Footy Opalek

  • africatijn
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
      Hi All,
      First let met introduce myself, my name is Tijn Megens, from the Netherlands. 36 years old, and back into model sailing. I left the hobby at around 20 years old, and just picked it up again. Started with a Micro Magic (lots of fun for the kids as well), but was looking for something "different". I found this in the Footies. It now seems I got hold of the last Footy Opalek from our polish friend Pawel Djanek. I am trying to reach him to see if he is willing to produce more sets.

      When I am well underway with the building process (three kids, so 5 minutes of spare time each day...) I will post some pictures.

      Regards!
      Tijn
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
        Hi Tijn...and welcome.

        Pavel gave me a laser-cut set of Opalek a couple years ago when we raced together in the UK. If you can't get any more from him, I'd be happy to send it to you.

        Bill

        --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "africatijn" <africatijn@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > First let met introduce myself, my name is Tijn Megens, from the Netherlands. 36 years old, and back into model sailing. I left the hobby at around 20 years old, and just picked it up again. Started with a Micro Magic (lots of fun for the kids as well), but was looking for something "different". I found this in the Footies. It now seems I got hold of the last Footy Opalek from our polish friend Pawel Djanek. I am trying to reach him to see if he is willing to produce more sets.
        >
        > When I am well underway with the building process (three kids, so 5 minutes of spare time each day...) I will post some pictures.
        >
        > Regards!
        > Tijn

      • Tijn
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
          Hi Bill,

          Thanks for your kind offer. I did mail Pavel, and he is planning on making more sets. He stated on his website (www.modelmaniak.pl a little of a quest to get to the right page. Use the google translate option, and go to ZPM Exchange) that he is temporarily not producing. Still working on my first Footy, so no hurries.

          One question, can you use AAA size batteries, or require the rules AA battery type?

          Regards,
          Tijn.

          --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <billhagerup@...> wrote:

          > Hi Tijn...and welcome.
          >
          > Pavel gave me a laser-cut set of Opalek a couple years ago when we raced together in the UK. If you can't get any more from him, I'd be happy to send it to you.
          >
          > Bill
          >
          > --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "africatijn" <africatijn@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All,
          > > First let met introduce myself, my name is Tijn Megens, from the Netherlands. 36 years old, and back into model sailing. I left the hobby at around 20 years old, and just picked it up again. Started with a Micro Magic (lots of fun for the kids as well), but was looking for something "different". I found this in the Footies. It now seems I got hold of the last Footy Opalek from our polish friend Pawel Djanek. I am trying to reach him to see if he is willing to produce more sets.
          > >
          > > When I am well underway with the building process (three kids, so 5 minutes of spare time each day...) I will post some pictures.
          > >
          > > Regards!
          > > Tijn

        • Trevor
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
            Tijn,

            The Footy rules are in
            http://footy.rcsailing.net/footyrules_2009.pdf

            Line 1 states that "These are open class rules in which anything not specifically restricted or prohibited is permitted."

            If you do a search for " batt " there is only one occurrence, namely, "C.2 Batteries shall be placed within the hull."

            This does not specify battery type at all, just their placement, therefore you can use any type or number you chose.

            Cheers,

            firstfooty

            --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Tijn" <africatijn@...> wrote:

            > Hi Bill,
            >
            > Thanks for your kind offer. I did mail Pavel, and he is planning on making more sets. He stated on his website (www.modelmaniak.pl a little of a quest to get to the right page. Use the google translate option, and go to ZPM Exchange) that he is temporarily not producing. Still working on my first Footy, so no hurries.
            >
            > One question, can you use AAA size batteries, or require the rules AA battery type?
            >
            > Regards,
            > Tijn.
            >

            > --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <billhagerup@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Tijn...and welcome.
            > >
            > > Pavel gave me a laser-cut set of Opalek a couple years ago when we raced together in the UK. If you can't get any more from him, I'd be happy to send it to you.
            > >
            > > Bill
            > >
            > > --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "africatijn" <africatijn@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi All,
            > > > First let met introduce myself, my name is Tijn Megens, from the Netherlands. 36 years old, and back into model sailing. I left the hobby at around 20 years old, and just picked it up again. Started with a Micro Magic (lots of fun for the kids as well), but was looking for something "different". I found this in the Footies. It now seems I got hold of the last Footy Opalek from our polish friend Pawel Djanek. I am trying to reach him to see if he is willing to produce more sets.
            > > >
            > > > When I am well underway with the building process (three kids, so 5 minutes of spare time each day...) I will post some pictures.
            > > >
            > > > Regards!
            > > > Tijn

          • Andrew Halstead
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2011
              Hi, Tijn

              Good luck with your Opalek, its a nice little boat and a credit to Pawel.
              When the sails are sized to suit the winds (and I guess the winds in the NL are like those in the UK) its a nice and balanced sailor.

              Gary Sanderson also was given a complete one by Pawel and lent it to a sailor whose radio had failed.  He came 3rd at a meeting at Wicksteed. despite missing several races.

              The sail mods, as I remember, involved scissors and tape and resulted in a well-balanced rig in the gusty conditions under the Wicksteed trees.

              I had a kit, too and gave it away to a good home.  But I did think there is enough information in the plans I have to make another kit for myself ;-}

              regards,
              andrew