Ranger in Clevedon, UK

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2011
      Scott Wallis of the UK was one of the first to build a Ranger, and he just posted a regatta report on the RCsailing.net forum. He won, which is nice, but there were only 4 boats so that may not be definitive.

      What is definitive about the race, though, and the reason for this post, is that Ranger performed well in very heavy wind conditions. In the pictures Scott posted, you can see that he has a rig properly sized for the conditions. I particularly like the shot of Ranger going straight downwind from the Pirate Island.

      I've been suggesting Ranger to people as a good light-air boat, and Ranger3 as the all-around design. Based on Scott's experience, it seems I don't need to do that anymore :)

      Thanks, Scott...and say Hi to the old pirate Andy T for me.

      Bill
    • wallis_100
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29, 2011
        Bill,

        Thanks for that :-) (AND FOR AN AWESOME DESIGN)

        I agree, its hard to be definative from just 1 race series.
        I have sailed it on other occasions, whilst setting up the rigs, and it certainly showed good speed.

        As you say, the right rig is KEY, but it does perform well in all conditions, i'm looking forward to sailing it as much as i can

        Scott