!
                          --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogro ups.com, "JSoscia" <jsoscia3@.. .> wrote:

                          > Ciao tutti
                          >
                          > If anyone is interested in the 1806 catasto for Itri, I got someone
                          > who will photocopy all the pages in the Napoli Archives for 200 to
                          > 300 dollars. She doesn't do the translation, however. She is a
                          > professional Italian genealogist. And, it would be cheaper than
                          the
                          > 1000 euro (abt $1200) for the 1754 Itri catasto that we did.
                          >
                          > Once again the catasto is basically the census for Itri in the year
                          > 1806.
                          >
                          > If anyone is interested in splitting the cost, let me know.
                          >
                          > By the way, the previous researcher (the one who did the 1754
                          > catasto) also said he might be able to do the 1806 catasto for 1000
                          > euro again (with the translation of course and sent as a text
                          > document). But for this one it's too expensive unless I get like a
                          > bunch of people to split the cost again.
                          >
                          > Jason

                          8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 6, 2007
                            Jason....

                            If it's not too late please include me in the group willing to share the cost of the 1806 catasto copied from the Napoli Archives.

                            I've hit a wall and so am hoping to find information on both my maternal and paternal grandparents, as well as respective relatives.

                            Your consideration will be greatly appreciated.

                            With thanks,
                            Renata

                              "B. J. Di Crocco" <BonVal@.... com> wrote:
                              Bouno sera! How is everyone? Jason - any news on this project - when
                              do we need to send you a check - and we will need your address of
                              course! I neglected to mention, I do not mind the original Italian
                              also - I have been teaching myself Italian slowly (no formal classes
                              near here so study on mine own) and have done extremely well
                              considering! Ha! I do better reading than speaking - get embarassed
                              at my mostly spanish accent!
                              --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogro ups.com, "JSoscia" <jsoscia3@.. .> wrote:

                              > Ciao tutti
                              >
                              > If anyone is interested in the 1806 catasto for Itri, I got someone
                              > who will photocopy all the pages in the Napoli Archives for 200 to
                              > 300 dollars. She doesn't do the translation, however. She is a
                              > professional Italian genealogist. And, it would be cheaper than
                              the
                              > 1000 euro (abt $1200) for the 1754 Itri catasto that we did.
                              >
                              > Once again the catasto is basically the census for Itri in the year
                              > 1806.
                              >
                              > If anyone is interested in splitting the cost, let me know.
                              >
                              > By the way, the previous researcher (the one who did the 1754
                              > catasto) also said he might be able to do the 1806 catasto for 1000
                              > euro again (with the translation of course and sent as a text
                              > document). But for this one it's too expensive unless I get like a
                              > bunch of people to split the cost again.
                              >
                              > Jason

                              8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

                              Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 6, 2007
                                Hello Jason,

                                I'm grateful and delighted to be allowed to share the cost of the catasto taken from the Napoli Archives.

                                Please let me know when you would like the check (both my address and telephone number are inscribed), and the address to send the check to.

                                Having never known my paternal grandparents, aunts  and cousins, yet having found just a small amount of names from my dad's papers, I'm hopeful that the catasto will provide additional info to continue my search, particularly since both grandmothers came from Formia (small town on the Bay of Naples) and I believe my dad was born in Naples (his father was a naval officer).   Though all are now gone my dream is to one day visit Italy, and meet my cousins.

                                In any event, having the document can't hurt and quite possible help, so I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

                                I'll look forward to hearing from you.

                                A BIG thanks!
                                Renata
                                Palm Springs, CA (originally from the New York area)

                                See what's free at AOL.com.
                              • Stephen Ruggieri
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 6, 2007

                                  Hey guys,

                                  I’m also willing to chip in  as well for the documents. I travel to Italy about twice a year and reconnected with all my cousins in Itri. This will be great !

                                  Peace, Light &* Happiness,

                                  Stephen Ruggieri

                                  Reiki Healer