Re: [FootyUSA] Boats for Sale

  • John Blewett
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1 3:55 AM
      Hi Jack,

      Still teardroppin' but not nearly as much as I used to.  I've been doing lots of international travel for work, plus I'm trying to pack up to sell the house for a move to Florida.  Once retired and in Florida I hope to hook up with the Florida Tearjerkers.  It's been quite some time since I spoke to Mr. Run-n-Grab-Her.  I didn't make the annual CT event this year.

      Teardrops and Footys seem to be an ideal combination.

      John B.

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1 3:08 PM
        Mark,

        25 years ago, I used to sail my old J-Boat (Shamrock V) in Lake Ming (in fact I 'test floated' her in Truxtun Lakes!).

        Our club currently races at Riverlakes; which has the best winds/sailing conditions in town. I also sail a bit in the golfcourse lake behind my home (I live on the 9th hole at Seven oaks CC), but we have found the new Park at RiverWalk a real disappointment. Our club was involved early on with the park director, and it looked very promising, but poor management/planning has resulted in a lake that's virtually unusaeble for model yachts. Between the fishermen, the swimmers, and especially (as you mention) the WEEDS; the lakes at RiverWalk just can't be used. It's really sad, because it's a beautiful park with great public exposure. We usually try to schedule at least one or two events there in January or February (no swimmers), but even that time of year, the weeds can make it almost impossible.

        As for your windsurfing; I assume you did most of it at Isabella? I've never sailed there, but I always thought it would be fun to take my (full-sized) Laser up there. Everytime I drive past that lake the winds are blowing a ton - looks like a blast! :0

        --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, Mark <b1b4uc1@...> wrote:

        > I know where B-town is, lived there for 19 years before my great escape. I must
        > know some of your crew. My windsurfing exploits even made the local paper and TV
        > stations several times in the 80s and 90s. I still find my way back there from
        > time to time.
        >

        > I checked out the RC sailing venues last time I was there that are posted on the
        > web site but did not sail. The one in the park was full of gunk (not good for a
        > vertical keel) and the other one I was not comfortable not knowing anyone one
        > there as it was a private lake with homes all around. I did walk around a bit
        > and it looks like a good place to sail if the wind comes down the slot.
        >

        > Need to build a footy so I can come up and race with you guys. Looks easy enough
        > to build but building a competitive footy... that’s the challenge.
        >

        > Any other places to RC sail in the area. BV or Ming? Lake Truxton? A wide spot
        > in the river?
        >

        > Anyway thanks for the invite. I like the BMYC website. Unfortunately my boat
        > does not fit any of your classes but if someone had a boat they wanted me to
        > campaign...
        >
        > Late Mark

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1 3:58 PM

          Lake Isabella is one of the best sailing lakes I have seen. During the summer and most other days (the sun shines over 300 days per year) the morning wind comes from the north and fills in to about 5-10mph. Nice light steady wind for beginners and should be great for RC boats. About 1 or 2 in the afternoon the wind shifts to the southwest and CRANKS up. Often past 30 mph but 10-20 with gusts to 25 are common. Also 15-25 mph with freight train gusts (read as 40+mph) is also common. If it turns west (over the mountain) the day changes to 5 with gusts to 25 so more challenging and less fun to sail. I have seen six foot swells breaking on the dam and had many wind waves break over my head while in the water...the place can be as dangerous as is evidenced by the lights on the surrounding hills that tell fisherman to get off the lake when the wind blows. Took a long time to convince the rangers we have been waiting for red light conditions. Finally they decided if you can demonstrate a deep water start they will leave you alone.

          You can primitive camp at the waters edge by the auxiliary dam or there are several very nice campgrounds in the area. I also use to sail/long board at Lake Ming a lot. Weedy in the fall but might be tolerable for RC.

          I have sailed Lasers and Sunfish and many other small boats, the laser 2 is an awesome boat. Had a FJ for a while and several other small boats and catamarans but windsurfing/board sailing/racing was always my passion.

          Started my first RC last winter and only had it out about a dozen times now. Starting to catch on to how to sail these little boats. The automatic jib was strange at first but now I like it and wonder why big boats don't use them. The hard part for me is designing and building a RC boat when I had never owned or sailed one before. I have my ideas on what I think will be fast but you can't beat actual experience.

          Shame about River Walk but I definitely want to check out and sail at Riverlakes next time I am up your way.

          Late Mark