522Re: [FraDiavolo] Itrani Origins

    Mar 19, 2011
      Hi Paul,

      This being San Giuseppe & having OD'ed on zeppola & sfogliatelle (actually for sfogliatelle I don't need a feast day for an excuse) all day, it's time for some mail.

      Finding this marriage you're looking for will really be a piece of luck in connecting with someone who shares this couple and has a marriage date for you because the FHL films for Itri only cover the period of 1809 - 1865 and the marriage you're looking for is one year too late.  Then too, to be optomistic, you could find that you have the year wrong and ithe marriage was earlier than 1866.

      It's so frustrating not to have all the surviving records on film.   Still, it could be worse.  After collaborating with a descendant of Ercole Cavicchi, the brother-in-law of my husband's paternal grandfather, and finally finding just where in Italy the Cavicchi"s came from, we are now totally dead in the water because absolutely NOTHING is filmed for Cento, Ferrara, Emilia-Romagna.  Zip, zilch, nada, zero - N.O.T.H.I.N.G!  So, yes, we're all frustrated that only 1809 - 1865 records got filmed for Itri but it could be so much worse like Cento.

      Irregardless, you will undoubtedly be looking at the pre 1865 records.  One thing I found useful when I look at marriages that occurred close to the 1809 filming cut-off is to get the films for the processetti and locate the couple's file.  The processetti were the files of documents that the couple had to present prior to marriage and can contain such treasures as BMD records for the bridal couples' parents or whoever it is giving the bride away if her parents are dead and military records for the groom.

      The BMD in the processetti can help you, in some instances, to bridge the gap between 1809 and the catasto of 1754.  The processetti for the earliest of your Capotosto marriages might help shed some light on which of those 10 Capotosto families in the catasto link to your family line.

      You might find the photos at this sight interesting.  Itri in WW II during the Campaign for Rome in 1944 was smack dab between the Allied & Nazi lines both of whom were lobbing artillery shells back and forth at one another.  I've read that about 75% of the town sustained severe damage.  It must have been heart wrenching & terrifying for the people here who to learn of the destruction back home and to be worrying about the safety of  family left behind.    http://wwiiarchives.net/servlet/photo/2298/40

      Be sure to check out our group's members Paul & Louise Shapcott's "Tre Cancelle" site, too.  I don't know if they still have the narrative up on the rehab of the old farm house they bought and now live in in Itri.  Hope they do.  It was entertaining and enlightening as to how laid back real Italians are.

      You should also plan a trip to RI for July.  The Knightsville section of the City of Cranston is Itri in RI and just like back in Itri, La Festa della Madonna della Civita is held every July on the weekend closest to the actual feast day of 21 July.  Gridlock in Knightsville...don't fight it, join the party!

      I only have one Capotosto in my line.  Catarina Capotosto b. abt. 1754 - haven't found her yet in the catasto - d. 7 May 1819; wife of Pompeo Cardi b. ? d. bef. 1809.  Catarina & Pompeo would be my 3rd great grandparents.

      Yeah, my father's family was big.  My grandfather Giuseppe Fornaro was b. 20 Sep 1865 and my grandmother Rachele Cannella was b. 27 Jan 1869.  Both were long gone before my parents ever met never mind married.

      Catarina is in Rachele's maternal line.

      Linda