Re: My first Footy build.

  • wa3jml
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 1, 2010
      Hey Ted.... Very nice build so far, will be looking for more as work progresses. Like you ideas with the polystyrene. I have a ton of this stuff lying around and I have been thinking about using it in a similiar project. Your leed in this area has given me the kick to get my project underway..... Good luck with the rest of your build, and keep the pics coming.

      speedtone@...

      --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "theo570" <theo570@...> wrote:

      > Hey guys, I just want to show off the start of my first footy build.

      > It is a more or less Cobra Mk.1 from Bill Hagerup's plans. The plans are great and lended themselves well to a few minor changes on my part. The changes were simply to alter the lines more to my liking lol and I am not really sure of the difference made.
      >
      > I wanted to try something a bit different for the hull material so I chose .060 (60 thou.) Polystyrene from projects long past and forgotten. Now, polystyrene and model glue (orange stuff, whew...) are a bit tricky in a mid air build but the liberal use of painters tape made it doable. If you are a building noobie I don't suggest this as a building method. A tube of glue, two pieces of floppy plastic and a roll of tape are more than our two hands were designed to operate at one time...
      >
      > The result is a very light, strong hull that is still a bit flexible. It does need a bulkhead added before I close it up and I am sure that will firm things right up. I do plan to tape and CA all of the internal seams.
      >
      > Thanks Bill, Stan and Ted for the plans, info and help.
      >
      > Ted

    • Ale
      Message 46 of 46 , Jul 1, 2010
        Cool!
        I'm building a Cobra too.. Thanks for your photo.
        Bye

        Ale (Mascalzone)
        ITA 33
        Rome - Italy