322Re: [FraDiavolo] Re: Itri - Marseilles Connection?

    Jun 28, 2007
      1) Poverty and the myth that America's streets were paved with gold.  Perhaps the unification of Italy was also a precipitating factor though.  Hard to ignore that.

      2) Far fewer French were immigrating so I assume not much of a wait list.  Also, some of the immigrants actually worked on the ships so essentially got a free passage.  Perhaps that was easier to get from Marseille.

      3) Such a demand from Naples since that location was the closest for Southern Italians.  Genoa was also an important port of departure, as was Palermo.  But I have seen reported that Marseille was the 3rd busiest of the bunch for immigration.  Naples, the first.

      rickj100001 <rickj100001@...> wrote:
      Marie,

      I wonder if the reason fewer people were sailing from Marseilles
      than Naples isn't part of the answer.

      It just seems to me that such a protracted separation between
      husbands and wives and children must have been driven by something
      more profound than easy access to boats to America. Jason made the
      point that maybe it had to do with the availability of jobs.

      Maybe these really are the real explanations, but it still makes me
      wonder:

      1) Why was it so important to leave Italy at this particular point
      in time that families would separate and immigrate to a foreign
      country (France, eventually USA)?

      2) Why was it so much easier to get a boat to America from Havre
      than from Naples at the time? Why so much demand to leave from
      Naples?

      I don't know the answers. I do know that Italy only became a united
      republic in 1871. I know that the largest thrust of Italian
      immigration to the USA began about 1880.

      Based on this, I can only suspect that some kind of political
      upheaval was at the root of the Itri-Marseilles migration. Of
      course, this is all my own speculation.

      I will continue to research, and I'd love to hear other opinions
      about this.

      Rick

      --- In FraDiavolo@yahoogro ups.com, marie saccoccio <saccocciom@ ...>
      wrote:

      > I also saw this in my research. I assumed it had to do with it
      being easier to get a boat from Marseille to NY, than Naples to NY.
      Far fewer people were sailing from Marseille.

      > rickj100001 <rickj100001@ ...> wrote: I read in another
      thread where someone had questions as to why one of
      > his female ancestors left Itri for Marseilles, France, while the
      > female ancestor's husband remained behind in Itri. Apparently,
      this
      > occurred in at least a few Itri families.
      >
      > This same phenomemon occurred in the Iacueo family when my great
      > grandmother and her children left Itri for Marseilles in the late
      > 1800s/early 1900s. They eventually immigrated to the USA from
      > Marseilles to New York in 1908.
      >
      > Does anyone have any information regarding the reason all of these
      > families moved from Itri to Marseilles? It's a great mystery to me.
      >
      > Rick
      >

      > Marie Elena Saccoccio

      > Need Mail bonding?

      Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.