Re: San Giovanni in Fiore

  • rebdrummond
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
      After arriving from San Giovanni in Fiore, my family settled in West
      Virginia and Pennsylvania. Of course, we are now spread out all over
      the United States.

      R. Drummond
      -- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "Domenic Livoli" <dlivoli@c...>
      wrote:
      > Rebecca,
      >
      > Where are you from? There are some Belcastro's in Medford, MA.
      >
      > It's very funny. My mom's family is from Itri. Her brother, my
      uncle Mike Pezza (birth name, Michele Pezza), married my aunt (maiden
      name Merandi (father) and Quattrucci (mother)), who is Calabrese, and
      her family was from San Giovanni in Fiore, Calabria. I know at least
      one of her parents was from there. Judging by the way people met and
      married 80 years ago, both of her parents were probably from there.
      She was born here, though. She is in her late 70's and Mike Pezza is
      in his early 80's. Quite a coincidence.

      Anyway, another
      > member of the group from San Giovanni In Fiore, Cosenza,
      Calabria, wrote back and
      > said that is because I am ?descended? from Michele PEZZA a/k/a
      Fra Diavolo.
      > After reading his history, I am relieved that this is the
      nickname source.

      > Apparently, Michele PEZZA spent time in San Giovanni in Fiore
      during which
      > he ?married? a local woman. Since my BELCASTRO ancestors are
      from that same
      > town, and if, indeed, the above is all true, can anyone in this
      group give me
      > more information regarding this connection? Any information.
      Thanks so much.

      > Rebecca Belcastro Drummond

      Italian

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
        Rebecca,

        From what I remember, my aunt's family first went to Pennsylvania and her father, Peter Merandi, worked in the coal mines. Somehow, they later settled in East Providence, RI, which is where my aunt and uncle live.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
          Hi Domenic,

          There's more coincidences to "our" little story here. My husband was
          born in Providence, lived on Fairlawn Street in Cranston and worked
          in East Providence for Nicholson File Company YEARS ago. Our
          daughters were born in Warwick. Small world, huh?

          I also was e-mailing with your ?cousin? Gregory Pezza trying to find
          answers to my genealogical questions but have not gotten anything
          firm in response. Frankly, I think any Belcastro-Fra Diavolo
          connection may not be there but I still need to explore the
          possibility to keep my lines going.

          Genealogy is one of my first loves. Through the computers at the
          Mormon Library I was able to take my husband's lines back to 6 A.D.
          Of course, I have no way of verifying most of the ancestry (don't
          have enough years left to live to do it!) but I will work on at least
          verifying it back to 1620. This is all through his mother who was
          from Maine.

          It's much harder to do my Italian side since I don't know the
          language and a lot of it is in Latin. I have the following names in
          my ancestry: BELCASTRO, FAZIO, RISTOPOLI, NICASTRO, TIANO, MAZZEI,
          MARONE, IULIANO. This is all I know about it. Except for FAZIO and
          RISTOPOLI, they were all from San Giovanni in Fiore. However,
          they're all from Calabria. I used to think (before genealogy) that
          we were just Italians, always Italians, but it is fascinating to find
          our what groups made up Calabrians--way back. I'm going to do the
          Calabrian DNA project once I get my act together.

          See, I told you I love genealogy.

          wrote:

          > Rebecca,
          >
          > From what I remember, my aunt's family first went to Pennsylvania
          and her father, Peter Merandi, worked in the coal mines. Somehow,
          they later settled in East Providence, RI, which is where my aunt and
          uncle live.

          Terms

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
            Hi Rebecca,

            Through all my research I still have not found any connection of Fra Diavolo
            to the BelCastros. He was only in Calabria briefly and during his campaign.

            To change the subject I have some interesting news. My Grandmother on my
            mother's side was a Branca originally from Lappano but grew up in San Giovanni in
            Fiore. My mother remembers growing up before the war and spending summers in
            San Giovanni in Fiore. And the family they spent it with were the BelCastros.
            If fact my mother and father honeymooned in San Giovanni in Fiore and stay at a
            Belcastro home. She is trying to put the names together. Since she was really
            small then she does not remember much. What she remembers in tons of boy
            Belcastros and very few if any girl Belcastros. Her brothers always had plenty of
            friends when they were summering. My mother and her sister mainly played with
            each other. Another name that is predominant is Scarpelli in San Giovanni.

            In reading my Great Great Grandfathers diary, which is difficult because of
            the Calbrian dialect he refers a lot to Nicastros. My mother was a Tucci whose
            father was from Marzi near Cosenza. He married Magarita Branca from San
            Giovanni.

            I have many pictures from the 30's and 40's from San Giovanni. My mother
            points out that this one is a Belcastro and that one is a Belcastro but cannot
            remember names. I am working on this end to connect the dots. Can you shed any
            light on the subject?

            Thanks Gregory Pezza (Tucci, Ciccone, Branca, Mustacchio, DelBove, Barberio,
            Meschino)