      From: Linda Peloquin <miyukichan0987@...>
      Subject: Re: [FraDiavolo] 100% Itrani -- Saccoccio Question for Marie
      To: FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 12:37 PM

      The name mutations are one thing, I think, that are the hardest concept for novice researchers to embrace and to deal with.  Some of them take quite an active imagination to come up with and some just defy explanation.  It takes a bit to learn that just because a particular spelling is the standard accepted form today, it always wasn't so and that there not only were those changes that you site which to me appear to be more for the convenience of those who made the changes but a whole list of other factors that cause name changes in daily use or as mistakes in records.

      Some of my "best" are the 1900 census where I searched forever for Hubby's great-grandfather  Benjamin Poliquin (our current Peloquin itself is a 1920's mutation of the Poliquin surname) and finally found him because I was looking for Cavicchi.... .I'd found a letter to Hubby's grandmother during a cleanout of the old family home signed "Your Brother-in-law Ercole"...who the heck is that???... that was on his company's letterhead.  Turned out, Ercole, wife Elmina nee Poliquin (Ben's dau) & kids were living with g-grandpa Ben 1900.  I hadn't be able to find Benjamin Poliquin in the past no matter what I'd thought of & tried because he was enumerated as Perkins.  I've since learned the trick of searching on Ancestry by using only the given name and limiting the results by filling in other details. I might have found Ben sooner & without the Cavicchi letter had I known that technique back then.

      And the second best was looking for my gg-randmother DeBow in NY.  Not only did she not stay on Staten Island where she'd last been but her name was mutated in Ancestry's indexes.   Her mutation was a function of a faded census image.  She was indexed as Lebas.  I've since entered corrections to both Perkins/Poliquin and Lebas/DeBow at Ancestry.

      Most of my name changes, fortunately, have been logical...Giovanni to John, Giuseppe to Joseph, Rosalina to Rose, etc or relatively minor like Poliquin to Peloquin or Fornaro (my maiden) to Fornara for my Dad's cousins.

      Linda

      From: Linda Peloquin <miyukichan0987@ yahoo.com>
      To: FraDiavolo@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 9:57 AM

      HI Marie,

      Well, I was waiting to hear from contact who is in the Cellemme branch about her  Saccoccia family that I'd inquired to you about.  After checking with the older generations here's what I was told:

      Mary D. ONei/O'Nei and Domenica Uneglia are the same woman....Maria Domenica Uneglia. I was beginning to suspect that as I delved into this family in more depth.   The ONei and Oneilli that I saw in a record are a mutation and now the official version of Domenica's surname that occurred, as so many of these things do, upon processing for entry into the US.

      There never was an Evelyn in this particular family group according to one of the family elders but having now had the chance to check the censuses, there was an Evelyn included in the household of Luigi & Domenica in 1920 whose age corresponded to that of Beatrice.  We are still checking on this but I think that Evelyn is either Beatrice's middle name or another one of those annoying but numerous enumerator screw-ups.

      As you've said, there are a lot of Saccoccia"s around and I'm sure more than one Luigi, Domenica and Maria/Mary.  This family group would have been in Knightsville, Cranston ...little surprise there.... and most of the descendants that I've found via the Projo on line also seemed to have remained in the general Cranston area so there doesn't seem to be a MA component to this particular family grouping.

      Well, no link, recent at least - perhaps a few generations back while still in Itri; most of our families there seem to be connected to one degree or another - but at least this information is now in the archives here so if someone now in the group or a new person joins and has Saccoccia"s, they may find a match.

      Off to play on the roads now....I hope they have done a better job today than last week when I got stuck in Greenville because some fool with his rear wheel drive SUV gunned it trying to get up the hill & got himself sideways across Rt. 44 in front of Windsor School blocking both eastbound lanes in the slick as grease 5" of salty slush that had accumulated on RI's wonderfully "maintained" roads.

      Linda

      From: Linda Peloquin <miyukichan0987@ yahoo.com>
      To: FraDiavolo@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 11:07 AM

      Merry Christmas All from Blustery RI !

      Missed out on a White Christmas thanks to warm temps & rain Christmas Eve but awoke to a dusting of snow & strong winds today.  *BRRRRR*

      Marie, I've been working on my family tree some over the Christmas break and noticed that I have some modern day  SACCOCCIO's married into my CELLEMME branch.

      Do you have ....

      Luigi Saccoccia b. 20 Mar 1884 Itri & wife  Domenica Uneglia* b. abt. 1883
          Their children - all born Cranston:
           Philomeme "Fannie"  Riccitelli  b. abt.1914, living Cranston 2001
           Louise Cellemme b. abt. 1926 living Orange Park, FL 2001
           Frances Silva b. 25 Mar 1919 d. 23 Apr 2001Cranston (William J. Silva)
           Beatrice Saccoccia b. 18 Jul 1914 d. Apr 1980 RI
           Evelyn b. abt. 1914 d. ?
           Ralph b. 20 Apr 1916 d. 17 Sept 1985 North Providence
           Antonio b. 11 May 1908 d. Nov 1976 RI
           Benny b. abt. 1911 d. bef. Sept. 1995
           Pat b. ?  d. bef. Sept. 1995

      *A Cellemme tree at Ancestry says - Mary D. O'nie for Luigi's wife but daughter Frances Silva's obit says Domenica.  I haven't gotten into the censuses & other records yet to see what lady is paired with Luigi.  I've tried to contact the tree owner regarding Mary through the Ancestry system but so far no reply.  I sometimes wonder if the system works since I've contacted tree owners clearly stating that their tree tied into mine & I'd like to share information but never get replies.

      Luigi & Domenica's daughter Louise is who married into my CELLEMMEs.  She married Raymond Eugene Cellemme who was a son of my father's older sister Carolina aka Clara CELLEMME nee FORNARO & her husband Ottavio CELLEMME.

      Obviously, Raymond's mother was my aunt, he is/was a first cousin but it's a big family; Raymond was born in 1921 abt. 9 months after my mother was born and 30 years before me.  Needless to say, given the ages of some of my first cousins, I grew-up a somewhat confused child on account of having people the same ages or a bit older than my parents referring to them as "uncle" & "aunt".

      Do you have my CELLEMME's in a branch?

      Linda

      From: ptgreco <ptgreco@yahoo. com>
      Subject: [FraDiavolo] 100% Itrani
      To: FraDiavolo@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 2:26 AM

      Just came across your group by accident. Both my paternal and maternal
      ancestors are from Itri. Some family names are Ialongo, Mancini,
      Tatta and I believe Sinapi. My maternal grandparents settled in New
      York City in 1904, although we did have an Anthony Mancini living in
      Rhode Island, Providence or Cranston.

      I visited Itri 3 years ago and couldn't believe the growth in the past
      25 years, not to mention my first impressions from 50 years ago. I
      have lots of fond memories.

      I would love to do some family research.

      Paula

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic