Re: 1797 Round Hat Specs. Request

  • jkrause365
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1 12:37 PM
      I suspect it was purely decoration.
      JimK

      > If you find information please put it on here. The only thing I have seen
      > is in The Lewis and Clark equipment book, "Taylor Made and Trail Worn". The
      > hat is discussed in this book. This book can be bought cheaply online now.
      > I paid $15 for the last copy I bought as a Christmas gift for little
      > brother.
      >

      > I have a hat I am ready to cut down too. I've got an old bear hide too. Is
      > the bear hide for protection from rain and cold? From musket balls? Show?
      > Is it a takeoff on the old British and French hats? I have not figured that
      > out.
    • Eric Matthews
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1 4:32 PM
        The fur served two purposes, to protect the crown of the hat from rain (bear
        being naturally oily worked well in this capacity), and to lend the hat a
        military appearance (which is why the cockade and white feathering were
        added also). One must remember that the base round hat was exceptionally
        common in the period, to make them look more military the adornment was
        added. The round hat accessorization wasn't fundamentally different than
        the navy embroidering "chicken guts" on the bill of officers baseball caps
        and a ships patch on the crown of all baseball hats today to differentiate
        them from a baseball cap any civilian can buy at their local store.

        EM

        p.s.
        Steve Allie covered the hat rather well in his book on the Clueless and Lark
        expedition.

        On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Donald A. Drefke
        <don@...>wrote:

        > Jim,
        >
        > If you find information please put it on here. The only thing I have seen
        > is in The Lewis and Clark equipment book, "Taylor Made and Trail Worn". The
        > hat is discussed in this book. This book can be bought cheaply online now.
        > I paid $15 for the last copy I bought as a Christmas gift for little
        > brother.
        >
        > I have a hat I am ready to cut down too. I've got an old bear hide too. Is
        > the bear hide for protection from rain and cold? From musket balls? Show?
        > Is it a takeoff on the old British and French hats? I have not figured that
        > out.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Don Drefke
        >
        > _____

      • Bryan Everhart
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2 6:01 PM
          Thanks for your interest in the gathering.
          In the past the county has had Steve Allie from the Fort Leavenworth museum out doing an 1812 dragoon impression with his horse. I will find out from the county parks dept. and get back to you.
          Please keep in mid that the COHT time period goes from 1600-1860. I don't think that part of your seup would be a problem.
          Do you have a website?
          Thanks again.
          Sincerely,
          BE

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 8 3:59 AM
            Sorry for the delay. I talked to the site director and he said it's OK for you to come out with your horses.
            He would like you to setup in the west field. What day do you think you'll be out?
            Thank you.
            BE

            I am interested in participating in the COHT National Gathering at Fort Osage April 13-17. My husband and I have an interest in historical displays and re-enactments and have a variety of saddles, uniforms, equipment and weapons from pre-Civil War up through World War 1.  As horse people we are wondering if horses are welcome at this event as part of the display or if they come under the 'No pet' clause for Ft Osage?

            --- In FortOsage@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Everhart <brnbess@...> wrote:

            > We'd like to invite folks to come out and participate in the COHT National Gathering.
            > It will be at Fort Osage April 13-17.
            > Information and pre-registration can be found at this link, http://www.coht.org/Gathering/index.html
            >
            > We are currently working on the schedule of events.
            > Hope folks can make it out.
            >
            > BE

          • Bryan Everhart
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 8 4:30 PM
              Hi,
              I thought I had responded but appearently I didn't.
              Steve thesite director said it's cool for you to come out. I think it will add to the evet having you there. Please keep in mind out time period.
              He wants you to set up in the West field. What day will you be there? I'll be coming out Thursday morning.
              Let me know if you have anymore questions.
              Sincerely,
              BE