131Re: San Giovanni in Fiore

  • rebdrummond
    Oct 4, 2005
      After arriving from San Giovanni in Fiore, my family settled in West
      Virginia and Pennsylvania. Of course, we are now spread out all over
      the United States.

      R. Drummond
      -- In FraDiavolo@yahoogroups.com, "Domenic Livoli" <dlivoli@c...>
      wrote:
      > Rebecca,
      >
      > Where are you from? There are some Belcastro's in Medford, MA.
      >
      > It's very funny. My mom's family is from Itri. Her brother, my
      uncle Mike Pezza (birth name, Michele Pezza), married my aunt (maiden
      name Merandi (father) and Quattrucci (mother)), who is Calabrese, and
      her family was from San Giovanni in Fiore, Calabria. I know at least
      one of her parents was from there. Judging by the way people met and
      married 80 years ago, both of her parents were probably from there.
      She was born here, though. She is in her late 70's and Mike Pezza is
      in his early 80's. Quite a coincidence.

      Anyway, another
      > member of the group from San Giovanni In Fiore, Cosenza,
      Calabria, wrote back and
      > said that is because I am ?descended? from Michele PEZZA a/k/a
      Fra Diavolo.
      > After reading his history, I am relieved that this is the
      nickname source.

      > Apparently, Michele PEZZA spent time in San Giovanni in Fiore
      during which
      > he ?married? a local woman. Since my BELCASTRO ancestors are
      from that same
      > town, and if, indeed, the above is all true, can anyone in this
      group give me
      > more information regarding this connection? Any information.
      Thanks so much.

      > Rebecca Belcastro Drummond

      Italian