Re: [FootyUSA] mcrig sheeting geometry

  • Franz Gysi
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2013
      Sorry Kurt

      My Footy is not finished, I have no experience what is working and what not.

      Franz

      2013/3/7 Kurt <zimmermankurt18@...>

      Hello!
      Having problems with my sons mcrigged footy. I'm using futaba s3004 servos for the sail, and the servo gets stalled an awefull lot. I've tried redoing the geometry on the sail, but it is still happening. How do you get the sheet far enough out onto the boom to get good mechanical advantage? Right now I'm using a slider on the boom to attempt to get good travel, but it still seems as thought the servo just doesn't have enough oomph to do it.
      Thanks,
      kurt

    • Al Szymanski

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2013
        This a deck view of my footy with a S3003 and fairlead for a Mcrig.  About a 40 degree sweep brings sail from full out to full in position.  Hope this helpd

        Message 4 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013
          Hi Kurt, I see you have some help from others, but I'll try, too.

          First, you don't need to get the sheet far out on the boom for leverage. The forces on our small sails are not that strong, which leads me to wonder whether your servo might be bad...the s3004 has a bit more torque than the smaller winch that I use. But we'll make sure your geometry is OK before worrying about that.

          My Footys are all set up pretty much the same these days. The screw eye I use for a fairlead is 3 inches forward of the mast. The loop on the boom that I clip the sheet to is directly above the fairlead.

          Your boom shouldn't be more than an inch or so above the deck. If the boom is too high, or the attachment point is not closely aligned with the fairlead, the sheet will be too long between the attachment point and the fairlead and the sail will not pull in enough for close-hauled sailing no matter how much torque your servo has.

          My sheet goes from the fairlead directly back to the end of the sail winch arm. My winch arm is 3 inches long.

          If you don't have room for a 3 inch arm, try this. Run the sheet from the fairlead aft through a hole in the end of your winch arm, then continue the sheet back to the mast and secure it with a loop...you might use a bowsie there so you can adjust the length. With this setup, you get added leverage from the double haul.

          If you still have trouble after trying this, I suggest you try a different servo.

          Let us know how it goes.......Bill