Re: Razor 3 Build

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 1, 2010
      Stan, I just thought I should thank you for posting such a good build log....I'm sure it will help others.

      Thanks....Bill

      --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Stanley" <townsendpdx@...> wrote:

      > Added one pic to the build log. Keel weight fabricated from an 8 oz. trolling sinker. I attached it to the fin using a countersunk sheet metal screw - #4 X 1" maybe? Anyway, it was the largest diameter screw I thought I could get away with w/o jeopardizing the fin integrity. Also added a 1/16" brass dowel aft of the screw for alignment reinforcement. Drilled the holes for screw and dowel in the end of the fin using my fingers to spin the drill bits. I don't have a drill press and I don't trust myself with power tools drilling longitudinally into 3/16" basswood. Drilled a couple of 1/4" holes through the sinker to adjust to my target weight of 204 g. Holes filled and the whole shebang coated with an epoxy/glass microballoon mix. Sanded and ready for paint. I'm getting close here. The hull is painted and ready for fine sanding before gloss coat goes on. The paint scheme goes with the boat name - both of which I will reveal soon. Hoping to be ready for water in a week or so!
      >
      > --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Stanley" <townsendpdx@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm in the very early stages of my build of a Razor 3 (so far, so good). I've added the beginnings of a build log to my web site:
      > >
      > > www.townsendpdx.com
      > >
      > > Click on FOOTY at the top of the page, then on Razor 3.
      > >
      > > I'll be adding more as I progress.

    • Stanley
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 27, 2010
        On the epoxy issue, we're talking apples to oranges. Glass Microballoons are mixed with epoxy to make the finished product lighter and more easily sanded. There's a picture of the bottle of microballoons in my other (Kittiwake K2) build log. I just used this mix on the keel bulb, though I'm sure I could have used it (in place of straight epoxy) elsewhere and saved a gram.

        The epoxy thinned with alcohol suggestion is a wood sealer and strengthener. I'm not the guy to ask. I tried this on my Kittiwake K2, using finish cure epoxy thinned with 91% isopropyl, and didn't like the result. Ended up sanding the whole thing down to wood. I didn't seal my Razor 3 with anything but Testors spray enamel. I'd suggest a gloss coat over the paint - use the same brand as the brand of paint (I like Testors) as I've had a problem with another brand of gloss coat attacking the paint and wrinkling it.

        I'm not saying sealing with thinned epoxy is a bad idea - I probably just didn't do it right.