San Giovanni in Fiore

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
      Rebecca,

      Where are you from? There are some Belcastro's in Medford, MA.

      It's very funny. My mom's family is from Itri. Her brother, my uncle Mike Pezza (birth name, Michele Pezza), married my aunt (maiden name Merandi (father) and Quattrucci (mother)), who is Calabrese, and her family was from San Giovanni in Fiore, Calabria. I know at least one of her parents was from there. Judging by the way people met and married 80 years ago, both of her parents were probably from there. She was born here, though. She is in her late 70's and Mike Pezza is in his early 80's. Quite a coincidence.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
        After arriving from San Giovanni in Fiore, my family settled in West
        Virginia and Pennsylvania. Of course, we are now spread out all over
        the United States.

        R. Drummond
        -- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "Domenic Livoli" <dlivoli@c...>
        wrote:
        > Rebecca,
        >
        > Where are you from? There are some Belcastro's in Medford, MA.
        >
        > It's very funny. My mom's family is from Itri. Her brother, my
        uncle Mike Pezza (birth name, Michele Pezza), married my aunt (maiden
        name Merandi (father) and Quattrucci (mother)), who is Calabrese, and
        her family was from San Giovanni in Fiore, Calabria. I know at least
        one of her parents was from there. Judging by the way people met and
        married 80 years ago, both of her parents were probably from there.
        She was born here, though. She is in her late 70's and Mike Pezza is
        in his early 80's. Quite a coincidence.

        Italian

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
          Rebecca,

          From what I remember, my aunt's family first went to Pennsylvania and her father, Peter Merandi, worked in the coal mines. Somehow, they later settled in East Providence, RI, which is where my aunt and uncle live.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
            Hi Domenic,

            There's more coincidences to "our" little story here. My husband was
            born in Providence, lived on Fairlawn Street in Cranston and worked
            in East Providence for Nicholson File Company YEARS ago. Our
            daughters were born in Warwick. Small world, huh?

            I also was e-mailing with your ?cousin? Gregory Pezza trying to find
            answers to my genealogical questions but have not gotten anything
            firm in response. Frankly, I think any Belcastro-Fra Diavolo
            connection may not be there but I still need to explore the
            possibility to keep my lines going.

            Genealogy is one of my first loves. Through the computers at the
            Mormon Library I was able to take my husband's lines back to 6 A.D.
            Of course, I have no way of verifying most of the ancestry (don't
            have enough years left to live to do it!) but I will work on at least
            verifying it back to 1620. This is all through his mother who was
            from Maine.

            It's much harder to do my Italian side since I don't know the
            language and a lot of it is in Latin. I have the following names in
            my ancestry: BELCASTRO, FAZIO, RISTOPOLI, NICASTRO, TIANO, MAZZEI,
            MARONE, IULIANO. This is all I know about it. Except for FAZIO and
            RISTOPOLI, they were all from San Giovanni in Fiore. However,
            they're all from Calabria. I used to think (before genealogy) that
            we were just Italians, always Italians, but it is fascinating to find
            our what groups made up Calabrians--way back. I'm going to do the
            Calabrian DNA project once I get my act together.

            See, I told you I love genealogy.

            wrote:

            > Rebecca,
            >
            > From what I remember, my aunt's family first went to Pennsylvania
            and her father, Peter Merandi, worked in the coal mines. Somehow,
            they later settled in East Providence, RI, which is where my aunt and
            uncle live.

            Terms
            > of Service.

            Italian

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
              Hi Rebecca,

              Through all my research I still have not found any connection of Fra Diavolo
              to the BelCastros. He was only in Calabria briefly and during his campaign.

              To change the subject I have some interesting news. My Grandmother on my
              mother's side was a Branca originally from Lappano but grew up in San Giovanni in
              Fiore. My mother remembers growing up before the war and spending summers in
              San Giovanni in Fiore. And the family they spent it with were the BelCastros.
              If fact my mother and father honeymooned in San Giovanni in Fiore and stay at a
              Belcastro home. She is trying to put the names together. Since she was really
              small then she does not remember much. What she remembers in tons of boy
              Belcastros and very few if any girl Belcastros. Her brothers always had plenty of
              friends when they were summering. My mother and her sister mainly played with
              each other. Another name that is predominant is Scarpelli in San Giovanni.

              In reading my Great Great Grandfathers diary, which is difficult because of
              the Calbrian dialect he refers a lot to Nicastros. My mother was a Tucci whose
              father was from Marzi near Cosenza. He married Magarita Branca from San
              Giovanni.

              I have many pictures from the 30's and 40's from San Giovanni. My mother
              points out that this one is a Belcastro and that one is a Belcastro but cannot
              remember names. I am working on this end to connect the dots. Can you shed any
              light on the subject?

              Thanks Gregory Pezza (Tucci, Ciccone, Branca, Mustacchio, DelBove, Barberio,
              Meschino)