White Collar Crime and Messy Lawns

  • BrutusG@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
      Cedric and Gang;

      Had an interesting conversation with Ann this morning and she made an excellent point about Eric's old house and the 'opportunities' with the new owner and the seizure of the house by the Federal Government.

      If I am correct, the house has been seized by the Secret Service folks and will likely remain unoccupied untill the U.S. Government completes it prosecution of the owner.  My guess is that could be anywhere from several months to several years.  During that time who will be maintaining the property?  Specifically, lawn up keep and such.  While I would like to think that our Federal Government would take care of such ammenities, I doubt that is the case.

      My questions follow;
      Should we be pro-adctive and approach the Secret Service folks for clarification about how the property will be maintained?
      If the property will NOT be maintined by the Federal Government can we request such action?
      If we strike out on the above requests perhaps we should form a group to take maintain the yard?  (I'll be glad to help if so)

      I recognize that this is a rather low-priority item for the Neighborhood Group but I would hate to see the house revert to it's former overgrown condition.  If I can help in any way with this just let me know.  I'll be glad to make contact with the Government folks if that has not yet been done.

      David
      524 Angier Avenue, NE

    • Sharon Jones
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001

        The house has been seized by the SS - thus the giant moving trucks outside all last week.  From my conversation with Agent Laub, the house itself reverts back to the bank where the guy allegedly got the loan fraudulently.  The bank (or the bank's insurer) will put it on the market and attempt to recoup it's losses.  I do not believe that this process will be held up by the actual criminal case.  My understanding is that there is the criminal element and the civil element - one not being dependent upon the other.  If the bank does in fact put in on the market, then it's usually the realtor that keeps the property up.  But, if you want to contact the agent for verification, I have his name and number.  However, as late as last week, the guy was still in the house.  I can only assume that he moved out after they removed all of his possessions.

          BrutusG@... wrote:

[...]

        To access the NewFourthWard web site, go to:
        http://www.egroups.com/group/NewFourthWard

        Do You Yahoo!?

      • David; Atlanta, GA
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
          Sharon;
          Thanks for your quick response.

          Lets just wait and see if the property is maintained.  If not I will be glad to follow up with the Secret Service Agent that is handling the case.

          David