Re: San Giovanni in Fiore

  • rebdrummond
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
      Hi Domenic,

      There's more coincidences to "our" little story here. My husband was
      born in Providence, lived on Fairlawn Street in Cranston and worked
      in East Providence for Nicholson File Company YEARS ago. Our
      daughters were born in Warwick. Small world, huh?

      I also was e-mailing with your ?cousin? Gregory Pezza trying to find
      answers to my genealogical questions but have not gotten anything
      firm in response. Frankly, I think any Belcastro-Fra Diavolo
      connection may not be there but I still need to explore the
      possibility to keep my lines going.

      Genealogy is one of my first loves. Through the computers at the
      Mormon Library I was able to take my husband's lines back to 6 A.D.
      Of course, I have no way of verifying most of the ancestry (don't
      have enough years left to live to do it!) but I will work on at least
      verifying it back to 1620. This is all through his mother who was
      from Maine.

      It's much harder to do my Italian side since I don't know the
      language and a lot of it is in Latin. I have the following names in
      my ancestry: BELCASTRO, FAZIO, RISTOPOLI, NICASTRO, TIANO, MAZZEI,
      MARONE, IULIANO. This is all I know about it. Except for FAZIO and
      RISTOPOLI, they were all from San Giovanni in Fiore. However,
      they're all from Calabria. I used to think (before genealogy) that
      we were just Italians, always Italians, but it is fascinating to find
      our what groups made up Calabrians--way back. I'm going to do the
      Calabrian DNA project once I get my act together.

      See, I told you I love genealogy.

      Rebecca Belcastro Drummond

      -- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "Domenic Livoli" <dlivoli@c...>
      wrote:

      > Rebecca,
      >
      > From what I remember, my aunt's family first went to Pennsylvania
      and her father, Peter Merandi, worked in the coal mines. Somehow,
      they later settled in East Providence, RI, which is where my aunt and
      uncle live.

      West
      > Virginia and Pennsylvania. Of course, we are now spread out all
      over
      > the United States.
      >
      > R. Drummond
      > -- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "Domenic Livoli" <dlivoli@c...>
      > wrote:
      > > Rebecca,
      > >
      > > Where are you from? There are some Belcastro's in Medford,
      MA.

      > > It's very funny. My mom's family is from Itri. Her brother,
      my
      > uncle Mike Pezza (birth name, Michele Pezza), married my aunt
      (maiden
      > name Merandi (father) and Quattrucci (mother)), who is Calabrese,
      and
      > her family was from San Giovanni in Fiore, Calabria. I know at
      least
      > one of her parents was from there. Judging by the way people met
      and
      > married 80 years ago, both of her parents were probably from
      there.
      > She was born here, though. She is in her late 70's and Mike
      Pezza is
      > in his early 80's. Quite a coincidence.
      > >
      > > Domenic Livoli

      Fiore
      > during which
      > > he ?married? a local woman. Since my BELCASTRO ancestors are
      > from that same
      > > town, and if, indeed, the above is all true, can anyone in
      this
      > group give me
      > > more information regarding this connection? Any
      information.
      > Thanks so much.
      > >
      > > Rebecca Belcastro Drummond

      italy
      > Italian
      > > Family histories Italian italy Family history web
      site

      Terms

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
        Hi Rebecca,

        Through all my research I still have not found any connection of Fra Diavolo
        to the BelCastros. He was only in Calabria briefly and during his campaign.

        To change the subject I have some interesting news. My Grandmother on my
        mother's side was a Branca originally from Lappano but grew up in San Giovanni in
        Fiore. My mother remembers growing up before the war and spending summers in
        San Giovanni in Fiore. And the family they spent it with were the BelCastros.
        If fact my mother and father honeymooned in San Giovanni in Fiore and stay at a
        Belcastro home. She is trying to put the names together. Since she was really
        small then she does not remember much. What she remembers in tons of boy
        Belcastros and very few if any girl Belcastros. Her brothers always had plenty of
        friends when they were summering. My mother and her sister mainly played with
        each other. Another name that is predominant is Scarpelli in San Giovanni.

        In reading my Great Great Grandfathers diary, which is difficult because of
        the Calbrian dialect he refers a lot to Nicastros. My mother was a Tucci whose
        father was from Marzi near Cosenza. He married Magarita Branca from San
        Giovanni.

        I have many pictures from the 30's and 40's from San Giovanni. My mother
        points out that this one is a Belcastro and that one is a Belcastro but cannot
        remember names. I am working on this end to connect the dots. Can you shed any
        light on the subject?

        Thanks Gregory Pezza (Tucci, Ciccone, Branca, Mustacchio, DelBove, Barberio,
        Meschino)