While I'm at it -Two sites with WWII / 1944 photos of Itri & surrounding towns

  • miyukichan0987
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7 10:14 AM
      Hello Group,

      As a lot of us have discovered, Itri and the surrounding area had the
      misfortune of being between the Nazi and Allied lines in 1944
      resulting in extensive destruction of the town.

      I found these sites while searching for images of Itri. To access the
      second site you will have to use
      http://www.archive.org/

      And for whatever quirky reason, remove the "http://" that is already
      in the search box and paste in the entire addy with it's own
      "http://". I don't know why but I couldn't get to the pages just
      starting with pasting the "members" part of the addy.

      #1 ~ http://www.337thinfantry.net/Rome/AlbumIndex4.html

      #2 ~ http://members.nccw.net/djones/Rome/Index3.html
      From there there are arrows for navigating the the index of thumbnail
      photos.

      Also, if you are really into this period of history around Itri or
      just want to fill-in some background on Itri, contact me off board. I
      have some 1944 magazines, The Field Artillery Journal, I found while
      cleaning my parents' basement. They contain articles about the war in
      Italy around Itri. I will be happy to scan and send the pages to you.