Shark 3

  • Walter
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
      A picture of Butch Bragg's Shark 3 appears on the main Footy website. Nothing much has been said about in the ensuing months, and curiosity is overwhelming me.

      It looks very much like a foam version of the Pool Shark, and there was a brief mention that it was winning races. But is it the boat or the skipper? It looks like Butch is successfully using a conventional McRig, much like Brett's 3-D Bob-About 2. I suspect it probably has a heavier bulb than the conventional 8 oz, because of the limited keel depth. Is it contiuing to win races? or has Butch come up with something even better? Or perhaps the Florida racing goes inactive in the summer.
    • Butch
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
        Hi Walter:
        Things have been slow here and the Footy following has definately dimimished. We have had only four events since the Nationals.
        My new boats did well in all three.
        Despite what the picture may imply the boat is much different than the pool shark. The sloping deck is the only similarity. Similar decks can be found on Hunter boats also. Unlike the Pool Shark my boats are narrow, even narrower than Shark2 that I sailed in the Nationals. The Shark 3 unlike the previous sharks is not a foam boat.
        The boats are constructed of carbon fiber tissue. The keel bulb still weighs eight ounces. Ready to sail the boat weighs 13 oz.
        I built a plug and a mold. Three boats from the mold have been assembled and raced. The other two are sailed by George Reed and Dave Griesse. The rigs have a shorter Z wire to accomodate fitting in the box. George Reed adapted his sail to something similar to a Lazer sail. Soon after the Nationals George bought a Pool Shark and initially he kept beating me. After much trial and error I developed a newer boat and started beating George. When I started beating him consistently he asked that I build a boat for him. Bear in mind skipper skills as well. Give George an I boats of the same speed and he will beat me 7 out of 10 races.

        Enter a new Chapter and John Egizi.
        Bear in mind that John has been absent for a couple races since I beat his new Pool Shark shortly after the Nationals.
        At the last event John shows up with a revamped Pool Shark bearing a huge swing rig and ten ounces tied to the bottom.
        John consistently walked off from us with this big rig on his Pool Shark and went home with a first place win.
        Sooooooooooo............ it looks like it is back to the trial and error drawing board for me.

        We are planning an All Florida Regatta for the first week of December in Vero. This of course does not mean you have to live in Florida to be welcome to come and sail with us.
        I will post more details as they are confirmed.

        best regards
        Butch

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
          Butch,

          Thank you for all the good information. We have been racing Footys in our Old Farts Regatta every Thursday morning, and our group is slowly growing. Some of the boats are currently light-weight Razor 3's built of thin depron foam. One member has a standard Pool Shark, but it has not been significantly faster. Scott Spacie visits us occasionally to calibrate our progress, and usually beats us convincingly with his depron Razor 3.

          Have you done any testing of your various hull designs, to obtain comparative drag data? It is easy to do, but requires the patience to half-build several hull types so they can be tested without the appendages, although it might be more difficult if there are alligators around (we don't have that problem).

          --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Butch" <bbragg1@...> wrote:

          > Hi Walter:
          > Things have been slow here and the Footy following has definately dimimished. We have had only four events since the Nationals.
          > My new boats did well in all three.
          > Despite what the picture may imply the boat is much different than the pool shark. The sloping deck is the only similarity. Similar decks can be found on Hunter boats also. Unlike the Pool Shark my boats are narrow, even narrower than Shark2 that I sailed in the Nationals. The Shark 3 unlike the previous sharks is not a foam boat.
          > The boats are constructed of carbon fiber tissue. The keel bulb still weighs eight ounces. Ready to sail the boat weighs 13 oz.
          > I built a plug and a mold. Three boats from the mold have been assembled and raced. The other two are sailed by George Reed and Dave Griesse. The rigs have a shorter Z wire to accomodate fitting in the box. George Reed adapted his sail to something similar to a Lazer sail. Soon after the Nationals George bought a Pool Shark and initially he kept beating me. After much trial and error I developed a newer boat and started beating George. When I started beating him consistently he asked that I build a boat for him. Bear in mind skipper skills as well. Give George an I boats of the same speed and he will beat me 7 out of 10 races.
          >
          > Enter a new Chapter and John Egizi.
          > Bear in mind that John has been absent for a couple races since I beat his new Pool Shark shortly after the Nationals.
          > At the last event John shows up with a revamped Pool Shark bearing a huge swing rig and ten ounces tied to the bottom.
          > John consistently walked off from us with this big rig on his Pool Shark and went home with a first place win.
          > Sooooooooooo............ it looks like it is back to the trial and error drawing board for me.
          >
          > We are planning an All Florida Regatta for the first week of December in Vero. This of course does not mean you have to live in Florida to be welcome to come and sail with us.
          > I will post more details as they are confirmed.
          >
          > best regards
          > Butch
          >
          > --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Walter" <walthollinger@> wrote:
          > >
          > > A picture of Butch Bragg's Shark 3 appears on the main Footy website. Nothing much has been said about in the ensuing months, and curiosity is overwhelming me.
          > >
          > > It looks very much like a foam version of the Pool Shark, and there was a brief mention that it was winning races. But is it the boat or the skipper? It looks like Butch is successfully using a conventional McRig, much like Brett's 3-D Bob-About 2. I suspect it probably has a heavier bulb than the conventional 8 oz, because of the limited keel depth. Is it contiuing to win races? or has Butch come up with something even better? Or perhaps the Florida racing goes inactive in the summer.

        • Butch Bragg
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
            Sounds good that you have regulars to sail on Thursdays. We sail on Thursday evenings but due to daylight savings time looks like this Thursday will be our last till Spring when time changes back. Good to hear Scott is sailing. He is a tough competitor, great boat builder and a great skipper.

            I have no idea how to test for comparative drag data.
            All my testing is done by way of racing. If it wins I leave it alone if it loses I try to fix it or build another one. I am not a scientific builder my method of building is all trial and error accompanied by experimentation. I have probably had more failures than successes.
             But ultimately I probably just have more tries than most people do.
            I may have also attracted more Alligators than most folks.  : )

            On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Walter <walthollinger@...> wrote:

> [...]

            > I will post more details as they are confirmed.
            >
            > best regards
            > Butch
            >
            > --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Walter" <walthollinger@> wrote:
            > >
            > > A picture of Butch Bragg's Shark 3 appears on the main Footy website. Nothing much has been said about in the ensuing months, and curiosity is overwhelming me.
            > >
            > > It looks very much like a foam version of the Pool Shark, and there was a brief mention that it was winning races. But is it the boat or the skipper? It looks like Butch is successfully using a conventional McRig, much like Brett's 3-D Bob-About 2. I suspect it probably has a heavier bulb than the conventional 8 oz, because of the limited keel depth. Is it contiuing to win races? or has Butch come up with something even better? Or perhaps the Florida racing goes inactive in the summer.

          • Mark
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
              There are easy ways to generate numbers for speed and distance. We use to test bicycle and motorcycle windshields by timing them coasting down a big hill. If nothing else hook up a fishing line and drop a weight to time the boat through the water for a measurable distance. Get it to where it is repeatable and you can then generate data. Then make your changes and test again.
              Testing against another boat that is not also making changes at the same time can give a good idea if even a small change is helping. It is usually easier to notice a reduction in performance than an increase so sometimes it requires a lot of changing back and forth to be sure.
              Live slow-sail fast
              Mark