The Sinking of the Reuben James on 31 October 1941

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29 3:38 PM
      Hello Everyone,

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jBbCQwJ0g

      On 31 October 1941 the USS Reuben James, a four-stack Clemson-class destroyer was on escort duty with four other destroyers, escorting convoy HX-156. As the convoy was off Iceland, Reuben James placed herself between an ammunition ship and the known position of a U-boat wolf pack. Reuben James was hit by a torpedo fired by U-552 commanded by Kapitan-Leutnant Erich Topp. The torpedo blew off the ship's bow and her magazine exploded. The aft section sank within 5 minutes. Only 44 of the 159 man crew survived.
      In 1942 Woody Guthrie sang the song "The Sinking of the Reuben James", the refrain goes "What were their names, tell me what were their names, did you have a friend on the good Reuben James". I've been familiar with this song for years and recently found a video of the Kingston trio singing this song. The video is well done, showing the ship and answering the question that I've heard all these years….What were their names.
      This video makes you stop and think about the sacrifice of those who served in WWII. Take a look/listen, and remember the name of the good Reuben James.

      Thank you,
      Mike
    • John Roberts
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29 4:57 PM
        As a side note, the name Reuben James, as a commander, was used in the movie Hunt for Red October. Now I get the reference!

        John

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29 6:20 PM
          It was well known(although not public knowledge) in early 1941 that the USN had orders from then Adm King to respond to any U-Boat action on the high seas. This action against the Reuben James brought it to the fore. This resulted in FDR's famous speech of "shoot on sight". Of course it wasn't too much longer before all hell broke loose, OFFICIALLY.
        • dhattier@mchsi.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30 4:53 AM
            tahks for posting this. Helps us to remember the trechery practised by our enemies be they Nazi, Soviet or Islamic.
            To bad we arent the same way back to the bastards.

            -------------- Original message from John Roberts <jvhroberts19702@...>: --------------