592RE: [FraDiavolo] Itri Origin

  • Bill Capotosto
    Nov 27, 2012

      Paul,

      I’ve seen a few of your posts here and there over the years and wondered if there might be a connection somewhere.  But I don’t have enough to keep up with the members of the Yahoo group.

      My brother Tom and I have been scrounging for info for a few years now, to the point of having enough to apply for dual Italian citizenship.  This is what we think we know.  My grandfather was Paolo Capotosto and my grandmother was Maria (Marietta) Paparello.  He was born on March 3rd, 1876, son of Salvatore Capotosto and Alessandra Manzo.  She was born September 9th, 1887, daughter of Francesco Paolo Paparello and Maria Rosaria Capotosto (unrelated).  We have since been able to obtain a copy of her birth certificate, but not his.  We have less reliable information putting his birth year as 1873 and hers as 1886.

      We first had someone in Itri search for Paolo’s birth record and he found one, but not the right one.  We have a copy of that as well.  But we were fortunate enough to find letters sent in 1905 from the municipal government in Itri confirming their birth records so that they could get married that year.  They lived in NYC, Avenue B, I believe, eventually moving to Woodhaven, Queens.

      We also have mention here and there of two cousins, one of whom fought in WWI in the US Army and one who fought in the Italian Army.  I can find more on them if it’s of any interest to you.

      I believe we may still have the contact info for the person who did the research in Itri also.

      Bill Capotosto