More progress.

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2010
      Cut some new nylon sails and had a chance to try them out yesterday in very light conditions. Other than the few dead calms I had a wonderful day as this set seems much better balanced to the boat. It turns! Now all I have to do is learn how to read the wind, hah! I'll post a pic in my album and if anyone has any thoughts on more improvements feel free to suggest. Since my mast location is different than the plan, I just may have to build another hull to try the uni-rig, and this time get the SCALE right for a true Footy.

      As I don't have a way to "heat cut" the edges, I hemmed them all with double sided tape, laborious but seems to be holding. Then added a couple of acetate battens the same way to the main sail. Slowly learning.

      Doug
    • Stanley
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2010
        Hi Doug,

        My experience using 1/2 oz. coated rip-stop nylon is that heat cut is not necessary. Probably a good idea, but I've had no fraying with scissor-cut edges. For battens I've been cutting strips of the same material and using iron-on fabric adhesive to attach the strips on both sides of the sail. The stiffness of 3 layers plus the adhesive seems to provide about the right stiffness.

        --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" <pg_hermit@...> wrote:

        > Cut some new nylon sails and had a chance to try them out yesterday in very light conditions. Other than the few dead calms I had a wonderful day as this set seems much better balanced to the boat. It turns! Now all I have to do is learn how to read the wind, hah! I'll post a pic in my album and if anyone has any thoughts on more improvements feel free to suggest. Since my mast location is different than the plan, I just may have to build another hull to try the uni-rig, and this time get the SCALE right for a true Footy.
        >
        > As I don't have a way to "heat cut" the edges, I hemmed them all with double sided tape, laborious but seems to be holding. Then added a couple of acetate battens the same way to the main sail. Slowly learning.
        >
        > Doug

      • carljhansen
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2010
          Hi Doug,
          Stanley is absolutely right - rip stop can be cut with either scissors or an Xacto knife. I use one of the rolling cutters that are sold for quilting. You would also need a cutting mat to work on. These are sold at Michaels or other craft stores. Then, unless there is specific need to reinforce an edge, there is no reason to do so.

          Regarding tape, I have become a fan of Mylar. It is very light and comes in a multitude of widths and colors. It is extremely easy to work with, but once it is put down the adhesive becomes nearly permanent. While the Mylar can be removed without too much trouble, Goo-Gone is necessary to remove the adhesive. Sails I made over two years ago still look brand new. The biggest sin of Mylar is also one of its greatest attributes -- it doesn't stretch easily. So, on the plus side, when you are placing a piece on a sail you won't end up with the sail cloth getting accordioned. On the negative side, if you use the tape to trim a hull, you will find you can't stretch it into a turn. Even if you force the issue, the Mylar will quickly return to being a very straight piece of tape.

          If you look at the photos under "North NJ Footies" you can see several colors of the Mylar tape, particularly along the luff of each sail (I do fold that edge over).

          Please note that the reinforcing tape at the corners of the sails are not Mylar. They are made from sail mending tape. Attachment points to the mast and spars are simply a hole in the sail mending tape created by a hot finishing nail.

          I even use the Mylar for the numbers on my sails. They are bright, reflective and appear as silver on the obverse side. There is a trick to making the numbers which I would be happy to post if anyone is interested.

          Carl
          --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" <pg_hermit@...> wrote:

          > Cut some new nylon sails and had a chance to try them out yesterday in very light conditions. Other than the few dead calms I had a wonderful day as this set seems much better balanced to the boat. It turns! Now all I have to do is learn how to read the wind, hah! I'll post a pic in my album and if anyone has any thoughts on more improvements feel free to suggest. Since my mast location is different than the plan, I just may have to build another hull to try the uni-rig, and this time get the SCALE right for a true Footy.
          >
          > As I don't have a way to "heat cut" the edges, I hemmed them all with double sided tape, laborious but seems to be holding. Then added a couple of acetate battens the same way to the main sail. Slowly learning.
          >
          > Doug

        • Stanley
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2010
            Thanks for the mylar tape idea! I would be very interested in your number-making techniques. I've been numbering by printing out the #s in an appropriate point and font, taping the paper to the underside of the sail, then tracing and filling with a Sharpie. Success depends on a steady hand. I Googled "mylar tape" - what sort of store do you find it at?

            --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "carljhansen" <carljhansen@...> wrote:

            > Hi Doug,
            > Stanley is absolutely right - rip stop can be cut with either scissors or an Xacto knife. I use one of the rolling cutters that are sold for quilting. You would also need a cutting mat to work on. These are sold at Michaels or other craft stores. Then, unless there is specific need to reinforce an edge, there is no reason to do so.
            >
            > Regarding tape, I have become a fan of Mylar. It is very light and comes in a multitude of widths and colors. It is extremely easy to work with, but once it is put down the adhesive becomes nearly permanent. While the Mylar can be removed without too much trouble, Goo-Gone is necessary to remove the adhesive. Sails I made over two years ago still look brand new. The biggest sin of Mylar is also one of its greatest attributes -- it doesn't stretch easily. So, on the plus side, when you are placing a piece on a sail you won't end up with the sail cloth getting accordioned. On the negative side, if you use the tape to trim a hull, you will find you can't stretch it into a turn. Even if you force the issue, the Mylar will quickly return to being a very straight piece of tape.
            >
            > If you look at the photos under "North NJ Footies" you can see several colors of the Mylar tape, particularly along the luff of each sail (I do fold that edge over).
            >
            > Please note that the reinforcing tape at the corners of the sails are not Mylar. They are made from sail mending tape. Attachment points to the mast and spars are simply a hole in the sail mending tape created by a hot finishing nail.
            >
            > I even use the Mylar for the numbers on my sails. They are bright, reflective and appear as silver on the obverse side. There is a trick to making the numbers which I would be happy to post if anyone is interested.
            >
            > Carl
            > --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" <pg_hermit@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Cut some new nylon sails and had a chance to try them out yesterday in very light conditions. Other than the few dead calms I had a wonderful day as this set seems much better balanced to the boat. It turns! Now all I have to do is learn how to read the wind, hah! I'll post a pic in my album and if anyone has any thoughts on more improvements feel free to suggest. Since my mast location is different than the plan, I just may have to build another hull to try the uni-rig, and this time get the SCALE right for a true Footy.
            > >
            > > As I don't have a way to "heat cut" the edges, I hemmed them all with double sided tape, laborious but seems to be holding. Then added a couple of acetate battens the same way to the main sail. Slowly learning.
            > >
            > > Doug

          • Doug Dobbyn
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2010
              Stanley and Carl;

              Only problem, this isn't ripstop, just plain ole nylon and it does fray.   The mylar tape does sound good though so I'll have to look for some.  Sign shops maybe?

              Something else I meant to mention after the last outing was about the rudder, I did most of the steering using only the trim lever on the transmitter and only rarely used the stick to turn.  I discovered this because the boat really didn't like to track straight anymore and the trim lever was the easiest way to get a straight heading.  Using the stick seemed to over control the boat but by sliding the trim lever I could turn in and out of the wind with ease or even reverse course.  I'll see what happens in a bit stronger winds.

              Doug

              Stanley is absolutely right - rip stop can be cut with either scissors or an Xacto knife. I use one of the rolling cutters that are sold for quilting. You would also need a cutting mat to work on. These are sold at Michaels or other craft stores. Then, unless there is specific need to reinforce an edge, there is no reason to do so.

              Regarding tape, I have become a fan of Mylar. It is very light and comes in a multitude of widths and colors. It is extremely easy to work with, but once it is put down the adhesive becomes nearly permanent. While the Mylar can be removed without too much trouble, Goo-Gone is necessary to remove the adhesive. Sails I made over two years ago still look brand new. The biggest sin of Mylar is also one of its greatest attributes -- it doesn't stretch easily. So, on the plus side, when you are placing a piece on a sail you won't end up with the sail cloth getting accordioned. On the negative side, if you use the tape to trim a hull, you will find you can't stretch it into a turn. Even if you force the issue, the Mylar will quickly return to being a very straight piece of tape.

              If you look at the photos under "North NJ Footies" you can see several colors of the Mylar tape, particularly along the luff of each sail (I do fold that edge over).

              Please note that the reinforcing tape at the corners of the sails are not Mylar. They are made from sail mending tape. Attachment points to the mast and spars are simply a hole in the sail mending tape created by a hot finishing nail.

              I even use the Mylar for the numbers on my sails. They are bright, reflective and appear as silver on the obverse side. There is a trick to making the numbers which I would be happy to post if anyone is interested.

              Carl
              --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" <pg_hermit@...> wrote:

              > Cut some new nylon sails and had a chance to try them out yesterday in very light conditions. Other than the few dead calms I had a wonderful day as this set seems much better balanced to the boat. It turns! Now all I have to do is learn how to read the wind, hah! I'll post a pic in my album and if anyone has any thoughts on more improvements feel free to suggest. Since my mast location is different than the plan, I just may have to build another hull to try the uni-rig, and this time get the SCALE right for a true Footy.
              >
              > As I don't have a way to "heat cut" the edges, I hemmed them all with double sided tape, laborious but seems to be holding. Then added a couple of acetate battens the same way to the main sail. Slowly learning.
              >
              > Doug

              Stanley and Carl

            • Ronald Casciato
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 12, 2010
                Doug:  You will find that Walmart carries a couple of useful Hot knives in their sewing department.....good for sealing edges.  About $20.  Ron c.