Re: [FootyUSA] A bit confused by the rule, and a few initial thoughts on design

  • Greg lAMB
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 1, 2006
      Doug,
      What is this Carbon Tissue Composite, and where do I get some.  I too am working on a modified hull plug (rounded Razor), and will be striving for a stiff but light hull.

      Greg

      Doug Hemingway <doughemi@...> wrote:
      Tallastro wrote:
      >I've been thinking about a very similar
      >hull. My idea exaggerates the Moth design having lots of buoyancy along
      >the outside. My theory is it will lift the other side out of the water
      >when heeled.

      That's what I've been working on, too. See the Cat's Paw album in the Photos section. This is
      Bill Hagerup's Cats Paw design. Unfortunately, I'm not as fast a builder as some of you, but
      then I get to profit from others' experience. Bill and I think that the wider center of buoyancy
      will allow her to carry more sail than the Bobabout rig. Unlike Tallastro, I am going to use a
      single keel.

      The plan is to pull a mold off this plug and then lay the hull up with Angus Richardson's
      depron/carbon tissue composite. The plug is actually two pieces, and the mold will be in two
      pieces as well.

      Bill and I are anxious to find out if practice follows theory!

      Doug

    • Dennis Desprois
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 2, 2006
        Bob,
        I work with carbon fiber all of the time for US1M's, 36/600's Marbleheads etc.  The sheets might be Ok used instead of ply etc on a hard chine but for a molded lay up, gotta use cloth.
        Dennis D.
        I would think that unless you are a re
        starrsteamer <cgnr@...> wrote:
        Never have worked with carbon fiber, but when I was looking at one of
        my suppliers I noticed that they offer this material:
        http://www.tapplast ics.com/shop/ product.php? pid=100&
        Anybody ever use this? Seems to me that one could make a decent chine
        boat with this stuff....... .......if they weren't out of stock :-(
        Bob