Halfpint Footy for sale.....

  • rv4pilott
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 16 5:05 PM
      Hello, I have a brand new Halfpint Footy for sale. The Halfpint is the latest design by Bill Hagerup. The hull is the white plastic hull made by Craig Huzway. The servos are brand new and waterproofed. The sail servo is a Hitec HS-225 with metal gears, and the rudder servo is a Hitec HS-81. It comes with an A and B rig. If you have any questions about it or you want to see some photos of it just ask. I am asking $175.00 for it. Thanks, Jeff Davenport
    • Julian Cane
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 16 5:22 PM
        What or whose sails do you have???????

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 16 5:28 PM
          Hi Julian, The sails were made by myself and are the McRig style. They have three panels in them and were made on a sail block with the material being ripstop. Thanks for your interest... Jeff D
          --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, Julian Cane <salt_water_frog@...> wrote:

          > What or whose sails do you have???????

        • A. Anthony Dodson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 17 7:45 AM
            Julie, My Razor Footy has a homemade McRig sail described in the AMYA magazine issue devoted to Footys.  The sail is paneled with 9% camber.

            My Wooden Boat magazine's Presto kit had me make an 1800s type gaff rig main and plain jib, both single panel with no shaping at all for the jib except that it's supposed to use a topping lift that creates some fullness.

            I would bid on the Halfpint except I'm not sure SFMYC will ever have another Footy regatta.
            T.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 17 3:01 PM
              What happened at the FOOTY regatta????????????????????????

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 17 4:50 PM
                Julie, You asked what happened at the Footy regatta,  There were 5 contestants: 2 guys from Bakersfield, Rich Styles, Lee Duval and me.  Before the first start I was showing Topo Gigio to Stephen Ma and then I put it in the water and it started sailing in a straight line like it was absolutely balanced, no weather or lee helm.  I was ecstatic.  At the start I was right up there but pretty soon the other boats passed me on the way to the first mark.  I thought that's OK, it's probably not very competitive but it looks great.  The second mark was way out there in the motorboat area.  I was last to round it.  But, I couldn't seem to get it around the mark.  A big wind would grab it and pretty soon it would be started back where it came from.  I guess my eyes aren't too good because it was so far away I could hardly tell what it was doing.  Pretty soon the other boats were at the next mark in Turtle Cove and it was obvious that I would finish more than 5 minutes after the first finisher.  So, I just started sailing back to the starting line.  That took me so long that I held up the next race waiting for me to get back.  So, in the 2nd race the same sort of thing started happening so I just threw in the towel and left.  I went to Stonestown to shop at Trader Joe's.  As I dejectedly walked back to the car with my groceries it came to me that I should go home and get my Razor and go back and resume racing.  If they didn't like me doing that it would just be tough because any member of the public is entitled to sail.
                So later I started a race with the Razor and did very poorly.  I was surprised.  I had never sailed with another Footy and didn't know how my boat would compare but I believed it would be OK.  But, it was the slowest.  I decided it might be having lee helm.  I really couldn't tell but anything was worth a try.  So, for the next race I bent the "Z" bar so that the sail was raked back.  So, before the next race I sailed around behind the starting line and started doing 360s to see how it did at each point of sail.  It seemed to be doing well.  Then at the start I paused it and then stated after the starting signal.  But, it's like someone turned off the current; the boat didn't want to do anything. I finally got it going but was way behind.  At the first mark I bumped into the mark and spent a lot of time trying to get around it.  Now the rest of the boats were way ahead.  I threw in the towel again and went home.  Disgusted.
                However, hope springs eternal and I have plans to improve the sails on Topo Gigio and make a bigger sail for the Razor.  The Bakersfield guys seemed to have bigger sails.
                One of the Bakersfield guys got first place,  I think Rich got second place using a club Footy that he modified extensively someone said.  He's so happy with that Footy that he has gotten the club to agree to give that boat to him if he replaces it with another Victor Footy that he will build himself.  He wants to attach the "chevrons" he was awarded to the boat and keep it as a trophy.
                Lee Duval is not a wind sailer but he's learning.  He was way last in the AMYA Santa Barbara regatta but he did better with a club Footy.
                A kid who never sailed before started noodling around with a club Footy and was faster than me with my Razor.
                John Super has pointed out that much needs to be done to achieve reasonable organization of regattas.  He's loaning Bob Heacock a great big book on race organization.  Each "department" needs to have a leader and list of duties and there must be an overall coordinator for all the departments:  publicity, food, scoring etc.  Sounds like they need someone like you to keep the "children" in line.

                On Jul 17, 2012, at 3:01 PM, "Julian Cane" <salt_water_frog@...> wrote:

                What happened at the FOOTY regatta????????????????????????

                Hello, I have a brand new Halfpint Footy for sale. The Halfpint is the latest design by Bill Hagerup. The hull is the white plastic hull made by Craig Huzway. The servos are brand new and waterproofed. The sail servo is a Hitec HS-225 with metal gears, and the rudder servo is a Hitec HS-81. It comes with an A and B rig. If you have any questions about it or you want to see some photos of it just ask. I am asking $175.00 for it. Thanks, Jeff Davenport

              • Mark
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 17 6:06 PM
                  Don't beat yourself up Anthony. Racing is hard and another skill set on top of sailing. Many and possibly most the racers have been yacht racing in one form or another for better than twenty years. We have two national champions who race at my club so when they both show up I feel good to get thirds and stoked on the occasion I get past one of them. When you get around top sailors make it your mission to learn as much as you can from them. Watch what they do and how they do it. Unless there is a race on most are very willing to help if you ask.
                  Live slow-Sail fast
                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 17 6:41 PM
                    I'd bet the guys from Bakersfield were ssailing POOL SHARKS