Itri Baptism Records before 1800

  • jsoscia3
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 14, 2006
      Hello everyone,

      I remember looking through old baptism records in Itri when I went
      there in 2002. Don Mario Mancini allowed me to research them and they
      were in a building across from the church of San Michele Arcangelo.
      But, I didn't have enough time to copy much down as I had to leave the
      next day.

      I was thinking that these records would be great to have for our
      family research. I tried emailing a couple of people in Itri to
      digitally photograph each page of the oldest book, which starts around
      1763 and ends around 1790 give or take a few years. However, I never
      really got anywhere with it. The book doesn't have many pages in it,
      maybe 100 or so.

      So, my question to the FraDiavolo group is does anyone know anyone in
      Itri that could take digital photos of that book? Because, it would
      allow us to go back about 40 years earlier than the LDS records.

      Just wanted everyone to know that there is more material out there
      regarding old Itri records for our family trees.

      Ciao,

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 15, 2006
        Morning Jason,

        Yucky weather, eh?  Yesterday was good though in terms of research and keeping our oil bill down.  The evening volunteer, who's name escapes me at the moment, was in and doing some paid research so anyone who was there and wanted to, got to stay til 5PM!  You undoubtedly know him.  Apparently you two share some non-Itrani ancestors.  I learned from him  that I've been mispronouncing "Civita".  No suprise there since the only Italian I learned were the words that always got me in trouble if a grown-up caught me saying them.  I wonder what other words I've been mangling?

        A while back you said you thought that my Francosc'Antonio Fornaro had a brother Cristofero.  You were right.  I was able to confirm it yesterday with the 1820 marriage of Cristofero from the film the finally came in.  The earliest Itrani marriages on it seem to be 1817.  The bulk of the film, items 1-18 are Monticello, Caserta.  Only item 19 at the very end is Itri should you go and use it.  It's an indefinite so you will find it in the drawer with the other films - 1173753.

        The earlier non-Nepoleonic marriages also gave the parents' ages.  I didn't know that.  What a pleasent suprise and useful.  I wish they had continued including that info on the later records.

        I was able to find a de Vona brother as well as determine the probable birth years for 4 of my 3rd great-grandparents and push back a death year on another from the early marriages.  There are also a ton of death records on this film but I hadn't familiarized myself with them yet, so I'm leaving those for another day.

        How have you found the accuracy of ages to be on Italian records?   In having figured some of the 3g grandparents'  ages, there are a couple who should be children in the catasto but I,'m not finding them.  Naturally, I was looking last night after supper when I was tired and I haven't had an opportunity to download the catasto to wordpad and try the trick you passed on, so just maybe my tired, bleary eyes missed them.  From marriages I found, both Crasmantonio di Luca & Magnifica Suprano were born abt. 1749 so should be on the catasto somewhere.  If they were from another comune nearby, well then I guess I'll not know since Itri 1754 is all we have.

        Thanks for the answer on the once question.  It appears that there was no minimum tax back then as some people have no once listed.

        I think you're right about the veneziano fornaro.  I was skimming just searching for the surnames.  I noticed that some of what appear to be surnames didn't get capatilized so I didn't worry about that initially.  Now on closer inspection, it does appear that there was only one Fornaro family in Itri 1754.

        If this post doesn't generate anything, here are some thoughts:
        I think I read, either on the menu in the caffe background or on the web site for Caffe Itri, that the owner, Greg Spremulli goes over to Itri periodically.  Anyway,  I wonder if he would have any contacts over there that he might pass on to us who would be willing to do the digital photography.

        There's also the St. Mary's Feast Society.  I've been by there a million times but I know very little about it other than the Feast in July which creates quite a traffic snarl.  Perhaps some of their membership have contacts over in Itri.

        Well, off for the moment to educate myself about death records so that I can get into those on the film and maybe make a few more connections farther back to folks on the catasto.

        Linda

        jsoscia3 <jsoscia3@...> wrote:
[...]

        Jason

        Yahoo! Photos
      • Joseph Fidaleo
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 16, 2006
          Hello,
          I wish I could help you--all of us, but my aunt in Itri is 86. She stopped
          writing to me two or three years ago and she was never a consistent writer.
          I have other relatives there but they never replied to my letters in the
          past. Do you thing Don Mancino would do it for some money ?

          take care,
          Joe

          >From: "jsoscia3" <jsoscia3@...>
          >To: FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [FraDiavolo] Itri Baptism Records before 1800
          >Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:44:28 -0000
          >
          >Hello everyone,
          >
          >I remember looking through old baptism records in Itri when I went
          >there in 2002. Don Mario Mancini allowed me to research them and they
          >were in a building across from the church of San Michele Arcangelo.
          >But, I didn't have enough time to copy much down as I had to leave the
          >next day.
          >
          >I was thinking that these records would be great to have for our
          >family research. I tried emailing a couple of people in Itri to
          >digitally photograph each page of the oldest book, which starts around
          >1763 and ends around 1790 give or take a few years. However, I never
          >really got anywhere with it. The book doesn't have many pages in it,
          >maybe 100 or so.
          >
          >So, my question to the FraDiavolo group is does anyone know anyone in
          >Itri that could take digital photos of that book? Because, it would
          >allow us to go back about 40 years earlier than the LDS records.
          >
          >Just wanted everyone to know that there is more material out there
          >regarding old Itri records for our family trees.
          >
          >Ciao,
          >
          >Jason

        • Judy Tuccinardi
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 16, 2006
            Re: [FraDiavolo] Itri Baptism Records before 1800 If it takes some funds to get these records transcribed, count me and a friend in! Judy

            On 1/16/06 10:08 AM, "Joseph Fidaleo" <zicep@...> wrote:

            Hello,
            I wish I could help you--all of us, but my aunt in Itri is 86. She stopped
            writing to me two or three years ago and she was never a consistent writer.
            I have other relatives there but they never replied to my letters in the
            past. Do you thing Don Mancino would do it for some money ?

            take care,
            Joe

            >From: "jsoscia3" <jsoscia3@...>
            >To: FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [FraDiavolo] Itri Baptism Records before 1800
            >Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:44:28 -0000
            >
            >Hello everyone,
            >
            >I remember looking through old baptism records in Itri when I went
            >there in 2002.  Don Mario Mancini allowed me to research them and they
            >were in a building across from the church of San Michele Arcangelo.
            >But, I didn't have enough time to copy much down as I had to leave the
            >next day.
            >
            >I was thinking that these records would be great to have for our
            >family research.  I tried emailing a couple of people in Itri to
            >digitally photograph each page of the oldest book, which starts around
            >1763 and ends around 1790 give or take a few years.  However, I never
            >really got anywhere with it.  The book doesn't have many pages in it,
            >maybe 100 or so.
            >
            >So, my question to the FraDiavolo group is does anyone know anyone in
            >Itri that could take digital photos of that book?  Because, it would
            >allow us to go back about 40 years earlier than the LDS records.
            >
            >Just wanted everyone to know that there is more material out there
            >regarding old Itri records for our family trees.
            >
            >Ciao,
            >
            >Jason

            La rocca <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=La+rocca&w1=La+rocca&w2=Caserta+italy&w3=Family+histories&w4=Itri&c=4&s=65&.sig=_T8aM3pb2v51HTb6zXZ88g>   Caserta italy <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Caserta+italy&w1=La+rocca&w2=Caserta+italy&w3=Family+histories&w4=Itri&c=4&s=65&.sig=fw0UqRPH1cjuvNKlM1xBoA>   Family histories <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Family+histories&w1=La+rocca&w2=Caserta+italy&w3=Family+histories&w4=Itri&c=4&s=65&.sig=IdsgYjeokju5TQ_ZHZT32w>

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            --
            Judy Young Tuccinardi
            Genealogy website:http://www.ourfamilynearandfar.net/genealogy

            “We must be willing to leave the life we had planned in order to embrace the life that is waiting for us. “  Joseph Campbell

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 16, 2006
              For all,

              I am looking into it with some relatives in Itri. Judy I noticed the name Tucci. My mother is a Tucci and I have an extensive list of Tucci's going back to 1333. Can you tell me which Tucci you or your husband is from?

              Greg Pezza
              Hope Valley, RI
            • Judy Tuccinardi

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 17, 2006
                  Hello,
                  I would swear that there are errors in the Catasto 1754. A Ruggiero is one
                  example. His wife's last name I 've never seen in any Itri record, yet some
                  of the other microfilm data matches his sons and givies his wife as Agresto.
                  There just no way to prove it. Overall the microfilm data and the Catasto
                  are in good agreement.

                  I'm in Florida until March 17. Home I have, in Italian, some notes from the
                  Interner that explains somewhat the taxes in Italy during the early
                  centuries; what I am I saying--it's taxes in Itri. I 'll try finding it
                  again on the Internet.

                  Take care
                  Joe

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 17, 2006
                    Hi All,

                    Yes, there probably are errors.  I have a couple of people b. 1749 that should be there but don't appear.  All in all, I'm glad Jason was able to find someone to do the catasto and that I was able to get a copy from him.  I hope he'll have the same sucess with the getting the pre-1800 baptisms.  I'm already putting aside some $$ for that one now.

                    I just received the LDS film 1173753 on early 1800's BMD for Itri, so hopefully I'll be able to make a few links between the families on the catasto and more "recent" ancestors.

                    I look forward to learning more about the taxes.

                    Linda

                    Yahoo! Photos
                  • vince_sandrone
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 25, 2006
                      Hi every-one,
                      I have a great uncle in Itri with whom my family is in infrequent
                      contact. He has helped me obtain things in the past but is elderly,
                      forgetful and unreliable - so there are no promises of success.

                      I will contact him and ask if he can obtain a copy of the records from
                      Don Mario Mancini. It will take some time as everything will need to
                      go via mail rather than electronically.

                      I will keep the list inform of the progress.

                      Vince Sandrone

                      --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "jsoscia3" <jsoscia3@y...> wrote:

                      > Hello everyone,
                      >
                      > I remember looking through old baptism records in Itri when I went
                      > there in 2002. Don Mario Mancini allowed me to research them and they
                      > were in a building across from the church of San Michele Arcangelo.
                      > But, I didn't have enough time to copy much down as I had to leave the
                      > next day.
                    • Judy Tuccinardi
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 25, 2006
                        Re: [FraDiavolo] Copying  Itri Baptism Records before 1800 Great! I look forward to any progress made. Judy

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 25, 2006
                          That sounds great!!  Can we offer him any compensation or perhaps he needs something??

                          Marie Elena Saccoccio

                          Judy Tuccinardi <judytucci@...> wrote:
                          Great! I look forward to any progress made. Judy

                          On 1/25/06 7:47 PM, "vince_sandrone" <vince_sandrone@...> wrote:

                          Hi every-one,
                          I have a great uncle in Itri with whom my family is in infrequent
                          contact. He has helped me obtain things in the past but is elderly,
                          forgetful and unreliable - so there are no promises of success.

                          I will contact him and ask if he can obtain a copy of the records from
                          Don Mario Mancini. It will take some time as everything will need to
                          go via mail rather than electronically.

                          I will keep the list inform of the progress.

                          Vince Sandrone

                          --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "jsoscia3" <jsoscia3@y...> wrote:

                          > Hello everyone,
                          >
                          > I remember looking through old baptism records in Itri when I went
                          > there in 2002.  Don Mario Mancini allowed me to research them and they
                          > were in a building across from the church of San Michele Arcangelo.
                          > But, I didn't have enough time to copy much down as I had to leave the
                          > next day.

                          La rocca <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=La+rocca&w1=La+rocca&w2=Caserta+italy&w3=Family+histories&w4=Itri&c=4&s=65&.sig=_T8aM3pb2v51HTb6zXZ88g>   Caserta italy <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Caserta+italy&w1=La+rocca&w2=Caserta+italy&w3=Family+histories&w4=Itri&c=4&s=65&.sig=fw0UqRPH1cjuvNKlM1xBoA>   Family histories <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Family+histories&w1=La+rocca&w2=Caserta+italy&w3=Family+histories&w4=Itri&c=4&s=65&.sig=IdsgYjeokju5TQ_ZHZT32w>

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          --
                          Judy Young Tuccinardi
                          Genealogy website:http://www.ourfamilynearandfar.net/genealogy
                          Email: judytucci@...
                          Researching:
                          England & Ireland: Nash, Wells, Williams, Leader, Hadon, Timmins, Gadsden, Sherwood, Borbridge, Brownrigg, Nickson, Brass, Hatton, Marsden.
                          US: Young, Hayes, Masters, Meyer, Philipps, Cary, Buck.
                          Germany: Meyer, Philipps, Weiss, Sander, Bertsch, Reiff.
                          Italy: Tuccinardi, Notturno, Sileo, Corpolongo.

                          “We must be willing to leave the life we had planned in order to embrace the life that is waiting for us. “  Joseph Campbell

                          Marie Elena Saccoccio

                          Do you Yahoo!?