Re: [FraDiavolo] Hi Marie

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2004
      Fra Diavolo was the Italian Robin Hood!!! I guess literally it means Brother of the Devil!! He stole from the rich and gave to the poor and was from Itri!!

      DestinyLad@... wrote:Hi Domenic.....

      Your 'tidbits' of information are very interesting.....but I still can't
      figure out what, or who 'Fra Diavolo' is. Can you help me out on that one? What
      I do know is that it's the name of one of my very favorite Italian dishes - a
      lobster/seafood sauce slightly on the spicy side!

      Also, for your Mom.......my grandmother, Elsie Ciccone Parisi had a sister,
      Jenny Ciccone who married Tony Petrone (also from Formia). Jenny and Tony
      Petrone lived in the New York area until sometime in the 70's when most of the
      Petrones moved to Florida.

      I'm not sure if my grandmother had a brother, but even if not, there may have
      been male cousins with the Ciccone name, living in the New York area.

      Regards,
      Laura
      P.S. I don't know where 'Marie' comes in (although my sister's name is Maria
      Louisa and I also have an Aunt Marie - however, Laura is my name.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Joe
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2004
        Hello Maria,

        If you go to Google and select the Italian language, then put in Michele Pezza or Fra Diavolo you should end up on a site that gives you a little history of Michele Pezza, about 7 pages. He wasn't a very nice man.
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Joseph Fidaleo
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2004
          Hello Maria,
          I'll try to tell you what I remember about fra diavolo. This comes from the
          information I got off the Internet. I have the seven pages somewhere but
          right now I can't locate them. Here goes: fra diavolo was born in Itri in
          1771. He was very sick at birth and his mother promised God she would dress
          him as a monk if he survived. He survived and she dressed him as a monk.
          That's where the FRA comes from. He was a very wild boy and a priest--I
          think his name was Mancini--called him a devil and that's where DIAVOLO
          comes from. He fought against the French who were always invading Italy. He
          fought well. He became a favorite of the King and Queen who at one point
          gave him a pension. He wasn't an easy man to capture but the French finally
          caugth him and after a trial he was hanged. But he was also a tyrant. He
          killed a mayor of a town because (if I'm remembering correctly--he forgot
          to bring the wine for a feast.
          When find my seven pages I'll tell you more.
          I have some information on Ciccones but it goes back to before 1860. There
          is a Ciccone in Queens, New York. I have never met her but I think Pete
          Sinapi who has a restaurant in Danbury and was born in Itri knows her. In
          the past an annual dinner was held in the Bronx, NY by people from Itri. I
          have never attended but I did received an invitation. On the invitation was
          her name: Ciccone. She was one of the organizers. I don't know if the dinner
          and dance are still held.
          Take Care
          Joe

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2004
            Interesting! My grandfather from Itri used to call my brother Fra Diavolo, but in a good way!! Wow! A dinner and dance for descendants from Itrani; that sounds like quite a take in; I bet I would meet some relatives.

            Joseph Fidaleo <zicep@...> wrote:Hello Maria,